Large ALICE Pack makes an awesome tailbag
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Large ALICE Pack makes an awesome tailbag

I was able to attach it at one point with the straps already on it and attached it at the seat area with nylon rope to the cyclerack.

It's water *resistant*
    Very durable
    Massive
    Relatively Cheap (check Ebay, Amazon, or military surplus store)

You don't need shoulder straps or a frame but you can mount it with those and no extra straps or rope, meaning you could put it on your back and walk it if you need to. I have them, but decided to do it like this instead.

[PHOTOS ATTACHED]
    2020 TW, my first motorcycle and the only motorcycle I've ever ridden. 1500 Miles as of Oct 2019.
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"

Great idea!
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

I like the idea of a fully functional pack like this. That way when the rack or bike itself breaks then one can transfer the load to one's back. Good also for those occasional forays on foot when one does not wish to leave somewhat valuable gear unattended.
    TWBigBlake and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I like the idea of a fully functional pack like this. That way when the rack or bike itself breaks then one can transfer the load to one's back. Good also for those occasional forays on foot when one does not wish to leave somewhat valuable gear unattended.
    What Fred said... and even though you wouldn't be able to feel your arms after a couple hours using it fully loaded... I do miss how tough you felt after manhandling an Alice pack on a 15 mile ruck.

I hiked 70 miles of the foothills trail with that same pack loaded to about 20 lbs. Wasn't too bad for me. After about 30 miles you don't even notice the bruising or burning created by the padless shoulder and waist pads. You sort of become one with the pack. Really makes me wish the foothills trail was open to motorcycles, but, I do think the TW200 is the only stock bike that could really do it comfortably outside some pro trials rider on a trials bike, and even with the mighty mule, it would be tough.
    2020 TW, my first motorcycle and the only motorcycle I've ever ridden. 1500 Miles as of Oct 2019.
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"

I did something similar to this on my ride this weekend. I used a utility/hiking REI backpack I've had for years. It has so many compartments and straps, loops, hooks on it already, I was easily able to pack a change of clothes, shoes, water, snacks and all my tools. It's not quite as large as the Alice Pack, but like it, I could strap it on my shoulders if need be. Good stuff. I may have to get myself an Alice bag for an actual overnight camping trip.

IMG_3782.jpg

As you can see, still plenty of room for stuff in that bag. It can hold a lot more than you'd think.
    Last edited by tylermoney; 10-17-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    CJ7Pilot likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TDubbery View Post
    I hiked 70 miles of the foothills trail with that same pack loaded to about 20 lbs. Wasn't too bad for me. After about 30 miles you don't even notice the bruising or burning created by the padless shoulder and waist pads. You sort of become one with the pack. Really makes me wish the foothills trail was open to motorcycles, but, I do think the TW200 is the only stock bike that could really do it comfortably outside some pro trials rider on a trials bike, and even with the mighty mule, it would be tough.
    Hah! So true, I love the Alice pack but it sure doesn't take long (if it's heavy enough) for you to start finding every way possible to hate it. But 20 lbs wouldn't be too bad.

I just had a bad experience once where my rucksack was supposed to be van hauled to a training area and I'd pack in a rucksack with a radio in it (old school SINCGARS ((see below)) 40lbs with the batteries), but as expected in the army, I walk outside ready to form up, van is gone, and my Alice pack is laying there on the ground... all 35 lbs of it... so I frantically packed all the gear and radio into one ruck... sweet Jesus that was a brutal 12 miles.

You earn emotional medals of victory if you've packed that bag around.

99B84EB6-6F1F-4A13-9173-B309F2115F56_1571351918713.jpeg
    Last edited by TWBigBlake; 10-17-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWBigBlake View Post
    Hah! So true, I love the Alice pack but it sure doesn't take long (if it's heavy enough) for you to start finding every way possible to hate it. But 20 lbs wouldn't be too bad.

I just had a bad experience once where my rucksack was supposed to be van hauled to a training area and I'd pack in a rucksack with a radio in it (old school SINCGARS ((see below)) 40lbs with the batteries), but as expected in the army, I walk outside ready to form up, van is gone, and my Alice pack is laying there on the ground... all 35 lbs of it... so I frantically packed all the gear and radio into one ruck... sweet Jesus that was a brutal 12 miles.

You earn emotional medals of victory if you've packed that bag around.

99B84EB6-6F1F-4A13-9173-B309F2115F56_1571351918713.jpeg
    Old school alright. I was jumping that beast nearly thirty years ago! Our boys CANT still be using that thing are they?

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Nah, they started going to ones half the size of that after I got out of training. The new stuff they have now is all lightweight, modular, long range, and passes data... like a Wi-Fi network... they'll never understand lol

Hey TDubbery, have you ;or anyone else) tried just the butt pack for the Alice pack? I borrowed a buddies Alice for a mock-up and strap management aside, it seems to overhang a bit of it isnt loaded up.

Wondering if the buttpack might be a good alternative. Guess it really depends on the rack you have, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links