This Buggar-off Mobile Is Nearly Ready. - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: This Buggar-off Mobile Is Nearly Ready.

Looks good. I think brazing was good choice for fabbing. In my early days of drag racing, brazing was always used for building frame over welding it. Reason being the brass would allow frame to flex without weld breaking, when regular weld was used the weld broke due to rigidity in not allowing constant flexing. GOOD JOB bumblespecimooda.
    Darth likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Hi Gang. Back from the adventure. It was fun roughing it on the bike. Thanks all for the latest praise. Kind words can be very encouraging.

Dry-bags averaged 15lbs each, so 45-50lbs of weight on the tail.

Pics of the jerry-can mounts will be up tomorrow.

As for the brazing, I used Harris products stay-silve flux, silver brazing wire and mapp gas. The 3'8" steel brake lines, are basically soldered together, with stronger solder, at a higher temperature. This rack job was quick and dirty. Was in a hurry to meet adventure deadlines. I did a really precise job, especially the tube mitering, on a 3-year-build, 1:10th scale R/C scale Class-3 Landcruiser, roll-caged 4x4.

It was a youtube video that showed me how to braze like that. The video basically said, clean your areas with acetone, then flux, the as the temp rose, the flux turned clear right as the steel was starting to get red. Thats when I added the siver braing wire. It's cool to watch as the brasing wire wicks into the joint.

Jerry-can mounts:

IMG_0068.JPG

right side spacered to clear muffler:

IMG_0071.JPG
    Darth and tylermoney like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have patiently awaited your answers to the questions, how heavy and support bracing for the sub frame. I was very impressed with your fabrication and techniques but sure did have some doubts regarding the weight carrying capacity of such a well made but large rear rack.
    It sure looks as though you have solved the main issue with the sub frame support braces but time and trial will tell. Damn, I work with wood either building cabinets or furniture or repairing and stabilizing previous failures made by those before me and I can see you doing exactly as I do. Sit, look things over, look things over again and again and keep looking things over as you slowly work through all the issues that need to be overcame piece by piece. I can only imagine the hours you have spent designing and fabricating this masterpiece and it is still a work in progress. I think I will be safe to say you did some designs on this and then didn't like it so you re designed as you went along. The best part of your materials is they are not nearly as expensive as many of the woods I have worked with and when I make a mistake or have to re do something in a very fancy wood it costs me dearly. Really sweet aluminum fabbing there and that stuff does get pricey pretty quick I just have to ask if you have all the equipment to make the aluminum or did you have a specialty shop do some of that stuff for you?
    I do hope most who are viewing this build project understand this is not something you could afford to pay for with all the hours that went into it. Don't expect to see these racks mass produced any time soon and even if he would make one for you it will be quite costly for sure. This is what I call a DIFY project and I have done many in wood, "Do It For Yourself" and NO, I won't do it for anyone else.
    I made this bathroom medicine cabinet some years ago in my favorite Mission furniture style while updating the older Craftsman home we lived in. I spent way too many hours and spent way too many dollars before I had it the way me and my wife wanted it. I have been begged to sell it or to make it for a few other people and the answer is always a big fat NO!

DSCN0637.JPGDSCN0646.JPG

My hat is off to you and a big thumbs up.

GaryL
    BUMBLESPECIMOODA likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I like your cabinetry. I've never worked with woods yet. Maybe in the future.

As for my this bike's fab work, there was no re-doing. It is far from my best work. This was all improv, as I was time limitted because of a vacation deadling. There are a few things that I would change if I was picky, but I burried that side of me for this project.

The build was all practical, and not asthtetic (spelling). I might get the rack powder-coated (free from a buddy), but I might just leave it raw.

Cheers,
    Darth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BUMBLESPECIMOODA View Post
    I like your cabinetry. I've never worked with woods yet. Maybe in the future.

As for my this bike's fab work, there was no re-doing. It is far from my best work. This was all improv, as I was time limitted because of a vacation deadling. There are a few things that I would change if I was picky, but I burried that side of me for this project.

The build was all practical, and not asthtetic (spelling). I might get the rack powder-coated (free from a buddy), but I might just leave it raw.

Cheers,
    It is all the same principal, Joinery! I would love to learn the art of metal fabrication that you are having so much fun with. At some point every man and woman must face their limitations and in my case the limits come from how much room I have for tools and machines and the room to build stuff with them. As a word of caution to all you simply can't have a shared work space with both woodworking and metalworking tools and machines. My wrenches and mechanics tools do share the space with my wood stuff but cutting, grinding and welding metal would be a major fire hazard and will not be done. The barter system should be all of our friends. I have done my woodcraft in exchange for metal fabrication and numerous other specialty work I have had the need for. One of my gunsmith buddies has asked me numerous times to refinish nice rifle stocks in exchange for work I needed mounting a scope or some other gun related repair I just don't have the tools or knowledge for. One thing to be mindful of is that every craftsman knows all the little mistakes made in fabrication so just learn to accept that nothing is perfect and the hardest one to please is yourself. Nice work there Bumble and any little imperfections that you can clearly see in your work can't be seen from my house.

GaryL
    BUMBLESPECIMOODA likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    Any updates to your bike?
    Peterb likes this.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Props! Very nice, inspiring even, especially with the write-up on getting started.
    Last edited by ibdavid; 09-06-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    2004 TW200, low miles (not enough riding).
    Other 2 wheel toys; many bicycles and a honda CT90.

UPDATE:

2-Gallons of water capabillity.

Check it:

MOLLY @ CRAIG'S.jpg

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    I really like how clean you kept everything. Lots of capacity, but without looking cluttered. Easy access to your stuff, too.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links