Oil Cooler for TW-How Much Does it Help? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Oil Cooler for TW-How Much Does it Help?

ok thanks

With today's quality SYNTHETIC OILS, I am not so sure a cooler is needed. These are not RACE BIKES . They are also not thrashed hard off road, not the design of bike. My opinion is that considering these burro's are used off road some, the oil cooler/ cooler lines are looking for a ROCK or TREE to damage them and cause an oil loss. Again.....MY OPINION....just go with appropriate grade of synthetic oil and keep oil clean and fresh.
    "Life Member NRA"

here is my editing but it does not work
    after 1 hour ride I dismount the hoses and no oils inside ... I forgot something?
    20190714_184719.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It appears to be mounted correctly. What do you mean by "no oil inside? You may get that impression if you dismount the supply hose (top) and look inside... You may not see any oil at the supply end, as some of it may have already drained into the sump. What exactly did you do to check? Did the radiator get hot after riding?

There are ways to check if there is circulation:
    1. Dismount the return hose at the adapter (bottom one) and crank the engine with the starter for a while. If there there is oil circulation, it should come out.
    2. Dismount both hoses at the adapter and blow into the top hose. If there was circulation, some oil will stay in the rad and will come out from the bottom hose with the air.

Let me know what the situation is in more detail. It's my product, so I will offer all the support I can.
    Last edited by Teddy_Bear; 07-14-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    Purple likes this.
    Oil cooler adapters available
    Hidden Content

On the topic of the effectiveness of the oil coolers my personal observation is that is does lower the oil temp in the sump, based on my experience with my warped clutch. It is not warped sufficiently for me to consider replacing it, but I can feel various degrees of vibration in the clutch lever as i release it when the engine gets warmer or cooler. That is to say, as the oil temp rises, the plates twist slightly more and the shaking gets more violent. Of course, one may argue that clutch temp is not the oil temp, but I noticed that when I have the cooler on, the clutch can take more abuse before getting too warped and once I ease off, it gets back to tolerable a lot faster. So, no objective data, but to me it has a noticeable effect.

Since I sell these cooler adapters I am not an uninterested source of information, but when we here at our local club decided to design and manufacure these for ourselves, we too were not certain as to whether it would lead to any change. Our main pro-argument was that the Van-Van comes with a cooler from the factory
    Oil cooler adapters available
    Hidden Content

ok i'm trying thanks

Is it working??

i was very happy with my oil cooler, it was all was hot, so it had to be working and doing some good. i used the same cooler on 2 different bike, tw200 and xt225. one point worth mentioning is i would cover mine when the outside temps dropped as i think as much good as it does in the heat, it can do some damage to the oil in the cold9.JPG63.JPG
    Last edited by grewen; 07-30-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I bought two of the original Lizrdbrth cooler systems back some years ago. They are/were very well designed and worked perfectly. You might find the cooler to be a rather valuable upgrade if you live far south or west where the temps you ride in are 90 and above on a regular basis. Here in the NE there honestly is no real need for additional cooling except for a very few days when it does get unseasonably hot. IMO for those of us here in the northern parts of the country you would get just as much benefit by going to the lighter synthetic oils that withstand the heat much better than the dino blends. Even Lizrdbrth recommended to me to cover the radiator if riding in much cooler temps because the TW engine does have a preferred operating temperature and the cooler just might keep it too cool at times. There used to be some discussions on the old site where guys had the hand held temp gauges and showed comparison temps both with and without the coolers and they did prove the coolers worked but it was not that much difference in the grand scheme of things except out in the hot deserts. Don't quote me on the temp numbers but 265 is what I think the engine was without the cooler and 250 with it and this was in a very hot climate. Purple or LT might be able to resurrect some of those old threads and I am pretty sure Goldenhtr, Gerry and a few of the western members were in those discussions.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Ken
    I wish someone would make a heatsink type oil cooler that would be built right into the end of the filter cap or simply connected right to the top of the filter cap. That would eliminate the use of hoses and keep it far from the exhaust pipes. Also when doing oil changes it would be totally removable.
    Pilot Jet 34 likes this.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links