Tread Trimming
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tread Trimming

I know there has been talk about tread trimming, the stock rear tire, using a KnobbyKnife or other Hot Knife. Has anyone tried it? I am looking for some real world comments, before I spend the $$ for the Knife, then the $$$ to replace the tire I mess up.

I just orderd a GP-1 for the front. Now I need a bit more from the back, for the fast approaching mud riding season. Its not that I "plan" on going there, its just where my t-dub likes to take me.

Thanks,
    1999 Honda ST1100A (to go highway )

2000 Suzuki DR650 (to go byway )

2004 Yamaha TW200 (to go anywhere )

Ronnydog has done quite a bit of knifing on aftermarket front tires and his ATV rear tires, but IIRC he didn't find much value to it with the stock knobby. Maybe he'll chime in later. I think he has some insight on a reasonably priced groover that works pretty well, too.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Wow.. hadn't considered this option; here's hoping some data (and pictures) come about!
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by old_dual_rider View Post
    I know there has been talk about tread trimming, the stock rear tire, using a KnobbyKnife or other Hot Knife. Has anyone tried it? I am looking for some real world comments, before I spend the $$ for the Knife, then the $$$ to replace the tire I mess up.

I just orderd a GP-1 for the front. Now I need a bit more from the back, for the fast approaching mud riding season. Its not that I "plan" on going there, its just where my t-dub likes to take me.

Thanks,

My computer is down but this is the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzz3r2zZbwA You san get them on ebay for $60.00. I grooved up my Bighorn 26/9/14 and my Maxxis front.

Ronydog

very cool, has any one trimmed the stock rear ? if so what pattern did you try, and how did it work out ?

Since the back tire doesn't have a lot of shortcomings to begin with on the pavement, I can only assume the real gain here to be off-road use. On-road, I'd guess cutting the tread will only contribute to faster wear. Does this seem legitimate? I'm familiar with cutting bigger 4x4 tires, but doing it on a knobby isn't something I've ever seriously thought about.
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

Exactly what I would love the result to be, a working 60/40 tire. We cant buy a Kenda big block, Shinko 244, or IRC GP-1 for the rear of the mighty T-Dub. Airing down helps, but you have to agree, in sand or mud the stock falls a bit short. I would gladly give up a few street miles, to get a bit more capable off road tire.

I intend to order a Knobby Knife this week. My initial thought is to trim (widen) the space between the center lugs a bit so the result will open up the current 1/4 inch gap to be more in line with the adjacent lug , about 3/8 inch. I am not sure if I should do each one, or some other pattern like every other or every third.

I don't know a good way to collect real data, of the differences, or if i just need to ride it for a week or so and give a seat of the pants opinion.

I am not expecting to duplicate what the ATV tire provides. But I have been in situations where I have ran out of tire, long before I ran out of motor, or even skill ( I am not as agressive as many on this forum).

I am open to any ideas based on fact or theroy, please chime in!!!

Thanks, for any and all input

Ronnydog's having puter issues. I'll post this and he can fill in the blanks later.

PlacerLode likes this.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

That rascal should get a bite.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

I've never used a knobby knife but I suspect a tire groover might be more consistent for this type of cut

PlacerLode likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links