TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Mods - What's your favorite that you've done? What's on your "To-do" list?

21K views 76 replies 40 participants last post by  m003 
#1 ·
I've learned that I like working on my TW almost as much as riding it. I've only had it 8 months and feel like I'm maxing out on the mods (probably not but that's what this post is for).

So far I have done: IMS Super Stock footpegs, JNS Headlight, Tusk Utility Rack, Tusk D-Flex handguards (basically copied Rocky Mountain youtube vid for that list).

Looking to do: Shinko 241 front tire, skid plate

What else? What's your favorite mod you've done, and what else are you looking to do?

#3 ·
I did not think it was very hard. I did have to drill two holes in the fender but the directions were clear and easy. Mainly bolts onto the fender, and the existing bolts for your passenger foot-pegs. Took me about 2 beers to install. I love it. It's very sturdy.

Let me try to post a couple of pics.

#6 ·
maxing out on mods already?
Ah, watch and learn, Grasshopper ...

in my sig i have the best 25 mods i've done...
The 25 Steps to My Bike or The Evolution of My Bike but wait there's more!

i doubt it will ever be completely done. have fun, make it yours and enjoy riding it.

ride on!

#7 · (Edited)
Here is what I am considering;

1) Fuel filter - a must have. Cheap insurance to prevent fuelling issues.

2) Skidplate - still not sure if I need one yet.

3) Hand guards - protects your hands and bike controls

4) New grips - the stock grips are not so good

5) Shinko 244 or 241 - I found out why they call the stock tire a "Death Wing"

6) High mounted fender - for looks and to prevent mud buildup between tire and stock fender

7) Larger foot pegs - I have size 12 feet and the stock pegs are small and awkward

8) Longer shifter - Not sure if I need one yet. I am hoping the larger foot pegs will make shifting easier.

9) Adjustable clutch and brake levers - Should make life easier and more precise

10) Jet Kit - get that carb running to its full potential

11) FMF Exhaust - Not sure about this one. I'd have to hear a good comparison between stock and the slip-on. I
definitely do not want to be "that guy" who wakes everyone up when I go for an early morning ride.

#10 ·
Here is what I am considering;

1) Fuel filter - a must have. Cheap insurance to prevent fuelling issues.

2) Skidplate - still not sure if I need one yet.

3) Hand guards - protects your hands and bike controls

4) New grips - the stock grips are not so good

5) Shinko 244 or 241 - I found out why they call the stock tire a "Death Wing"

6) High mounted fender - for looks and to prevent mud buildup between tire and stock fender

7) Larger foot pegs - I have size 12 feet and the stock pegs are small and awkward

8) Longer shifter - Not sure if I need one yet. I am hoping the larger foot pegs will make shifting easier.

9) Adjustable clutch and brake levers - Should make life easier and more precise

10) Jet Kit - get that carb running to its full potential

11) FMF Exhaust - Not sure about this one. I'd have to hear a good comparison between stock and the slip-on. I definitely do not want to be "that guy"
who wakes everyone up when I go for an early morning ride.

Hadn't thought of fuel filter
Skidplate is on my list
Love my handguards...true story, laid my bike down for the first time (in mud thankfully) the day after installing hand-guards. Probably would have damaged clutch lever without them
Grips - didn't think of these until I probably over cut them due to installing hand-guards
High fender intrigues me
Love the larger foot pegs
Have thought about exhaust also

#8 ·
My favorite so far is the cycleracks.com rear rack. No, the ammo box on top. No, the wolfman saddlebags that fit perfectly under the cycleracks. No, the Jimbo shield. No, the Mad Dog seat cover. No, the aftermarket cyclegear hand guards. No, the aftermarket cyclegear big boy foot pegs. No, the.... you know what, I like everything i've done so far and dammitt, I fear I'll never be done. Shinko tires, pro taper bars with Rox risers, pillow top grips with heat, Endustrian heat shield, the.... see what I mean. Not to mention all the accessories for the rider. UUGH!
Mountainous landforms Mountain range Vehicle Mountain Motorcycle

Reactions: grewen and Darth
#11 ·
My favorite so far is the cycleracks.com rear rack. No, the ammo box on top. No, the wolfman saddlebags that fit perfectly under the cycleracks. No, the Jimbo shield. No, the Mad Dog seat cover. No, the aftermarket cyclegear hand guards. No, the aftermarket cyclegear big boy foot pegs. No, the.... you know what, I like everything i've done so far and dammitt, I fear I'll never be done. Shinko tires, pro taper bars with Rox risers, pillow top grips with heat, Endustrian heat shield, the.... see what I mean. Not to mention all the accessories for the rider. UUGH!
View attachment 195052
You're right..haven't even started with rider accessories. I already have two helmets and want a third. Rider boots, better riding clothing, better winter riding gloves (I like my summer ones).

