TW200 Rear Sprocket Change - thumbs up
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: TW200 Rear Sprocket Change - thumbs up

Junior Member Kpiper@airlinehyd.com's Avatar

TW200 Rear Sprocket Change - thumbs up

I changed my rear sprocket from a 50 to a 47 tooth and it is like a new bike. I did lose some torque but I'm not pulling wheelies or riding straight ups hills (usually). Mostly it's my town and trail bike that was a real a pain to ride on the highway but after replacing the rear sprocket it's much more suited for 5 gears and street riding. Totally recommend changing your rear sprocket (only) for a decrease in rpms at higher speeds. Torque is reduced but the speed gained is worth it. For example; 1st gear to 2nd gear change usually happens around 9-11 mph, now its near 15-18 mph. Tdub for life. Kevin - PA
    Darth, Gar-Man, Peterb and 2 others like this.

When you realize the TW makes a great go anywhere bike, you'll acknowledge you're now doing much more street riding because the bike is way more friendly and comfortable with that 47. Once that sinks in, try a 45. With a stock front and 45 rear, I can and do ride with my friends in every environment other than long high speed highway settings. In stock configuration, its too slow to be fun on the trails, but great on rocks and hills. I just don't go those places very often anymore.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyMack View Post
    When you realize the TW makes a great go anywhere bike, you'll acknowledge you're now doing much more street riding because the bike is way more friendly and comfortable with that 47. Once that sinks in, try a 45. With a stock front and 45 rear, I can and do ride with my friends in every environment other than long high speed highway settings. In stock configuration, its too slow to be fun on the trails, but great on rocks and hills. I just don't go those places very often anymore.

"its too slow to be fun on the trails," i have never found that to be true!
    littletommy and Darth like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Amen to the 45 tooth sprocket.
    BuddyMack likes this.

Why didn't you just change to a tooth taller on the counter shaft sprocket? Cheaper and the chain works fine.
    YamTW87 likes this.
    The bear slayer!

I was not taking shortcuts as all the old driveline stuff was very used up. Meaning I replaced both sprockets, the shaft bearings, side plate gasket, and upgraded to a X-ring chain anyway. My choice was to stay with the stock front sprocket.

Fred and Peterb like this.
    Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

I have a 15 front and 47 rear with an X ring chain - love it!

47/15 (3.13) vs 45/14 (3.21) ratios so close it'd be hard to even feel the difference.

Peterb likes this.

I found the stock gearing too low for everything. I think a 47 would be good for most. Im a 15/44 so I'm biased to taller gears. But I get guys gearing thier bikes down. The TW is one bike suited to alot of riders needs
    Darth likes this.

I run a 15/47 for predominantly street use with some occasional trail riding. You're not going to max the RPMs out- that gearing in theory would allow about an 85mph true top speed (or the dash speedo absolutely buried) and the engine does not have the power to shove this bike with the aerodynamics of a brick that fast anyway. A 60-65mph cruise is pretty easy, and it's still useable on trails, although steep or tight stuff will definitely have you working the clutch harder. But 1st gear is actually somewhat useable on the street now. Stock gearing I'd always set off in 2nd.

My old TW with the atv tire on the back I ran 13/50, but the heavy rear tire saps a lot of the bike's power and I used that one almost exclusively off road, so didn't really care about road manners or top speed much.
    Peterb and Darth like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links