TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Mods - What's your favorite that you've done? What's on your "To-do" list?

21K views 76 replies 40 participants last post by  m003 
#1 ·
I've learned that I like working on my TW almost as much as riding it. I've only had it 8 months and feel like I'm maxing out on the mods (probably not but that's what this post is for).

So far I have done: IMS Super Stock footpegs, JNS Headlight, Tusk Utility Rack, Tusk D-Flex handguards (basically copied Rocky Mountain youtube vid for that list).

Looking to do: Shinko 241 front tire, skid plate

What else? What's your favorite mod you've done, and what else are you looking to do?

#46 ·
For a long time I resisted the temptation to put a larger aftermarket gas tank on the bike because I didn't like the looks of them. The factory tank just looks better than the plastic tanks.Especially the translucent. They ( translucent aftermarket tanks) seem to take on a yellow tint when they age. Having said that, without question my favorite mod is that large translucent tank. Never worry about running out of gas or strapping extra fuel onto the back of the bike. You can always tell how much gasoline is in the tank by just glancing at it. I no longer even think about the cosmetics. I know, I know... it's a slippery slope once you start putting ugly things on the bike. If you're not careful, your TW200 might be sporting a plastic milk crate on the rear rack ?

#51 · (Edited)
Keep in mind when adding inline fuel filters to gravity-feed systems, it's pretty common to run into fuel starvation issues when the fuel level is low, and you're at high fuel demand (i.e, highway). I've found this to be the case on both my TW and Valkyrie that had fuel filters added and of course neither came with one stock (besides the strainer on the petcock). When the tank is full they're fine, but when it gets down to 1/4 or less there's a lot less head pressure to push fuel through the filter, coupled with fast highway riding and higher fuel demand, and you can start starving the engine, resulting it in running lean and stumbling once the bowls dry up. On my TW it's only generally if you're already on reserve, and asking it to go on the freeway for more than a couple minutes, I'll feel it start to sputter and cut out, slow down a bit and it runs fine. A small 90* filter was added by the previous owner. I'm on the fence about tossing it, only causes issues in a pretty specific case. I jettisoned the one someone had fitted to my Valkyrie as whenever it was below 1/2 tank it didn't want to much exceed 80mph or so. I'm guessing the previous owner never asked it to go faster than about 60 at any point, so never noticed the problem. Filter gone, so was the issue.

Inline filters are one of those "feel good" things, but ultimately unnecessary and usually seems to cause more problems than it prevents when it comes to gravity feed bikes. OEM's didn't just accidentally forget them.

Better front tire (241 is a favorite for a reason), carb tuning, and replacing the rubber-band stock chain are really the only "must do" things from my view. Lots of other things are worth looking into but may not really benefit everyone depending on how you use the bike.

#54 ·
From a long & growing list of mods...if I had to choose a favorite one it would easily be:
Greatly improved suspension, front & rear.

Second would be "weight loss".
I've removed things, lightened things, and substituted lighter things for a current total of -22 lbs.
I'm shooting for -25/26 lbs. but I may not quite make that.
The two "biggest losers" so far are the Lithium ION battery (-6 lbs.),
and FMF "muffler" (-4.5 lbs.)
And I have personally dropped -22 lbs. of pork.
So, all in all...that ain't bad!

Any of you guys have your bikes on a diet?

Reactions: Ken and cateyetech
#55 ·
I'm relatively new to the forum. Although, I did join a few years back, and have even found some of my old posts through a google search. But I was away from the forum for a few years and when I attempted to login again recently, I couldn't. Not sure why, but I just joined again.... Anyway. I'm sure you've detailed your suspension mods at some point, but I'm not sure how to find those posts. Could you point me to a thread, or relevant posts, as to what you've done?

I'm also curious about what other things you've done to lighten the bike... It seems that with the exception of an exhaust, everything I contemplate ADDS weight to the bike (skid plate, hand guards, rack, etc.).

