• Id be happier with an LED

14 34.15%
  • I have an LED (and Im happy with it)

15 36.59%
  • Im just happy, and youre talking bollox

6 14.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Filament vs HID vs LED headlights ....

A couple of questions for the JNS users:

Is it adjustable up and down

Is it adjustable left and right

Is the reflector biased left or right – or is the beam centred “straight ahead” ?
    jtstdub likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post

Is the reflector biased left or right – or is the beam centred “straight ahead” ?
    don't they have that on their website?
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Nope ....

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A bright headlight is a good start, but You really want/ need a helmet light for any night riding.
    Wherever you look is lit up and this kills the tunnel vision created by the headlight. It fills in the dark spots And let’s you see down offshoots of the trail.

Trailtech had dual hid’s which were amazing but I cheaped out and use a bike halogen with a water bottle shaped battery. The trailtech hid’s are so bright I just follow my buddy closely. The halogen is more like a flashlight compared to the hid’s but it is self contained and works off bike, which is hugely handy. I have found It doesn’t take a lot of lumens if it’s focused where you’re looking.

If you do run a helmet light you need to learn to look away from oncoming traffic and hikers who step off trail, I still forget but am usually quickly reminded.
    ejfranz likes this.

Yes, it’s adjustable up and down.

The low beam pattern cut-off is flat and symmetrical left to right. No bias and no need for left to right adjustment.

The JNS headlight aim on the attached photo is a bit higher but you should be able to appreciate the difference in light output and pattern width.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post

Attached Images Attached Images
    Purple, Sthrnromr and jtstdub like this.
    Hidden Content
    Premium Dual-Sport Accessories

Thanks for the reply ...

- Hidden Content

I need another category: I am too old to ride trails at night (it's hard enough in daylight)

I try not to ride at night and it would be nice to have a better headlight. That being said, If you are really serious about trail riding at night you need a good helmet mounted light.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Another question to JNS... Is there any regulation for the light?

The biggest led failure for home, auto and rv interior lights is the CHEAP electronics used to regulate, drop down the voltage to keep the LED's operating within there fairly narrow current/voltage specs.. Push them too bright and the life expectancy is from a few hours to a few hundreds, not the 10,000 hrs led's are expected to live.

Jim
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

I've been having pleasant results with simple ~$20 plug & play H4 bulbs as long as they have three emmitter faces on seperate pylons. Ones like these current offerings:
    [Sponsored]Auxbeam LED Headlight Bulbs F-S2 Series LED Headlights with 2 Pcs of H4 LEDConversion Kits72W 8000lm Hi-Lo Beam

I back them up with another ~$20 of spot beams like these, they bold directly to forks w/o need for any adaptors or brackets:
    2 of WEISIJI 20W 4 Inch Daytime Running Lights 4D Lens Spot Beam Led Work Light Bar for Cars/Jeep Wrangler/4x4-Jeep Cabin/UTE/SUV/ATV/Truck/Car/Boat/Fishing (2PCS)

They create lighting like this but usually I aim the spot lights much further down the trail:

An alleged total of about 7500 lumens. The spots usually cast noticeably bright pools of light on upcoming tree trunks during daylight if in the shade. Total combined draw is about same 55 watts as single oem H4 bulb.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-20-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered Ild Rather Be Motorcycling

If anyone wants H4 HIDs I have a pair with HID low beam and Halogen high beam plug-n-play H4 bulbs for a nominal contribution. PM me. Low beam seems way too bright for street use, I took them out of a truck but they should fit in a TW if you can hide the ballast.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered Ild Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links