Mods - What's your favorite that you've done? What's on your "To-do" list? - Page 6
Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Mods - What's your favorite that you've done? What's on your "To-do" list?

Keep in mind when adding inline fuel filters to gravity-feed systems, it's pretty common to run into fuel starvation issues when the fuel level is low, and you're at high fuel demand (i.e, highway). I've found this to be the case on both my TW and Valkyrie that had fuel filters added and of course neither came with one stock (besides the strainer on the petcock). When the tank is full they're fine, but when it gets down to 1/4 or less there's a lot less head pressure to push fuel through the filter, coupled with fast highway riding and higher fuel demand, and you can start starving the engine, resulting it in running lean and stumbling once the bowls dry up. On my TW it's only generally if you're already on reserve, and asking it to go on the freeway for more than a couple minutes, I'll feel it start to sputter and cut out, slow down a bit and it runs fine. A small 90* filter was added by the previous owner. I'm on the fence about tossing it, only causes issues in a pretty specific case. I jettisoned the one someone had fitted to my Valkyrie as whenever it was below 1/2 tank it didn't want to much exceed 80mph or so. I'm guessing the previous owner never asked it to go faster than about 60 at any point, so never noticed the problem. Filter gone, so was the issue.

Inline filters are one of those "feel good" things, but ultimately unnecessary and usually seems to cause more problems than it prevents when it comes to gravity feed bikes. OEM's didn't just accidentally forget them.

Better front tire (241 is a favorite for a reason), carb tuning, and replacing the rubber-band stock chain are really the only "must do" things from my view. Lots of other things are worth looking into but may not really benefit everyone depending on how you use the bike.
    Last edited by RaZed1; 08-12-2019 at 07:05 AM.
    Ken, MtnMan75 and BUMBLESPECIMOODA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GCRAD1 View Post
    It’s hard to list them in the level of favorite, but the progression of how they happened as follows:

1: Bars/risers so you can stand up comfortably. Add ProGrip 714 Rally Grips in at this time as well. Add handguards in at this time too!

2: Larger foot pegs - once you start standing up, you will want larger, more comfortable foot pegs.

3: Suspension: Once you are standing up, riding more spirited, you will quickly find out that your 6-inches of travel is... well, 6-inches of travel.

My bike has an Ricochet skid plate as that came after my spirited riding engaged my crankcase into rocks that exceeded the factory skid plate levels of protection, FMF Powercore 4 exhaust with carb tuning, JNS LED headlamp, CycleRacks rear rack, Shinko 241 front tire.

On my want list:
    1: Seat Concepts
    2: Clarke fuel tank
    3: MORE RIDE TIME!!!!!

You can read all about my bike here on the TW200 forum! https://www.tw200forum.com/#/topics/46265

I like your #3 on the want list...
    MORE RIDE TIME! Amen to that! I SO wish I had good riding areas, in riding distance from home. Although it's worth it and I will continue to do it, I have to load up my TW in the truck and take it about hour and a half away to ride the type of riding these were built for. It amazes me that a state the size of Texas does not even come close to UT, CA, NV, CO, NM, and I'm sure many others when it comes to public places to ride.

Best mod

74F48B19-DFCE-499F-972B-12FB29DB84B7.png Best mod is my TW trailer

ronnydog
    Darth, cateyetech, admiral and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

From a long & growing list of mods...if I had to choose a favorite one it would easily be:
    Greatly improved suspension, front & rear.

Second would be "weight loss".
    I've removed things, lightened things, and substituted lighter things for a current total of -22 lbs.
    I'm shooting for -25/26 lbs. but I may not quite make that.
    The two "biggest losers" so far are the Lithium ION battery (-6 lbs.),
    and FMF "muffler" (-4.5 lbs.)
    And I have personally dropped -22 lbs. of pork.
    So, all in all...that ain't bad!

Any of you guys have your bikes on a diet?
    cateyetech and Ken like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    From a long & growing list of mods...if I had to choose a favorite one it would easily be:
    Greatly improved suspension, front & rear.