#56 ·
Mr. Poser...
I will get back with you tomorrow.
In the meantime...think light!

#57 ·
Hey, IMAPOSER -

OK...this is as close as I can get, but I think it's pretty accurate, +/- 1 lb. or so.
A pound or so from the aluminum or aluminum/steel composite R sprocket, as shown.
The pickin's are pretty slim but I'm sure I'll find a little more, we'll see.

PROJECT SKINNY-DUB
Lithium Ion battery 6 lbs.
FMF pipe 4.5
F & R turn signals 2
F fender & bracket 1.5
Skid plate 1
Passenger pegs & brackets 4
Shock spring 1
Tail light assembly 1
R fender rubber .5
Aluminum bars 1
A (little) later - Aluminum or aluminum/steel composite rear sprocket 1

Total 23.5 lbs lost

I'll let you know what I find...let us know how your project is going!

#58 · (Edited)
Best mods I've done so far;

1) Foot Pegs - I rode ~ 700km on the stock pegs. I have size 12 feet, and the difference switching to aftermarket pegs is day and night. Also, for me, the stock shifter works' just fine with larger pegs, too. Easy install. DMO made in the USA.
2) Hand Guards - Acerbis Rally Pro is the ones I'm using. They definitely protected my throttle hand the other day and they didn't move. Made in Italy. Easy install.
3) Skid Plate - Ricochet. In the environment I ride in, I find it traps a lot of sand/mud, but it makes me feel that the engine is more protected. I'm more worried about hitting hazards you can't see (stumps/rocks/roots under water/mud). To me, it does make noise/vibrations at certain rpm. I ride mostly 1st and 2nd gear and I find it annoying. I am going to have it professionally sprayed with truck bed liner, in hopes to have the "ring" taken out of it. Plus, the mud/oil/sand/grease/whatever, should be an easy cleanup. Hopefully, the local options I have, can do different coloured sprays, as well. Easy install. Made in the USA.

Edit -> By easy install, I meant that all the holes lined up as intended. No hammering, drilling, cursing, or modifications were required to make these parts fit.

2nd Edit - I did shave off about 1-1.5 mm from the throttle tube, when installing the hand guards. I used a hacksaw to make the cut, and then used a common file to smooth things out. You also have to cut the grips a wee bit. No big deal. I used a crappy utility knife and I am happy with the results. Measure 5 times and cut shy once, and then file to fit. I have zero interference issues with the throttle/brake/clutch/hand guards.

#60 ·
Best mods I've done so far;

1) Foot Pegs - I rode ~ 700km on the stock pegs. I have size 12 feet, and the difference switching to aftermarket pegs is day and night. Also, for me, the stock shifter works' just fine with larger pegs, too. Easy install. DMO made in the USA.
Is he back to making these for tw200 or did you get lucky and find a rare pair?

#62 ·
Bar risers, taller bars, extended cables, and a SS braided brake line. The front brake is awesome now.

Next on the list is some wider footpegs, because ouch. Then hand guards and a skid plate. Probably ought to get some racks as well. . .because why not?!?

Reactions: Darth
#63 ·
The two best mods so far:

1) Removing the bike and title from the PO's hands. (her husband stopped at the Honda dealer on way home and she put the cash towards a new Honda Shadow cruiser. You Go Girl!
2) Adding 141 miles worth of smiles riding it home (even if 100 miles was in the rain) after my daughter drove me to Deland-Daytona to pick it up.

