Marvin Shaw Shocks...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Marvin Shaw Shocks...

Ok... long story (not so) short, a series of unfortunate events with the banshee shock and just getting plain old tired of swapping in and out, testing, trying to get nitro filled... I abandoned ship to pursue an endeavor for a quality designed part, which inadvertently led to a great experience.

Consulting my friend on shock options... I have to share this text message:

0F192D51-AC7F-4CFA-BDE1-BE6D96B3AB13_1569026313343.jpeg
    F1E4F452-13F0-4CC5-BBAC-98CB9D2B0F70_1569026332379.jpeg

The cool part is after working with MSS with measurements and weight, they managed to handle biz with one of their front shocks since I was working off of the banshee dimensions, resulting in a much lower ($260) price point. Total was a little more because I had the shock body and spring powder coated.

Second cool part, as Fred mentioned to me in a post and became a legitimate problem was the extra travel of the banshee shock... there is approx 1.5 inches extra movement the swing arm gets, that lets the tire scrub the bottom of the seat pan when you hit big bumps...

MSS took care of that by hydro-locking the last 1.5 inches of travel to prevent that.

Going to install in the morning, will report back after test ride over varying terrain.

8BD8647B-D83E-4C31-8FFE-8CE5674A3E2A_1569026509898.jpeg
    Last edited by TWBigBlake; 09-20-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Nice! Chances are you'll be getting Marvin some more business after posting this up!
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Yeah, wow. That is awesome service, and a damn good price for a unit.

Crap. Now I don't know what I need next for the Tdub. . .
    2016 TW Unmolested as of yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That is a surprisingly reasonable price since previous custom shock work by others has been quoted at twice the cost.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Installed and tested this morning, on big bumps still hits the seat pan. Compression feels just a little soft, rebound was perfect, just a little too much travel. Working with Tim at MSS to get the hydro lock distance dialed in, going to mark the shock and send it back for adjustments and to get a little more pressure added.

I'd hold off on ordering till we get the measurements dialed in. This is the first one he's built for the TW.

On a side note, aside from needing washers/spacers the fit on the bike is beautiful... the pressure valve clears the shock top plate and doesn't get in the way of the seat or wiring, and has no interference at the bottom. If you have a pressure regulator that can go high enough, you can just pop the seat and adjust the shock pressure for a stiffer/softer compression.
    Last edited by TWBigBlake; 09-21-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    Darth, Trail Woman and tylermoney like this.

Sounds good. Is he rebuildiing/customizing the banshee or basing a new custom build off of the banshee design specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    Sounds good. Is he rebuildiing/customizing the banshee or basing a new custom build off of the banshee design specs?
    Absolutely, it's a custom build based off of the banshee dimensions. So, for me, I like the bike to initially sit that .5" higher, for those that don't, or have shorter legs, I'm sure you can just have the shock shortened.
    Trail Woman likes this.

Even better...I'm looking to go 1" longer shock for 2-3" taller seat height myself. Turns out my r6 shock needle bearing is not fixable so this sounds like a good route to go.

If I ship the shock Monday, I might have it back by the weekend or following week. I'll let everyone know how the next test goes.
    Trail Woman, joeband and admiral like this.

Shock is off, mailing it out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it back next week.
    Pilot Jet 34 and Sthrnromr like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links