My custom-rack-build thread...
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: My custom-rack-build thread...

My custom-rack-build thread...

I bought a Pro-Moto billet rack for my DR, but after eating the cost of one of them...I decided to BUILD one for each of my other bikes.

The Sherpa had a custom build...
    The XT225 had a custom-build...
    The XT250 had a custom build....
    ...and now, the TW will get a custom-built rear rack.

The biggest problem with creating a rack for the TW, is that it lacks the attachment-points that all of the other aforementioned models had...and I don't want to sacrifice my pilions for the sake of a rack.

So, I've started fabricating and fitting a creation for the TW, but in my haste, I've omitted pics and a commentary...so I'll be doing that over the next week or so, as I put the finishing touches on this one.
    As it stands, I'm about 25% complete.

Stay tuned........
    YamTW87, Skinny06 and Darth like this.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

I am anxiously awaiting your reports and pics. I've been a fabricator for decades and, I too have thought about creating my own rack. I don't have a tubing bender so, this is why I've not taken on this project just yet. I can weld a square shaped one in a heart beat but, those are not as ergonomically good looking and, they're a bit more dangerous, for lack of a better word, 'cause of the sharp and square corners.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Well then....you're not going to like this one.
    I had full intentions of using square tubing and welded corners, but the welding machine at my work got stolen last week so I've had to change up the plans.

I'm using square aluminum stock for the front and rear supports and aluminum sheet for the "arms". It will all be bound together with plywood, for rigidity.
    2008 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

chehalis26.JPG
    This shows the rack TW_in_BC built for his last TW.
    My only suggestion would be to add a "long Fin" to the bottom of the subframe for extra support as I have broken it a few times.
    Too much weight and going too fast on a rough trail.
    Malamute and tylermoney like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    Well then....you're not going to like this one.
    I had full intentions of using square tubing and welded corners, but the welding machine at my work got stolen last week so I've had to change up the plans.

I'm using square aluminum stock for the front and rear supports and aluminum sheet for the "arms". It will all be bound together with plywood, for rigidity.
    Ya know, I'm sure it's gonna turn out just fine. I applaud anyone who takes on the task of something like this. In fact, you're actually triggering me to "think" about making one for mine. I got all the welding machines I need right here at the house, MIG, TIG, STICK, OXy-ACY and all that. So, it's just a matter of how I want to go about it and, what I want to make it out of.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Good Lord, man... did you superglue that bike in place to take that picture?
    ejfranz, Fred and admiral like this.
    2013 TW200 "Timba Wattla"
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan75 View Post
    Good Lord, man... did you superglue that bike in place to take that picture?
    No, just where the bike came to rest on my first attempt out of the river bed.
    admiral, MtnMan75 and Malamute like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    chehalis26.JPG
    This shows the rack TW_in_BC built for his last TW.
    My only suggestion would be to add a "long Fin" to the bottom of the subframe for extra support as I have broken it a few times.
    Too much weight and going too fast on a rough trail.
    Holy crap I thought you would have tossed that relic years ago!
    I had good intentions when I made it but it wasn't until I had to remove it one day that I realized how HEAVY it was!

Hence the reason my last three racks were made from aluminum....
    ejfranz and Darth like this.
    2008 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Ya know, I'm sure it's gonna turn out just fine. I applaud anyone who takes on the task of something like this. In fact, you're actually triggering me to "think" about making one for mine. I got all the welding machines I need right here at the house, MIG, TIG, STICK, OXy-ACY and all that. So, it's just a matter of how I want to go about it and, what I want to make it out of.
    Scott
    Unfortunately, the thieves made off with the Oxy-Acetylene setup as well....but left the wire-feed machine. I guess they know how tough those are to work with!

This new rack employs threaded holes and fasteners and will weigh a little more than I would like...but at least it will be 85% aluminum.
    2008 TW200

A crude "drawing" of what this will look like:

Rack.jpg

So....I start with a base-bracket.
    This will go behind and under the seat into those two empty threaded-holes in the sub frame.

IMG_0949.JPG

One of the 1" square bars bolts into the three holes. This bar has also been drilled and tapped on the ends to receive the side pieces.

IMG_0950.JPG IMG_0951.JPG

Of course...I'll need two of them:

IMG_0953.JPG

Unfortunately, I chose a chunk of stock from the retailers rack that was a bit marred...thinking I would get a bit of a discount for it...no such luck.
    I should have used the gnarly one as the front piece because it won't be as visible as the rear one will.

I still need to manufacture the side-pieces. The bottom slots on the side pieces will slide onto the tail-light mounts, without the need to remove the tail lights completely.
    Last edited by TW_in_BC; 09-30-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    2008 TW200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links