Second would be "weight loss".
    I've removed things, lightened things, and substituted lighter things for a current total of -22 lbs.
    I'm shooting for -25/26 lbs. but I may not quite make that.
    The two "biggest losers" so far are the Lithium ION battery (-6 lbs.),
    and FMF "muffler" (-4.5 lbs.)
    And I have personally dropped -22 lbs. of pork.
    So, all in all...that ain't bad!

Any of you guys have your bikes on a diet?

I'm relatively new to the forum. Although, I did join a few years back, and have even found some of my old posts through a google search. But I was away from the forum for a few years and when I attempted to login again recently, I couldn't. Not sure why, but I just joined again.... Anyway. I'm sure you've detailed your suspension mods at some point, but I'm not sure how to find those posts. Could you point me to a thread, or relevant posts, as to what you've done?

I'm also curious about what other things you've done to lighten the bike... It seems that with the exception of an exhaust, everything I contemplate ADDS weight to the bike (skid plate, hand guards, rack, etc.).
    Darth likes this.

Mr. Poser...
    I will get back with you tomorrow.
    In the meantime...think light!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Hey, IMAPOSER -

OK...this is as close as I can get, but I think it's pretty accurate, +/- 1 lb. or so.
    A pound or so from the aluminum or aluminum/steel composite R sprocket, as shown.
    The pickin's are pretty slim but I'm sure I'll find a little more, we'll see.

PROJECT SKINNY-DUB
    Lithium Ion battery 6 lbs.
    FMF pipe 4.5
    F & R turn signals 2
    F fender & bracket 1.5
    Skid plate 1
    Passenger pegs & brackets 4
    Shock spring 1
    Tail light assembly 1
    R fender rubber .5
    Aluminum bars 1
    A (little) later - Aluminum or aluminum/steel composite rear sprocket 1

Total 23.5 lbs lost

I'll let you know what I find...let us know how your project is going!
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    Best mods I've done so far;

1) Foot Pegs - I rode ~ 700km on the stock pegs. I have size 12 feet, and the difference switching to aftermarket pegs is day and night. Also, for me, the stock shifter works' just fine with larger pegs, too. Easy install. DMO made in the USA.
    2) Hand Guards - Acerbis Rally Pro is the ones I'm using. They definitely protected my throttle hand the other day and they didn't move. Made in Italy. Easy install.
    3) Skid Plate - Ricochet. In the environment I ride in, I find it traps a lot of sand/mud, but it makes me feel that the engine is more protected. I'm more worried about hitting hazards you can't see (stumps/rocks/roots under water/mud). To me, it does make noise/vibrations at certain rpm. I ride mostly 1st and 2nd gear and I find it annoying. I am going to have it professionally sprayed with truck bed liner, in hopes to have the "ring" taken out of it. Plus, the mud/oil/sand/grease/whatever, should be an easy cleanup. Hopefully, the local options I have, can do different coloured sprays, as well. Easy install. Made in the USA.

Edit -> By easy install, I meant that all the holes lined up as intended. No hammering, drilling, cursing, or modifications were required to make these parts fit.

2nd Edit - I did shave off about 1-1.5 mm from the throttle tube, when installing the hand guards. I used a hacksaw to make the cut, and then used a common file to smooth things out. You also have to cut the grips a wee bit. No big deal. I used a crappy utility knife and I am happy with the results. Measure 5 times and cut shy once, and then file to fit. I have zero interference issues with the throttle/brake/clutch/hand guards.
    Last edited by TeeDoubleUTwoHundred; 09-16-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: clarity
    Darth likes this.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post

Lithium Ion battery 6 lbs.
    What particular battery did you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDoubleUTwoHundred View Post
    Best mods I've done so far;

1) Foot Pegs - I rode ~ 700km on the stock pegs. I have size 12 feet, and the difference switching to aftermarket pegs is day and night. Also, for me, the stock shifter works' just fine with larger pegs, too. Easy install. DMO made in the USA.
    Is he back to making these for tw200 or did you get lucky and find a rare pair?
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Sponosred Links