VM26 Carb on 89 TW200.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: VM26 Carb on 89 TW200.

VM26 Carb on 89 TW200.

Hi All

My current carb is dead, useless, hated.

So instead of crying myself to sleep trying to fix it every day, I'm replacing with a Mikuni 26 (given that the engine side mount of my current one has an inside diameter of 26.

Can I pick your collective brains on something?

1. Is 26 the right one? Should it be 28 with a new mounting flange to suit?
    2. The jet sizes? I've googled around and seen people chatting about 22.5 for pilot and 170 for main, but not sure. (climate = Melbourne, Australia).

If anyone has any experience on this, please let me know - super keen to order and get this beast back up and running.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    87 TW200, Customised. Pics: Hidden Content

Your figures sound a bit screwy to me - I'll have to confirm later as not near my PC until later

Couple of question in the meantime - is this the bike in your avatar ? - or is it a standard '89 ?
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Hey Purple, thanks for the reply.

It's the avatar.

I pulled the buggered carb apart (TK brand, seems to be stock) and it had a 40 pilot, a 100 main and a 2.75 needle - but the guys at Mikuni say those numbers won't relate to their carb; indeed, when I look around on google the numbers are more like what I said above (for that specific Mikuni VM26 carb).
    Or did you mean numbers as in the 26mm vs 28mm?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Working from memory (never a good idea), the carb should be 28 - main ranges from 126 to 130 (the higher number would probably suit your exhaust) - idle jet I'm not sure about. Those figures are for the TK, not the Mik, the Keihn might be different

Don't have access to the PDF manuals here at the moment - you can find them here https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...r-manuals.html

Make sure you're looking at the slide carb, not the CV (the slide is the correct one for that year, and it's better than the CV anyway)

I'll come back later today with more details - until then, like I say it's from memory, so don't take it as gospel ....

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

OK – back

Yes, the carb size is 28, although you could probably go up to a 33/34 if you really wanted to – recommendation is stick to 28

On these old style carbs, main jets start at 122, and go up to 130 depending on altitude. Recommend getting a few sizes in and tweaking it from there – with that exhaust on, you’ll “probably” end up at 126 (don’t quote me on that)

Idle jets depend on the carb manufacturer, most of them come “pre-loaded”, which is your starting point. One thing to be aware of, is that the thread pitch on some carb jets is different, so stick with brand. Do not go for some of the jet kits that are out there that say “126” etc. What is a 126 to them may be wildly different to a branded 126

If you want to go for “insane performance” (at a price), you can get a flat slide pumper carb - Mikuni-tm33-8012-slide-carburetor-TM33-8012

If you want a cheap Chinese knock off standard carb - https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...parison-3.html post#21

These cheap jobbies are becoming more common, but be aware that the throttle cables may feed from the opposite side, and require a bit of “tweaking” to get the cable sleeve to fit

If it was me – I’d stick to the standard carb, simply because I’d be able to get advice on how to adjust it jet wise – once you go “off plot”, we’re into the long grass real quick. If you do decide to go “off plot” a different boot size may be in order, but that’s a small detail

Your dollars, your choice …..
    Sthrnromr and jtomelliott49 like this.

- Hidden Content

Thanks again, Purple.

I hovered over the buy button on the VM28 for some time, but then went for the the VM26-606 with stock pilot of 22.5, a spare of 20 - 190 main with spares of 170,175, 180 and 185. (these are different, obviously but seemingly scaled accordingly to the stock).

There's good anecdotal evidence around of this carb suiting the bike, so I'm going to take a punt and hope it turns out okay. I think there's a human nature thing of thinking "VM28 or TM33... bigger numbers! faster!", but then it's only a 200cc bike....

I'll report back once it's fitted, tuned and running for anyone going through this in the future.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

Oh, just FYI, I avoided the stock as I kind of resented Yamaha asking over $700 for it! I know there's 2nd hand, but you know... 2nd hand....
    Last edited by jamison123; 06-28-2019 at 02:34 AM.
    Purple and jtomelliott49 like this.

I hope that works out, because I'm probably going to get a VM26 for my '87.
    I'm not 100 percent decided yet if I'll go with the -606 version or the -8074, but I'm kinda leaning (no pun intended ) towards the former.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

So I just got a VM26-606 today. Hopefully I'll have a chance to install and test it soon.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

FWIW dept .

I ran across , had me thinking ...

TY-Yamaha
    Scott

Is that Web site saying they run a 21mm carb on the tw?
    87 TW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links