Ricochet skid plate install
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ricochet skid plate install

I had just purchased a new skid plate for my TW from Procycle and was about to install it on my bike when I noticed how sharp the waterjet cut edges were. I decided it needed to have the edges smoothed out as I about cut myself on the sharp edges while trying to install it on the motor. Are all the skidplates from Ricochet this way? After fileing all the edges the install was farly easy but I did have to bend up the lower rear wire loop up with a hammer to allow the rear clamps to fit to the plate flat. I did not realize how much air gap there would be between the motor and plate, at least an inch in most places. The Rcochet plate does provide great coverage and protection but with some reduced ground clearance. After the install I took the bike for a ride around the neighborhood and noticed a tinny buzzing vibration comeing from bellow the motor that wasn't there before. I chacked all thebolts and clamps and all are very tight so I think the buzzing is caused from the metal to metal contact and engine vibration. From this I have decided to wrap the rear cross tubes were the clamps go with duct tape and place some rubber spacers between the skid plate and the bottom of the motor. Anyone else have this same experiance with this skid plate? It looks great but sounds awfull!

No tinney sounds with mine, but I did sand off the sharp edges. It's a great bash plate, you'll be happy with it.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

My TW got a *lot* louder after I installed my Ricochet. It turns out, it just reflects a lot of noise upward to your ears that was always there. Easy way to stay in tune with the rumbling racket between your knees!
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have the TCI plate, not the ricochet, but I definitely experience some very audible metallic buzzing at high RPMs.

There's definitely nothing loose on mine, it's bolted down tighter than... well, it's on there tight!

I, and apparently most others with aftermarket skid plates, had fitment issues with that rear loop. I bent mine to fit, others have cut.

I've read in other places that a certain amount of buzzing is to be expected with plate metal skid plates, you have a big flat piece of metal right next to a vibrating engine, so the harmonics just sort of happen.

Now that I know the sound is coming from the plate, I've been able to relax and just tune it out.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Need pics of it installed.

Yep I noticed the noise was louder with mine also. No big deal to me though small price for the added protection.

Perhaps take an old inner tube and cut several pieces and place them on contact points....worth a shot?(works on noisy,vibrating A/C units!).Been wanting to put a different plate on mine, BUT,either you have to bend/cut the OEM metal loop or spend an arm and a leg for one you don't have to do that too?.Oh,well.....ride on.

Perhaps take an old inner tube and cut several pieces and place them on contact points....worth a shot?(works on noisy,vibrating A/C units!).Been wanting to put a different plate on mine, BUT,either you have to bend/cut the OEM metal loop or spend an arm and a leg for one you don't have to do that too?.Oh,well.....ride on.

Sorry for the double post!!!.

Just a thought. Jimbo (creator of the Jimbo Shield sprayed his stock skid plate with a rhino lining

(http://www.gpartsinc.com/p-4710-one-...FahDMgod_lcAbQ)

before changing over to the richochet skid plate. Maybe that will lessen the noise.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links