Arts & Crafts or New Gas Cap Seal
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Purple
  • 3 Post By Darth

Thread: Arts & Crafts or New Gas Cap Seal

Arts & Crafts or New Gas Cap Seal

The TW and the DT share the same gas cap.
    The one on the TW is tight, I struggle to get it off and my Daughter, well some time she can and some times she can't get the cap off.
    The DT seal broke, but still worked, but at Admiral's it broke again and did not work anymore.
    Yamaha only wants to sell you a whole new gas cap at a ridicules price - Seal not sold separately.

So, I have not researched if a heavy duty inner tube is gas/petrol resistant (maybe someone here knows), but I did see I could buy 12" X 12" fuel resistant rubber sheets ranging from $6 to $20+ CND depending on thickness.

Anyway I found some old inner tubes and cut myself 2 new gaskets from one of the heavy duty ones. The TW gas cap now goes on much easier and I did a splish splash test and saw no fuel come out. I need to wait and see if it works on the DT as my gas cap is in Idaho - Another camp fire story.

Kindergarden, if only I had gone... I could have probably done a better job tracing

1 of 2 gaskets/seals made.

Has anybody else had to deal with a failed gas cap gasket? and what did you do?
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Well
    (Isobutylene-isoprene copolymer) rubber is predominately used for inner tubes of pneumatic tires and in vacuum and high pressure applications. It has excellent resistance to weathering, oxygen, heat and ozone. ... This rubber has excellent resistance to uv / ozone and most chemicals, but has poor fuel resistance.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

On my ’98 (old style larger gas cap), getting it off was always a two handed job, but sometimes getting it back on to release the key was nigh on impossible. I learned to lick my thumb, and run it over the rubber seal – works a treat

I often wonder if that was why they reduced the size of the gas cap on later models ….
    ejfranz likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Cool

A spritz of aerosol silicone on the rubber gasket (homemade or store-bought) will really help reduce gasket-against-metal friction .
    It will eliminate friction and galling...better seal and longer life.

Spray silicone is useful in many places on our bikes...anti-friction & weather protection for most all "soft" areas, like wiring, rubber, electrical connections, tire sidewalls (NOT tread) and most everywhere you can't see.
    Never on any brake system pads/drums/calipers, etc.
    Or seating surfaces!

It will also make a passable "polish/protectant" for paint, plastics, etc.
    Even a temporary "lube" for chains & sprockets...in a pinch!
    Clean & shine the outside of your helmet with it...but not the visor or interior.

Spray it on your brother...
    ejfranz, littletommy and Fred like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links