Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By sibyrnes
  • 3 Post By sibyrnes
  • 2 Post By Maxpower
  • 2 Post By sibyrnes
  • 1 Post By Maxpower
  • 1 Post By sibyrnes
  • 2 Post By Purple

Thread: Sorry FMF, The Sticker Had to Go!

Sorry FMF, The Sticker Had to Go!

FMF Exhaust.jpg

Just installed a new FMF Powecore 4 on my TW. Standard couple of turns out on mixture screw, a few .010 shims on needle and a 130 main jet. Along with my recent change to Mobil 1 oil my engine purrs like a kitten but it does have a bark. It's a little loud for my taste and I have the quiet insert on order. The bike now has more torque throughout the throttle range - less downshifting in all gears but especially noticeable in fifth gear cruising uphill.

There is definitely more potential in those little engines than the way they come from the factory!
    Dryden-Tdub and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

You know, a benefit of the FMF exhaust that I haven't seen mentioned - it's 4 1/2 pounds lighter than the stock muffler but that weight is mounted high up on the right side of the bike. That decrease in weight at that location has made a noticeable difference in the balance of the bike.
    Purple, jtomelliott49 and Darth like this.

That helps make up for the 8lbs the Cycle Rack weighs
    I like the TW sounds quiet as a sewing machine. I think I use that to justify to myself to leave it stock so I dont spend money I haven't made yet on a pipe.But the FMF pipe looks so cool and any increase in power is good since the engine is gutless.
    jtomelliott49 and Darth like this.
    87 TW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Right. Removal of the passenger pegs and the FMF muffler result in a weight savings equal to the Cyclerack. But, the Cyclerack's weight is evenly distributed, not hanging off one side like the heavy, stock muffler.

Isn't "gutless" a rather strong term to describe something we love so much - like calling your grandmother ugly?
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 07-02-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub and jtomelliott49 like this.

My grandmother had a wart on the end of her nose.
    Getting rid of weight off the TW of any kind is good.
    The new pipe looks really really good
    Darth likes this.
    87 TW

Looks good. Can't wait to hear how that quiet insert works for you. After having it a few years, the TW's finally been getting some attention in the garage and has become my daily. This pipe is on my wish list, though I'd prefer more purr and less brrrap for my current use.

Something I should have added when I stated carb settings - I live at 1200 ft. and usually cruise a little higher and a little lower. At my most recent trip riding in southern Utah I paid the price for that 130 main jet. At elevations above 5000 ft My engine was misfiring at full throttle forcing a lot more downshifts than normal. When I returned to our campsite at 4000 ft it ran fine.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions regarding after market exhausts here at the forum. I think a lot of it depends on the skill or just plain luck of the person tuning the carb. I fit into the latter category.
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 07-02-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    Purple likes this.

Are you certain about that 4.5lb number?
    2001 TW

Quote Originally Posted by TW Newb View Post
    Are you certain about that 4.5lb number?
    No I'm not! I'm not sure where I got that number but after checking further I see the stock muffler is about 6.2 lbs and the FMF is 3.9 for a difference of 2.3 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions regarding after market exhausts here at the forum. I think a lot of it depends on the skill or just plain luck of the person tuning the carb. I fit into the latter category.
    No two TW’s are the same – no two riders are the same – and if you and I rode the same bike through the same conditions, we’d both have our own personal opinion of how it performed

All you can hope to do is to get it to where “you” want it, and yes, that takes a degree of luck – as much to do with which advice you follow as anything else

At least on here you do get “conflicting opinions” – but you also get the chance to “question”, and in the end, make your own choice …..
    Sthrnromr and sibyrnes like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links