Close

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By TWBigBlake
  • 3 Post By Trail Woman
  • 2 Post By Darth
  • 2 Post By methamphetasaur
  • 1 Post By Xracer
  • 1 Post By TWBigBlake

Thread: Aerodynamic TW suspension upgrade...

Aerodynamic TW suspension upgrade...

I found these on amazon:

TDPRO Front 33mm Fork Suspension Shock Absorber For Dirt Pit Pro Trail Bike https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4KTLW3..._jMXuDbBXTQFC0

Those are around 35” in length... not sure about travel, judging by the sheen of these forks, I’m 99% positive they are superior to the current TW fork

With my extensive knowledge in motorcycle suspension geometry and modern physics... my hypothesis is using shorter front forks... will make bike faster, jump higher, and more stable with half the bikes new lower-center of gravity (this is assuming the bike has two completely segmented centers of mass).

I gotta finish putting in the cartridge emulators in my current front forks... if I can find a matching caliper and wheel setup for these “amazon-special” forks... I am tempted to try out this frankenbike setup...

...thoughts?
    Trail Woman likes this.

TW forks are 30" long so imagine your TW 5" lower. Then the springs are made to hold 100lbs less so you'd be almost bottomed out. It's also a 12mm axle and the TW is a 15mm

Haha...your skid plate would be working full time. Maybe a snowmobile is what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 08-13-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    Ken, Xracer and Darth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    TW forks are 30" long so imagine your TW 5" lower. Then the springs are made to hold 100lbs less so you'd be almost bottomed out. It's also a 12mm axle and the TW is a 15mm

Haha...your skid plate would be working full time. Maybe a snowmobile is what you're looking for.
    Ah, for some reason I had it in my head that it would be way shorter than the tw forks and looked more like some weird low-rider circus motorcycle... now it seems about as exciting as when I had hair and would part it on the opposite side expecting to look totally different.

Either way, with me riding, that skid plate would turn to dust ASAP.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was going to insure his teeth ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Other concerns would be quality of metal, rubber, precision machined clearances, strength, steering geometry, etc.

But, I appreciate your quest for improvement and "thinking outside the box"!
    I've always believed that a stock motorbike is like a blank canvas to an artist.
    In 62 years of riding I've had ~40 bikes.
    The only one I ever left righteously "stock" was a Bultaco 360cc "Astro" factory flat tracker...anybody remember those?

Trail Woman and Xracer like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Lowering the center of gravity will not necesarrily make a bike handle better. If you do so by just installing shorter forks on the front, it will most certainly make it less stable, not more so. The rake and trail angles will be much smaller, resulting in the bike being twitchy as all hell. And that's not even including if the angle is sharp enough to put the weight of the rider more forward over the front, which will make handling even that much more twitchy.

There's a reason most lowering kits include smaller rear springs and not the front as well.
    Darth and Fred like this.

Full disclosure this was definitely not meant to be a serious post.just thought it might be fun to try out some really short forks and ride it around while I got my other forks on the workbench.

I try not to take stuff too serious.

Then Trail Woman swoops in to ensure I will forever remember the tw forks length, and realized... 5 inches doesn’t really change the look much, it just makes the idea dumb, lol.

On a serious suspension note, I’m hitting Worx shocks up this week to see if they started or finished rebuilding the tw200 custom shock template, see if we can get a shock for a big boy on here... otherwise I’m dropping in a shock from a banshee or somethin.

I knew you had to be kidding. The sarcasm was a bit thick.

You could get them to work with spacers in the springs and raise them in the triple clamps a bit but they wouldn't be good for more then a putt around on smooth ground.

Or you could get longer ones and go chopper for a bit...

Darth:
    Please do not post any more pictures of Bultaco's. It's a love/hate thing for me but when I see a picture of a clean one it still chokes me up. What can I say? Those where the best years of my racing life.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    I knew you had to be kidding. The sarcasm was a bit thick.

You could get them to work with spacers in the springs and raise them in the triple clamps a bit but they wouldn't be good for more then a putt around on smooth ground.

Or you could get longer ones and go chopper for a bit...
    803F1622-2CBE-4316-A281-EC590DFF4C72_1565892386424.jpeg

I went looking for a tw200 chopper pic in hopes I’d have some shade to throw at it... but you know... as much as I think it’s dumb to just overmod a bike until it’s unrecognizable... this tw200 chopper doesn’t look too bad!
    Trail Woman likes this.

Sponosred Links