TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Brand new tw full exhaust carb and web cam....

8K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  jbfla 
#1 ·
I’m a Yamaha tech and have a ktm dual sport that I am selling to buy a tw... more or less to see what I can get out of one... will be using a brand new platform and doing these mods... what I can’t seem to find is a full exhaust... is there any full systems for sale?

#2 · (Edited)
welcome evan!

i'm sure your adventures will provide lots of grist for the mill around here.

many have done exhaust mods, to a variety of results. i think mr bracket did some of the most extensive testings and posted results. to my knowledge there aren't any full exhaust kits for our bike. he's no longer on here, but his Bee lives on in the backwoods of idaho. i've heard on full moon nights, when the wolves silence themselves, you can hear it buzz. it might be sasquach's favorite ride. it demonstrates a fondness for a certain pink pig. ???

lots have swapped out the xt/ttr stainless header for our stock tubes (myself included), more for looks or corrosion resistance, than for performance improvements.

the most common exhaust mod is probably an FMF backend. debates rage on whether this offers much more than added sound and bling. YMMV

they're fun bikes and i'm sure you will get lots of smiles/ mile out of it.

ride on!

joe band

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Transport
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Enduro Motorcycling

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your new TW as it evolves.

There is no complete after market exhaust system for the TW that I have seen. I have the FMF slip on on my 2017. As Joeband said, there is a lot of debate here about the benefits of the FMF slip on but I think much of the debate is from people who have never actually used one. If you get the jetting right you will feel a definite increase in torque through out the throttle range with the FMF muffler - especially noticeable with two up riding.

I have been doing a lot of mods on my 2017 TW trying to create the ultimate "mini adventure" bike. Here's a photo from a ride yesterday.

View attachment TW-0000944.jpg

#6 ·
#7 ·
Then & Now Pictures...

Then

Now

:hiding:

#8 ·
Hah – it’s close enough. The original exhaust set-up has been replaced by a DG slip on – and some of the forum decals are “absent in part” – but other than that, it’s all there

Instantly recognisable – pulls like a train – (the red dust is optional)

The closer you get, the more you notice the little “personal” tweaks – for instance the swinging arm has a couple of bits welded on there to aid in lifting, the shift lever is folding, there’s all sorts of bits “added” to that bike. And when you add up the engine mods and suspension upgrades, it’s a piece of work

Mock as you may, (once you have it started), that thing flies wherever you point it – trust me on that ….. :p

#12 ·
Nobody really makes full systems since there's no point. The restriction in the header is the exhaust port, not the pipe. The XT225 header is a direct swap, it's just stainless instead of black.

I put the Webcam stage 1 in both my tw. It's a drop in swap. They recommend beehive springs but not necessary, I checked for coil bind and it's not an issue (close thou). The stage 2/3 require new springs. They don't stock TW cams anymore but they are still available with about a 2 week lead time. The more aggressive profile makes your valve clatter a bit louder. You'll get used to it. Webcam suggests a bit less clearance than stock spec, probably to minimize this.

While you're in there toss the penny pincher sprocket side cam bushing and replace it with an unsealed quality 6005 ball bearing. Direct swap. Both mine had noticeable wear on them after only a couple thousand miles. Ball bearing getting sprayed with motor oil will last forever.

Same time I tossed the wiseco 10.25:1 piston in there also. Piston gives it more low to mid-range grunt and the cam lets it actually pull in the top end rather than filibuster its way to redline.

When the jug is off check for a ridge on the case mouth halves. Common to find and it tends to cause a nagging oil seepage. Sand it smooth/flat if you have one. Not all bikes do.

#13 ·
All very helpful and appreciated info.... as much as I wanted a tw a changed my mind at last minute and got a new xt250 instead.... just a nicer bike for not much more money still doesn’t have the tw cool factor I will still have a tw just find a junked one and rebuild

#14 ·
<<UNLIKE>>
;)

but fine be that way... though you can still share your new xt250 mods and adventures. congrats on your new ride.

#21 ·
.............. and probably an oversized tank
I would be surprised if you find an oversized tank.

The Xt250's fuel injected, and fuel pump is inside the tank. I don't think any after market tanks have provisions for mounting the fuel pump.

....But if you find one, please let us know...I could used one myself.

I would also like to know the fuel mileage you get on your XT.

Last time I checked mine it was 99 mpg (US) with conservative highway riding.

jb

#18 ·
HaHa. The fact that you wrote this at 1:00am on a Saturday night and I'm reading it at 7:45am on a Sunday morning means we have to get together sometime for a ride.
That is one perfect analogy of what a TW is.

Hey EvansTW, other than being a Yamaha tech and thus probably getting an employee discount of a new Yammy, what KTM (model & year) do/did you own that you would consider going down the dual-sport food chain? Was the KTM too maint. needy and the Yammy just easier to maintain. That's a real apples to oranges shift unless you were keeping both.

#19 ·
The ktm was a 2009 300xc with electric start rekluse clutch and some other goodies.... I used to ride in the woods a decent amount but with work and 2 kids ran out of time.... so I did some legwork and got a title for the xc put different sprockets on and dual sport tires/ tusk dual sport kit..... and rode it 200 miles a couple saturdays ago!!! It just wasn’t for me had aplenty of power but shaky and a little surgy cruising and only got 40mpg and I had to carry mix oil.... just all that together I’m 30 and got the supermoto-wide open out of my system already just wanted something I could cruise and putter around on ride to work.... I guess I need to leave since I got the xt but I still love tw’s

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.