Marty

#66 ·
1. LED head light, the oem one uses way to much juice.
2. I live in Alaska so heated grips are really nice but not needed for everyone.
3. Bar risers I am 6'3 and even with 2 inch risers it is still small couldn't imagine not having them.
4. Bead rider seat cover, makes the seat so much more comfortable.
5. Tusk heavy duty hand guard protectors. This will be the bike that you lay down over and over on the trail protect your levers and hands.
6. RAM double ball mirrors. They are $150 which is a lot for mirrors but they are so nice. In 2 seconds you can have your mirrors folded down flat. On my KLR I just kept buying new mirrors or using broken ones...that got old.
7. On my island the top speed is 50 mph so I am fine with OEM gearing but I would spend the $25 and get a 47 tooth rear if I had to ride over 55 mph regularly
8. A rack system.
9. Get bigger foot pegs, the stock ones are dangerously small. Nothing wakes you up more than falling off of a peg.
10. Remove that black plastic junk by the rear tire, like a finder eliminator kit.

Honorable mentions:
1. larger gas tank, that 1.8 is annoying but for long hauls I take my KLR so I am not too worried
2. I have rack that bolts on the top, I should have got the one that mounts on the pegs...looks beefier
3. Grip pups ($20) on amazon are foam tubes you put on your grips and they eat up a ton of vibration, and the foam insulates your hands from the cold metal bars. However putting grip pups on heated grips is like putting a heater in a freezer. So I only have them on my KLR but would recommend.

#67 ·
I just got my 2002 TW 200 about 2 weeks ago. I love it. So far, changed oil, new mirrors, installed a hard case on the luggage rack, bought new gas cap, and have ordered a new seat cover. I really appreciate this forum and all the helpful information.

#71 ·
Mike, what kind of gas cap?

#68 ·
Reading this forum is proving both helpful and a bit expensive. After hearing all the positive comments about the Shinko 241 front tire, I just ordered one. Looking forward to a more stable front end.

#69 ·
For years (before I joined the forum) I rode with the stock front tire. Yes it washed out a few times but I thought it was more my skill level than anything to do with the tire (front). Then I joined the forum and found out about the Shinko 244, which was the flavor of the day. I discovered (as others already had) that this was a huge improvement over the stock tire. Then the Shinko 241 came into the picture. The 241's improvement is just as big a jump over the 244 as the 244 was over the stock front tire. You most likely won't be disappointed.

#70 ·
Kris, how long have you had TW's? Just curious... How did you happen to come across them in the first place?

#74 ·
Here's the new rack from DK Metalworks I got from eBay... I actually really like it. Since I'm not planning to put a ton of weight on it (saddlebag setup for longer trips), I think it'll be perfect for my needs.

I did cut some slots for the turn signal wires to slip through as I didn't feel like disconnecting them again in the future if I want to remove the rack. It's got a nice powder coat finish, and perfect fit during install, all the holes lined up just right.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part Roof rack

Vehicle Automotive exterior Wheel Automotive wheel system Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire

#75 ·
JNS LED headlight
Mad hornets super chubby LED turn signals (front and rear)
IMS super stock foot pegs
Rox 2"risers
Ricochet anonized skid plate
Pro taper EVO YZ high bend
Shinko 244 golden boy
DID x ring chain
ANS 47 tooth sprocket
Highway dirt bike next gen hand guards
DG exhaust
Pillow top grips
Renthal grip doughnuts

2021 Yamaha TW 200

#76 ·
Wow. Up from the land of the dead... But since I received a notification about the thread today, I guess I'll play a little...

Not sure I can say exactly what's my favorite... ProTaper Raptor bars, Clarke tank, high fender, DMO pegs, JNS headlight, 47T rear sprocket and DID X-ring chain all added something as did the DG exhaust and jet kit. The sprocket made the bike more useable for my needs, and the jet kit made a significant difference in the engine response. The exhaust just sounds good, IMO. The DMO pegs are a must in my book, as are higher bars. And of course, the tank... Need the capacity for the way I use the bike, and I love the opaque tank that gives me a very accurate "fuel gauge" at all times. Oh, and my custom, quick detachable box on the back allows me to carry spare tubes, tools, etc, into the remote places I like to go... But, from a purely performance standpoint, I'd have to say the best mods that I've made were the Race Tech Emulators and the Tusk Dsport tire. Those two things totally transformed the bike off-road...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.