TW Dirt Build
Close
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: TW Dirt Build

At least a couple years ago I picked up this:

A 1991 TW200. Paid $500 I think. Guy said he and his friend rebuilt the motor, started it, drove it around for a minute and it stalled. He claimed to not have touched it since.

Didn’t seem quite right. In particular because of the following:

Those missing bolts are probably important… and the space in the cylinder probably hinders the whole compression thing.

Nevertheless, seeing as how I had already come down with the same mental illness we all have, I justified the price as the bike was all there and in reasonable shape – figured it was worth it for the parts.

And so it has sat for the last couple years – occasionally being moved from one spot in the shed to another.

This winter the resurrection started. The plan:

Basically, a full rebuild on a budget for the dirt. My current living arrangement means I’m storing my bikes (yeah, there’s 4 of them…) at my brothers. I’ve disassembled pieces on the weekends and cleaned/restored them during the week.
    1991 TW200 Hidden Content

Plastics were in good shape but being white, were tired looking, and showed outlines of old stickers. Not sure if this was the best approach, but I wetsanded the plastics to a nice white new look.

Before

During

After

Before

During (front tip & side not finished)

After

Before

After

All other pieces received their due cleaning. Planned to take before and after pics of all pieces but that didn’t last. Many will be repainted before they go back on.

How it looks at the moment:

Motor needs to come out and I plan to rebuild it (assuming I can). Never have rebuilt a motor before but the way I see it, I’m of reasonable intelligence, so with the forum's help, a manual, and an internet connection at hand, I just may be able to make it happen. If something is wrecked, I have access to additional parts bikes (Picked up 2 complete TW's for $300 in the fall - rough shape).

My original thought was to go ahead and order a full gasket kit before I dig into it. The idea being that I wouldn’t need to wait on parts later. But now I’m thinking I should disassemble, maybe just partially, to see where it’s at.

It’s taken me all winter to get to this point (work, the kind that pays, is pretty well all consuming). So it’s hard to say how quickly the rest will progress but I would like to think I could get it on the road this Spring. I'm hoping this post may be the needed encouragement.

You have the right attitude! One of the great things about these bikes is their simplicity, and as you pointed out there are plenty of resources on this forum to help you out if you should need it. The work so far looks great. I'm looking forward to hearing of your progress with the engine.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow! Wet sanding really revived those plastics!!

I'm putting together a new top end for my TW right now, my first motorcycle top end rebuild. Luckily I have help from someone who's done it many times, Mr.ProCycle.... If it turns out well, I'll add a kit of all the parts I used to the ProCycle TW website. Hopefully your bike only needs top end work too!

Thanks for posting all your work so far, keep it up, it's looking great!!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Mrbracket, I like the sounds of that. Procycle is where I was headed when I decide what I need to order.

As for the plastics. It did work really well for me, but I'm wondering how it would look on coloured plastics. Might result in more of a faded final product that isn't seen with the white.

Now that you have all the plastics wetsanded, if you want to bring the shine back, you can hit them with a heatgun and basically melt the top layer of plastic. I've done it before, it works wonders. You just have to be careful.

They make clear Fusion too if you want to topcoat it. Now that it's sanded it should hold real well.

Heat gun & clear fusion. Both great ideas. I think I like the matte white at the moment but for colored plastics, would defiantly go with one of those options.

Personally, I'm not into having plastics on my TW's because I'm going for the custom look, but that matte white looks fantastic!

I've never really gotten to dig in the being a mechanic in my past so I'm going to just start now. I really like you attitude about just diving into the engine.

Finally got a chance to tear into motor. Didn't have high expectations. Wasn't even sure if I would find a piston.

DIRTY!!

As it stands now:

Now I need some advice.

I think everything looks pretty good. Bottom end seems (my opinion - no experience) to be in good shape.

What do I need to replace in rebuilding this motor? What SHOULD I replace while I'm at this stage? My thoughts are piston rings & gaskets.

Anything I should be checking specifically? Any seals that should be replaced? What about swingarm bearings?

My plan is to rebuild motor, repaint frame, and start putting it all back together. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Weather is getting nice out...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links