Studded tires?
Close

Thread: Studded tires?

So I live up in Wisconsin and some people like to ride on the ice up here. I was wondering if anyone knows about studding tires? And if they have studded a TW tire? If u have, I would like some tips.

Thanks
    2010 TW - Easton bars & clamps, cyclerack (black), jimbo shield, acerbis steel gaurds, atv seat pad, custom skid plat, more upgrades soon

You can always make your own studded tires, with sheet metal screws, or with special screw in studs made for ATV and motorcycle tires.

Here is a thread with some info: Winter Riding

Several members have had good luck with chains also. Mr Gizmo even tried a ski on the front.

Have fun.

I don't ride on ice, and I don't know if anyone has done studs on a TW a lot of folks seem to like chains. I did however come across a video on youtube randomly that might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSPi6Ft9R_4
    -Szj

2001 TW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have not done anything with mine yet but for sure next season I will be prepared. I personally want a small stud that I can ride all winter on pavement too. Ice studs are available but are typically much larger and not suitable for anything but ice.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetzombiejesus View Post
    I don't ride on ice, and I don't know if anyone has done studs on a TW a lot of folks seem to like chains. I did however come across a video on youtube randomly that might help

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSPi6Ft9R_4[/media]

Now that is a lot of screws. On ice thought the studs are what keeps you up and going so it makes sense.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Track stud screws for snow mobiles

If go slow in snow then chains and like 8 psi

I used to ice race in the '70s and we used sheet metal screws with a liner similar to what's on the video. They've refined everything a lot nowadays tho. We liked the hex sheet metal screws with a raised perimeter around the hex and a straight screwdriver slot in them for more edges (traction). Some were harder than others too. They were the best.

I lived on a lake and we would plow a big area down to bare ice and play for hours. You can get hurt if you get tangled up with a studded tire. Sometimes a bike can throw a screw out of the tire and hit you too. We got pretty good and started traveling as a group to ice festivals and put on a free show. A bike with heavily screwed tires could easily wheelie through the straights and hold great in the turns. If you ride a studded tire on the road though it will dull the screws quickly and you'll lose your competitive "edge" on the ice.

If you do it, it's a great way to use your bike in the dead of winter. Have fun.

Sponosred Links