FMF pipe doesn’t fit
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: FMF pipe doesn’t fit

FMF pipe doesn’t fit

I bought a new FMF pipe from OEM cycles (part number 044312). When the header is all the way in and the aft mount is lined up, the forward mount is 7/8 inch too far aft. I called OEM and FMF and they both say it should fit. I’ve seen some feedback that states the same problem that I’m having. Anyone have the same problem?
    I could probably fabricate a bracket but it’s BS that I should have to do this.
    $18 out of pocket to ship back. I may just ship back and stick with the stock exhaust.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Make a little bracket. It's Yamaha's fault, somewhere along the line they changed the mounting point. Why? Heck if I know...
    Purple, 762x54 and CJ7Pilot like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

It's that way sometime. I rode Harleys in the 70's & 80's, every replacement part came in a box with a rat-tail file for adjustments.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'll make you a bracket for $18 ;p

In all seriousness though, I know it's frustrating and you're right it should fit. But alas, tis the world of modifications sometimes. If you were local, we could fab in my barn in prob ~10 mins.
    Last edited by Sthrnromr; 10-10-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Aftermarket=You gotta modify it to fit.
    grewen likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

A little piece of flat strap iron with two drilled holes should do the trick.

Last edited by littletommy; 10-10-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added picture
    jeepster09 and grewen like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    When you are done, order in a Clarke Racing tank. You can fab your right plastic on to match the FMF pipe bracket. Your bike gets that much better each time you do something like this. You may get a deduct at Pebble Beach, but you will enjoy the hell out of the job and the better pipe and better tank. FMF did not do you wrong. Yamaha has a sense of humor. Don't put your factory exhaust back on. Why would you hum along with Barry Manilow when you can be on your TW rocking to Steppenwolf.
    littletommy likes this.

300 dollars for an exhaust you should not need to take a rat tail to it or be fabbing brackets
    87 TW

By your picture, simple fix, do what Tommy suggests with little strap of band iron and drill 2 holes. That would be easier than sending back.
    My experience with aftermarket is nothing ever fits as it should. Just do the simple mod and move on.
    littletommy likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    300 dollars for an exhaust you should not need to take a rat tail to it or be fabbing brackets
    Yaaa you shouldn't have to, but more often than not you do have to. Otherwise plan on never doing any upgrades. Sadly it is the norm and not the exception.
    littletommy likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links