help me shut up
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: help me shut up

help me shut up

I've been putting some around town miles on the TW this month commuting a few miles to work. Being new to the dirt bike scene and riding on the street with cars has taken some getting used to. I'm definitely getting a lot more confident in traffic and an learning the mule, great fun!

On to my issue; The bike is too loud, period. It has an aftermarket DG and it really does sound great "if" you like thumpy and loud. I'm fine with this unless I want to hit the back trails and places where not a lot of people venture. In this exploration I don't want a loud motorcycle. I've done plenty of exploring on a mountain bike, but I'm liking the twist of throttle to get further and explore more.

2 questions. Should I get the DG "quiet insert" and re-jet as needed, or should I go back to a stock pipe?......or are these little mules just high on db levels?
    Last edited by ibdavid; 08-21-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    2004 TW200

Stock exhaust is meant for TW's...it's NOT a Harley
    "Life Member NRA"

The DG was so loud it made me laugh that a lil motor like that could make such noise! I put in the quiet insert and am very comfie with the sound now. I also feel there was a good "pop" in seat feel power with DG, freer flowing filter and re jet.
    admiral and Darth like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Open DG – loud
    Quiet core DG – half as loud
    Stock pipe – much better

There’s no comparison between the “quiet” DG and stock – I’ve tried them both – if you’re after a sound that wouldn’t startle a wild pony, go for stock …..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I would say trade someone your DG for a stock muffler. If you ride with others they will appreciate not getting hit in face anymore with the DG's obnoxious puffs of effluent due to a lack of a downturned exhaust tip. The DG is a competition pipe so if you have a competitive attitude of "Screw you, I am ahead of you and that is all that counts, here eat my exhaust" then keep it and be obnoxious hoping others will keep their distance behind you. Personally I like the stock pipe's ability to permit conversations with a rider beside you at low throttle settings while on the move, very socially responsible when in a group.
    I have ridden a few others members TWs with the DG and never noticed a significant performance gain that accompanies the dB gain. However others may disagree and see a favorable cost/benefit analysis for the DG that I don't.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Yeah! I want to be that too....responsible AND conscious of others. I've transitioned from kid to adult on the loud and obnoxious side of things. There's a time and place for everything, including loud, but not on trails and back roads. At the drag strip, give me loud and obnoxious please!

Looks like going back to a stock setup may be the answer. Anyone looking for a nice DG pipe?...........or does anyone have a stock exhaust for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I would say trade someone your DG for a stock muffler. If you ride with others they will appreciate not getting hit in face anymore with the DG's obnoxious puffs of effluent due to a lack of a downturned exhaust tip. The DG is a competition pipe so if you have a competitive attitude of "Screw you, I am ahead of you and that is all that counts, here eat my exhaust" then keep it and be obnoxious hoping others will keep their distance behind you. Personally I like the stock pipe's ability to permit conversations with a rider beside you at low throttle settings while on the move, very socially responsible when in a group.
    I have ridden a few others members TWs with the DG and never noticed a significant performance gain that accompanies the dB gain. However others may disagree and see a favorable cost/benefit analysis for the DG that I don't.
    2004 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by ibdavid View Post
    Yeah! I want to be that too....responsible AND conscious of others. I've transitioned from kid to adult on the loud and obnoxious side of things. There's a time and place for everything, including loud, but not on trails and back roads. At the drag strip, give me loud and obnoxious please!

Looks like going back to a stock setup may be the answer. Anyone looking for a nice DG pipe?...........or does anyone have a stock exhaust for sale?

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading my stock exhaust for the DG,

Still in decent condition? Is it compatible with all years? I have a 2019 TW

Fee free to send me a message on here.

Trade plus some money, or have DG buyer pick up both shipping costs. There likely is more demand for the stock-to-DG swap than the DG-to-stock swap. Thus supply and demand market considerations means somewhat of a seller's market for ibdavid.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Trade plus some money, or have DG buyer pick up both shipping costs. There likely is more demand for the stock-to-DG swap than the DG-to-stock swap. Thus supply and demand market considerations means somewhat of a seller's market for ibdavid.
    I’d agree for folks with older bikes trying to trade up. But a 2019 with 600+ miles on it... that’s like a retail difference from the DG of like 30 bucks (bikebandit oem TW muffler - $259 on sale).

But I’m a pro-capitalism guy, I say go for it if he wants to make some extra money on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links