ProCycle tail light kit
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: ProCycle tail light kit

ProCycle tail light kit

Ordered and installed the procycle tail light kit. Total buyers remorse shortly after install attempt, I basically spent 60+ for a steel plate.. that I had to modify to adapt a $9 eBay tail light because the Chinese garbage ProCycle sends showed up DOA.

I'm happy with the outcome, it really cleans up the back of the bike, but definitely wish I had just cut, bent, drilled and painted a steel plate, myself...

4F40F2E4-F471-4C2A-95AC-6C7F6012885C_1567381093424.jpeg

5CAAF517-3D64-418B-9DA8-854969BFD330_1567381146248.jpeg
    Fred and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Looks pretty good but as you say... $60.00.
    Get rid of those stock lollypop turn signals now. That tail light is making them look even worse that they are.
    Someone posted some pretty nice LED signals awhile back for almost nothing. I bought a set. They are excellent.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I still don't understand why folks want to take away a perfectly good fender. Keeps dirt, mud, rocks, and poop from flinging up on your back.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Apolloha View Post
    I still don't understand why folks want to take away a perfectly good fender. Keeps dirt, mud, rocks, and poop from flinging up on your back.
    I've never understood that or making your brake light and turn signals near impossible to see in daylight. Up where I live I may be in a perfectly sunny day when I leave for work and possibly fog on the way home. I want everyone around me to see me as much as possible. But hey... To each their own. I have wondered if you do get nailed from the rear and it goes to court, if you would possibly lose from putting one of these kits on and the driver says they didn't see your brake light. Because of the high chance of fog here on any given day, I'm thinking about making the little reflector down low an LED reflector panel as well. It may take a beating in that spot, so I'm going to put a fuse on it right after the point I tap off the brake light circuit, and they are fairly cheap to replace. I've found them in the trailer lighting sections in auto stores and wally world.
    2013 TW200
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan75 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolloha View Post
    I've never understood that or making your brake light and turn signals near impossible to see in daylight. Up where I live I may be in a perfectly sunny day when I leave for work and possibly fog on the way home. I want everyone around me to see me as much as possible. But hey... To each their own. I have wondered if you do get nailed from the rear and it goes to court, if you would possibly lose from putting one of these kits on and the driver says they didn't see your brake light. Because of the high chance of fog here on any given day, I'm thinking about making the little reflector down low an LED reflector panel as well. It may take a beating in that spot, so I'm going to put a fuse on it right after the point I tap off the brake light circuit, and they are fairly cheap to replace. I've found them in the trailer lighting sections in auto stores and wally world.
    I'm not following... I chose this for better visibility of the lights when running and braking.

LEDs are directional and don't rely on a reflector or housing for visibility like the previous incandescent lamp, making them more likely to produce lighting that is emanating directly behind the vehicle, more likely to be in-line with other vehicles direct field-of-view.

I could see a trucker seated higher close to my tail might not get a direct shot from them. I'm just not understanding the sacrifice of visibility, maybe it doesn't show up in the photos, but that sucker is bright.

If there's something I'm missing, please let me know as I still consider myself a new rider and definitely could be overlooking something here.

I have it and would say it is far brighter both in daylight and at night. I have no regrets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    admiral and Darth like this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I have it and would say it is far brighter both in daylight and at night. I have no regrets.
    Lol I like that decal "Rut-Roh"
    MtnMan75 likes this.

You've greatly decreased the area of it. You could put an LED under the original housing and also that stock housing can be seen from the sides is my point. The LED's without the reflective surface are not as noticeable when the sun is at your back... at least not to me when I've rode around with people that had both. You really have to be looking straight at these to notice them under certain conditions compared to stock/reflector type signals. My stock brake light housing now has a Sylvania ZEVO LED light in it. Ultra bright and can be seen from multiple angles in bright light and that's also a big reason I kept it is you see it from the sides. These are things I've noticed just from being behind bikes on this mountain in the fog. I had put one of these fender kits on my DRZ a long time ago and went back to the stock fender with the additional reflector down low and bigger light housing with the bulb I just mentioned. This brake light housing is the exact same one that is on the dizzer. Although I really like my LED headlight for my own vision at night... In daylight, the stock halogen lamp is way more visible and bright in the daytime unless you are looking straight into it. I accept this trade off. I'd rather see the eyes of the deer in the woods along the road at night so that's a trade off I accept. Like I said... to each his own. I hope everyone always makes it safely to their destinations.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 09-02-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    Apolloha likes this.
    2013 TW200
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Definitely why I asked, I do a lot of reading, but books and manuals don't always provide the riding experience and knowledge a lot of you have.

I definitely agree with you, the original tail light housing was designed as both a way to disperse the light all around as well as reflect, a quality not included with directional LEDs,

With that in mind, and stealing from your previous post, MtnMan, I'd be interested to see if I could find some LED lit reflectors to replace the ones that hold my license plate to the new steel plate.

That would keep it low profile, or just make some, drill out the original license plate reflectors put some LED lights behind the reflector and bondo some threaded tube and tighten with a nut. The profile would be atypical to normal motorcycles and cars so drivers would notice, good light dispersement, even in low-visibility and the running light from the tail light is right there to provide power.

Thank you MtnMan!

Edit: I think I found something that'll work, just need to see if I can split the plastic reflector cap off of some extra license plate bolts I have and see if these will fit inside with a little finesse and some glue...

1DA5F45D-D960-4826-A9C6-46CED7DEA6BE_1567462361548.jpeg
    Last edited by TWBigBlake; 09-02-2019 at 04:15 PM.

There is a vast variety of LED 1157 bulbs for direct replacement in the TW's stock front turn signal housings as well as the tail light. Some are certainly more bright than others. Strobe LED 1157s can be had too. A good value might be a set of four of these, each putting out 1000 lumen, all four for $20. A pair of these with a digital flasher to correct the flash rate would really brighten up the front OEM blinkers as well as doing same for tail light. I use similar LED conversion bulbs for back up lights on my 4x4s, direct replacement for OEM bulbs.
    AUTOGINE 4 X 1000 Lumens Super Bright 9-30V 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs 3014 54-EX Chipsets with Projector for Back Up Reverse Lights DRL Tail Brake Lights, Xenon White

AUDEW 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash
    jeepster09 and Darth like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links