A better shifter
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: A better shifter

A better shifter

Finally fabbed a shifter mod prototype id been wanting to do. It allows you to keep your feet above the shifter and still be able to upshot which keeps your foot safe from snagging on tree roots or whatever. I did this as ive almost broken my foot several times when it was below the shifter. Just a prototype. Change a few things and clean it up a bit.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

Great idea! Please keep us updated on the final product.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

That also eliminates the problem when adding wider footpegs, of causing some Bigfoot folks to have trouble getting their boot under the now closer shifter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Recently got set up to do welding and fabricating so might start selling something like this and also a rear hub that uses an ATV rim. Time will tell.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk
    Fred, Roostfezza, Ken and 1 others like this.

Looks useful, but I'm concerned it is going to get snagged on a rock or bushes, Potentially bend onto your foot = Maybe if it had a spring swivel like many shifter pegs do to swing back out of way when needed?
    Cool idea!

I would also be concerned with it breaking engine cover if bike falls on it.
    "Life Member NRA"

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I would also be concerned with it breaking engine cover if bike falls on it.
    right. my plan is to cut off most of the width of it so its less likely to snag or damage the engine cover. but even so either of those things is better than a broken foot!

Yes, but simple drop if cover punctured will leave you stranded. Like if it drops on slow speed maneuvering on trail. The Suzuki bikes have this problem from shifter and after market makes protective covers to RTV onto side of engine to keep it from gettings holes punched. I would add some sort of cover protection. Wouldn't be a whole lot of fun pushing bike back to civilization. You could lose all your oil from simple hole [they only hold a quart].

https://www.webbikeworld.com/suzuki-...guards-review/
    "Life Member NRA"

I agree...any sort of shifter extension should be paired with some kind of case armor.
    You seem quite resourceful...you could probably make something yourself.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

I'd worry about getting my foot trapped in an accident.

I snagged my toes bad once and quickly after adapted to a stance with the balls of my feet on the pegs. It not only made for safer riding but more control over the pegs and how I weight the suspension when standing which I do a lot. Shifting up gears over anything that could snag your foot seems unlikely to me. If I were to shift over an obstacle it would be downwards and that can risk your lever. Just avoid shifting over questionable roots/rocks.

An other solution is moving the lever to higher angle spline on the shaft if you're comfortable switching gears at a higher angle. I wish I could but my ankle doesn't want to lift any higher. Especially when sitting.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 11-04-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    Donzo, ejfranz, jeepster09 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links