Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Recommended Tachometer

Recommended Tachometer

Anyone use a tach?

If so what brands?

Any issues with them?

Advice – keep it simple

Too many people try to wire up these all singing and dancing digital speedo/tachometers and come a cropper. I may be wrong here, but I cannot recollect a definitive thread on here that explains what wires go to where to allow for speedo, indicators, neutral light, high beam, speedo light, tacho etc – it all gets “complicated”

All you need is simple tacho that takes a signal from between the HT coil and the plug to give you a pulse, with the ability to “halve” that signal (it’s a four stroke), and if you need it back lit, splice a feed from your speedo light

Recommendations – none. For one thing, I’m in the UK, and for the second, my ears tell me when I’m over revving a TW. The power drops off, my fillings start to fall out, and by-standers start to stare …..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Advice – keep it simple

Too many people try to wire up these all singing and dancing digital speedo/tachometers and come a cropper. I may be wrong here, but I cannot recollect a definitive thread on here that explains what wires go to where to allow for speedo, indicators, neutral light, high beam, speedo light, tacho etc – it all gets “complicated”

All you need is simple tacho that takes a signal from between the HT coil and the plug to give you a pulse, with the ability to “halve” that signal (it’s a four stroke), and if you need it back lit, splice a feed from your speedo light

Recommendations – none. For one thing, I’m in the UK, and for the second, my ears tell me when I’m over revving a TW. The power drops off, my fillings start to fall out, and by-standers start to stare …..
    After paroozing a bit, that’s why I came here, I just want a small mid-bar mounted tachometer. I can feel the shift points out fairly well, but it would be nice to know what rpms I’m at when running around redline, just for my own reference.

Something that resembles and old Casio calculator would do, but it seems like you HAVE to buy something with extra tassels and frills.

Hopefully someone has found a simple one and is willing to share their secret!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

These all seem to have about doubled in price in the last year but still good value and performance. Lots of similar options to this: Runleader HM026A Self Powered Engine Digital Maintenance Tachometer Hour Meter for Lawn Mower Generator Dirtbike Motorcycle Outboard Marine Paramotors Snowmobile and Chainsaws

2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    I went up that road. It looked nice at night when it lit up. The whole idea is a bunch of crap. Just shift when the mirrors vibrate and you can't see out of them. If you have to have one before you come to the conclusion it is worthless, do not spend anymore than ten dollars including shipping from Wal-Mart. Just don't do it. We all bolt stuff on these machines because we are bored over the winter. They serve no purpose. Doesn't anyone fall down on these things anymore? Save your money and buy a tank mounted Wolfman Enduro bag instead. You are welcome. If these bikes needed a tachometer I would buy one and believe you me, it would be the best one in the world. Ask anybody. Nobody should buy any other tachometer than the one I would have bought if these bikes needed a tachometer. Everyone should buy the tachometer I would buy for their TW if I thought these bikes needed a tachometer.

Nobody should buy a tachometer for their TW 200.

Cheap tach off ebay. I think I paid $7 for it but it might have been a little bit more. Probably is more now.

One wire wraps around the spark plug wire and the other to ground (I think there was a ground). I made a little metal bracket to mount mine on but I have seen others simply use zip ties. Riding a constant speed they work fine otherwise the reading lags a little bit time wise.

For the price how can you go wrong?

9000arpm.jpg

Edit: I found a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hour-Meter-...0AAOSwDNdV0-VE
    Last edited by elime; 08-15-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    TW-Brian, Purple, Fred and 2 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

[QUOTE=TWBigBlake;1015476]
    Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Cheap tach off ebay. I think I paid $7 for it but it might have been a little bit more. Probably is more now.

One wire wraps around the spark plug wire and the other to ground (I think there was a ground). I made a little metal bracket to mount mine on but I have seen others simply use zip ties. Riding a constant speed they work fine otherwise the reading lags a little bit time wise.

For the price how can you go wrong?

9000arpm.jpg

Edit: I found a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hour-Meter-...0AAOSwDNdV0-VE
    Thanks Elime, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Casio calculator-cheap and simple 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bryce Winnick View Post
    I went up that road. It looked nice at night when it lit up. The whole idea is a bunch of crap. Just shift when the mirrors vibrate and you can't see out of them. If you have to have one before you come to the conclusion it is worthless, do not spend anymore than ten dollars including shipping from Wal-Mart. Just don't do it. We all bolt stuff on these machines because we are bored over the winter. They serve no purpose. Doesn't anyone fall down on these things anymore? Save your money and buy a tank mounted Wolfman Enduro bag instead. You are welcome. If these bikes needed a tachometer I would buy one and believe you me, it would be the best one in the world. Ask anybody. Nobody should buy any other tachometer than the one I would have bought if these bikes needed a tachometer. Everyone should buy the tachometer I would buy for their TW if I thought these bikes needed a tachometer.

Nobody should buy a tachometer for their TW 200.
    Man I thought you were really comin after my tach post, deleted my previous response. I’m not all there today... but I was definitely ready to die on my tachometer cross...
    Purple and Roofus like this.

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    TWBigBlake: Lets make peace in the valley. I will send you my tachometer. No postage-no anything. I got this. Email me at [email protected]. Give me a mailing address and I will get it out to you. I am serious. It is a Wal-Mart tach. Looks cool at night. Chrome and waterproof. The guys on this site have been good to me. I got a screaming deal on riding pants when I first got on this forum and a screaming deal on a Coleman pad (I got an affidavit that the prior owner never rode without pants on so I am positive I got a good deal). In all seriousness, give me a yell. You can have the tachometer. Thanks MBW
    GOF, Roofus and FishByte like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bryce Winnick View Post
    TWBigBlake: Lets make peace in the valley. I will send you my tachometer. No postage-no anything. I got this. Email me at [email protected]. Give me a mailing address and I will get it out to you. I am serious. It is a Wal-Mart tach. Looks cool at night. Chrome and waterproof. The guys on this site have been good to me. I got a screaming deal on riding pants when I first got on this forum and a screaming deal on a Coleman pad (I got an affidavit that the prior owner never rode without pants on so I am positive I got a good deal). In all seriousness, give me a yell. You can have the tachometer. Thanks MBW
    I appreciate it, a lot! I should have read twice and responded once... I just put up a post about modded TWs that was laden with sarcasm and I think I started a bigblake hate-club.

I really would take yours but I ordered the tach from Elime’s post

Virtual fist bump for now 🙂

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links