#16 · (Edited)
Here's my mod list to date;
$0 Chopped 1" off each handlebar end for a narrower profile and better riding stance.
$30 kick stand - XT225 installed
$120 tank - XT225 lined and instaled
petcock - XT225
fuel cap - mod to remove key lock
$12 tail light assy - replaced with LED
$11 front fender and bracket - removed and installed tall fender
$89 skid plate - removed and installed Richochet
$11 clutch springs -removed and replaced w/stronger springs
$67 chain - removed and replaced with DID x-ring
$5 rear turn signals - removed and replaced with LED off eBay
$5 front turn signals - removed and replaced iwth LED off eBay
forks reflectors - removed
$20 seat cover/pad - installed camo
$65 bar risers - installed
$32 pilot screw adjuster
$6 pilot screw
$53 front tire
$25 foot pegs
$39 tire sealant
$14 pilot jet from 31 to 34
$72 LED headlight
$10 carb needle shims installed
$5 Quick release seat bolts/pins
$55 Jimbo Shield
$27 Folding, longer shift lever
$25 service manual
$12 longer rear brake arm (for better braking power w/ the leverage)
$11 LED flasher relay
$10 LED dash lights
$3 tank decal
$45 Givi trunk mounting plate
$11 oil filters
$8 Irridium spark plug
$100 Manrack rear rack
$212 Kick start kit
$40 Bark busters
$95 LIFo Battery
$10 Pro Taper Grips
$25 Kimpex Grip Heaters
$14 Fork Seal Guards
$10 Tach/hour meter
$50 Stainless pipe
$40 gun scabbard
$10 folding brake peddle
$30 battery charger
$130 Doubletake indestructable mirrors
$50 shorty clutch and front brake levers
$60 camo vinyl covering

I don't have all the mods installed in this photo, like the camo seat cover, but you get the idea....

#18 · (Edited)
Done:
Raised front fender with SS washers
Ricochet skid plate. Coated top with bedliner and painted silver
EBC HD clutch springs
Gold (!) DID X-ring chain
fork reflectors - reversed
Rox pivoting bar risers
Shinko 241 front tire
valve core removal valve stem caps
Krator foot pegs
Ride-On tire sealant/balancer
Smoke color Jimbo shield
IMS shift lever
Manracks rear rack (Utility)
Rotopax mount and 2 gallon can
Manracks front rack
Rok straps
Sebastian's kick start kit
Barkbusters with White jet handshields
Battery tender
Ken Sean folding mirrors
shorty clutch and front brake levers
Spot Satellite holder
Ram Toughclaw with X grip cell phone holder
USB ports voltage indicator

To do:
Rejet carb - have parts
fork preload adjusters and add fork oil - have parts
fork emulators (maybe)
tankbag mosko moto?
pillow top grips
grip heaters
water crossing carb vent mod
Beeline Moto (when it comes)
new bars (when I bend these)
LED lighting
tool roll
luggage Mosko moto?
Lithium Battery (maybe)
modify brake lever with step

#19 · (Edited)
I have added a re-donku-las number of accessories similar to the above Gents. The 3 favorites that jump out to me are:
The 2" Rox handle bar risers, the heavy duty fork springs and the hugest set of footpegs I could find (pic attached), they required some modification, but are super comfortable for standing long time GI. :)
These bikes are addicting.

#21 ·
LED headlight bulb
LED tail light bulb
New X ring chain and both sprockets (with seals)
New air filters
New Lithium (ion) batteries
Fresh rubber (TW34 rear, Hiedenau K60 front)
Rear Manrack (good strong racks)
All balls steering bearings

Starts on the button, pulls like a train – don’t know what all the fuss is about

“To do” – JNS dark headlight arrived yesterday, looking forward to fitting it -and once the Hamster comes back from vacation, the fork oil - I just hope I don’t lose “the clunk”, (or the Hamster) ….

#22 ·
First Mod should always be to get rid of the front tire and put a trials tire on.
Larger footpegs
Handlebar risers and hand guards
Folding longer gear shifter
Skid plate
ATV rear tire

#26 · (Edited)
I found them where? Where else....China! They are super heavy duty/thick. Needed to gently grind the insert, drill hole for left side spring and remove/grind off a small piece of aluminum in back to get full movement/retraction. Now after several dirt rides they move freely.

My other ones got bent and then very bent in Moab...

