kangaroo's little blue burro Pepe
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: kangaroo's little blue burro Pepe

kangaroo's little blue burro Pepe

Hello, first post. Just bought a used 2006 TW200 with 3.5k miles. I come from a sportbike background mainly R1s. Always wanted a versatile pit-city-trail bike and chose the TDub over the Grom, Z125 and Vanvan. Maybe it's a Yamaha thing as they just feel right for me when sitting on them. Anyways, got the bike last Saturday, then promptly crashed on Sunday. I was n't going fast (relatively speaking). I was leaning the bike farther than it should. Now that I think about it, not a good idea on 15 year old stock Bstones let alone hot tar snakes. I was giggling with joy the entire ride, even right to the crash. Just something hilariously fun riding a slow bike as fast as it can go. Everything would've been fine,except a diesel truck was going the other way and slowly ran over the front tire and forks before stopping. I immediiately pop up and run over. Amazingly, the front tire didn't pop. Damage wasn't too bad but the bike was not rideable. Noticing this, the truck driver graciously offered to give me a lift back home.

Once home, got my little Pepe lifted and started the tear down process. The damages are:
    1. Both stanchions are bent and kinked
    2. Front rotor is bent
    3. Stock handlebars are twisted
    4. RIght grip has a tear
    5. Front rim has some rash
    6. Small ding on the left side of the tank, probably from my left knee.
    7. Right footpeg

Potentially damaged:
    frame headstock, will get that looked at later

Great thing about a crash, as long as you can walk away in one piece, is it's a great time to get down to the nitty gritty. Then the mod madness starts. If you all can chime in with any advice during my rebuild, I'd appreciate it. Pic is the day I brought her home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kangaroo; 07-06-2019 at 04:06 AM.
    jtomelliott49, Ken and Darth like this.

Got to go over everything, just to be sure little Pepe makes a full recovery. Down to the bare essentials.
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

Cue six million dollar man, we can make him stronger, faster... lol Let's keep it real. Let's do some easy stuff while I'm waiting on parts. Moved the sidestand wiring from the rightside of the airbox to the left. Seems "safer" tucked away instead of exposed.
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Samco lines

Pepe wants more azul. What Pepe wants, he gets. Found some extra Samco Lines lying around. Swapped out all the vacuum and vent lines on the carb. Decided to keep the clear fuel feed line.

Found this deadweight on the bottom of the bike and promptly tossed into the recycle bin. Also used the opportunity to remove the emissions canister. Weight saved 1 pound!
    Last edited by kangaroo; 07-06-2019 at 05:12 AM.
    jtomelliott49 and Fred like this.

airbox mod

Don't know if this mod works for the off road world. Noticed the airbox had a drain and a low crankcase breather port. Decided to plug both up with some screws. Then I attached a longer higher hose, blue of course. Reduced the output diameter once and terminated with a pcv valve. It's more of an oil catchcan (hose) idea and allows the oil to flow back down into the case instead of into the airbox and then fouling up the intake or dripping down onto the swingarm.
    Last edited by kangaroo; 07-06-2019 at 05:00 AM.
    jtomelliott49, Ken and Darth like this.

Welcome to the madhouse kangaroo. Sorry you bit the pavement, and happy you didn't have injuries. Best of luck with your Pepe. Or should I say, Pepe le Blue???
    grewen likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Pepe is his little mule.

download (1).jpg
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    Welcome to the madhouse kangaroo. Sorry you bit the pavement, and happy you didn't have injuries. Best of luck with your Pepe. Or should I say, Pepe le Blue???
    Falling at less than 15mph wasn't so bad. I was leaned over so much, I fell maybe a foot to a foot and a half max. Instantly came to a stop. Minimal road rash compared to the old days on sportbikes.

Hmmnn, Pepe le bleu, some white racing stripes may be warranted!

Quote Originally Posted by Errtu View Post
    Pepe is his little mule.

download (1).jpg
    Ha! somebody got my inspiration.

fork disassembly and inspection

Pretty basic caveman suspension if I am honest. Disassembled and the fork oil looks to never have been serviced since new. Looked at the stanchions and they're both kinked right below the lower triple. Runout was over a quarter inch. Can't even attempt to bend them back. Triples look straight. Beware all you people with skinny legs if you're into BIG WOMEN!

Priced out new stanchions, fluids and seals. Came out to around $400. Thought about using some Chinese non OE stanchions for half price but too many bad experiences to pull the trigger. New OEM replacement forks, $560. Damn, instant costco burritos for lunch again. But anything for my little Pepe. Bagged and sealed the old parts for spares.

footpegs damaged and chinese

Right footpeg, got crushed by the fall and even more so by the big truck running over the front end. Ordered some Chinese Ebay cast aluminum footpegs. What showed up was up to expectations. lol Many have commented on the smallness of the stock pegs but coming from the street, let me just say they are pretty dang big compared to what I'm used to. These replacements feel like aircraft carrier platforms. Unusable platforms however. Just wanted to post a pic. Contacted the Ebay seller and got a refund. Looking at alternative designs. More on that later.
    Ken likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links