#33 · (Edited)
Here is the link = not cheap, but made of Chinesium, longer, wider and mucho sturdy, a solid large base. A warning, don't ride bare footed with them! after only 20 miles my feet were spewing blood!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-CNC-Fo...:TW200&hash=item4b5ff9b330:g:WhkAAOSw2s1UwaHn

No need for any lecture…..totally kidding about bare footing it, These have sharp top grips, but get wide quickly so they don't shred your boots. Also do need modification to fit properly and articulate

They come in other colors -

#29 ·
Great looking bike but I wouldn't recommend it in traffic. My wifes big gray van can't be seen in the middle of the street with the headlights on. We still have some wooded areas around and I'm sure you wouldn't be seen. That is cool for off road and trails though. I have ridden right up on a buck with mine and it isn't camo'd. I bet you can really sneak up on a deer now.

#31 ·
I'm interested in keeping a low profile from the bug-n-bunny huggers seeing as I live in California. Trail riding is akin to wearing a Make America Great Again hat or shirt in this state.
But I'll tell ya, as far as being seen, not a problem. EVERYBODY sees this thing in California! I get the stink-eye worse than if I were a Hell's Angel riding a loud Hog. Ha! Especially when the rifle scabbard is on board. I also get a lot of thumbs up from the ******* crowd. Ha!

#36 · (Edited)
I have done a lot of mods to the T-Dub since I bought it. I ride it pretty much every day. The one mod that stands out on a daily basis is the Cycleracks rack. I haul all kinds of stuff on it pretty much every day. From tires to ice chests to camping gear to whatever I need to haul that day. I like all the mods I have done but if the rack was gone it would drastically change what I can do with the T-Dub. Yes...I towed my concrete mixer 2 blocks attached to the rack. It worked perfectly and saved me a huge hassle. . Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Product Vehicle Mode of transport Tree Plant

#37 ·
My favorite mod is probably upgrading the electrics to the latest version. Harness, stator, flywheel, CDI, etc.

I just took off the Chinese VM26 clone carb and replaced it with a genuine Mikuni VM26-606 today. That seems to be working great. The Chinese carb ran ok too, but was very rich at idle; out of the pilot screw adjustment. I basically bought the real Mikuni so I would know exactly what I am getting when I buy jets. That way I can also try them in the clone carb to see if they work properly there. If they do, I'll probably use it on another bike.

A bigger tank is in the plans; in fact I have an XT600 tank I'll probably put on it.

A Cycleracks rack is probably in its future as well.

#38 · (Edited)
It’s hard to list them in the level of favorite, but the progression of how they happened as follows:

1: Bars/risers so you can stand up comfortably. Add ProGrip 714 Rally Grips in at this time as well. Add handguards in at this time too!

2: Larger foot pegs - once you start standing up, you will want larger, more comfortable foot pegs.

3: Suspension: Once you are standing up, riding more spirited, you will quickly find out that your 6-inches of travel is... well, 6-inches of travel.

My bike has an Ricochet skid plate as that came after my spirited riding engaged my crankcase into rocks that exceeded the factory skid plate levels of protection, FMF Powercore 4 exhaust with carb tuning, JNS LED headlamp, CycleRacks rear rack, Shinko 241 front tire.

On my want list:
1: Seat Concepts
2: Clarke fuel tank
3: MORE RIDE TIME!!!!!

You can read all about my bike here on the TW200 forum! https://www.tw200forum.com/#/topics/46265

#52 ·
I like your #3 on the want list...
MORE RIDE TIME! Amen to that! I SO wish I had good riding areas, in riding distance from home. Although it's worth it and I will continue to do it, I have to load up my TW in the truck and take it about hour and a half away to ride the type of riding these were built for. It amazes me that a state the size of Texas does not even come close to UT, CA, NV, CO, NM, and I'm sure many others when it comes to public places to ride.

#39 · (Edited)
Here's my bike with all the mods I have done so far:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Moped

The mods you can't see:
15 front - 47 rear sprocket
DID X Ring chain
Moose Racing Folding shift lever
Pro Grip 714 Grips - GREAT!
130 Main Jet, etc.
Mobil 1 Syn Oil
Proper oil level in front forks
Some kind of fancy, schmancy NKG spark plug I can't remember the number.....

#40 ·
Here's my bike with all the mods I have done so far:

View attachment 195634

The mods you can't see:
15 front - 47 rear sprocket
DID X Ring chain
Moose Racing Folding shift lever
Pro Grip 714 Grips - GREAT!
130 Main Jet, etc.
Mobil 1 Syn Oil
Proper oil level in front forks
Some kind of fancy, schmancy NKG spark plug I can't remember the number.....
You said “proper oil level in the front shocks”. Is there an inherent issues with the level that causes shock issues?
I have a weird clacking noise on small but sharp bumps like dirt road puddle edges.
It’s very annoying. I can make the noise just cycling the shocks sitting still.
Wondering if oil level is the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.