TW Hunting Mods
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: TW Hunting Mods

Hello All,

I'm a new owner of a 2004 TW200 w/1000 miles and this is my first post. Let me say I am not a motorcycle guy. I've owned atv's for a number of years, but atv's are not allowed on forest service trails, thus the reason for my purchase. Anyway, I've read 15 pages of custom/mods and I don't even know where to begin on how to set this bike up. BTW: it is completely stock right now..

I will use it primarily as a hunting rig. So any pictures would be helpful. I need and extra fuel cell; would be nice if I could use the 1 gal Koplin I have mounted on my atv. My bike does have a factory rear rack, but I need to put a good sized lockable tote or something on the back. It would be nice if it could hold a 3000ci back pack along with my tripod/scope. It will be used at elevations of 5000-7500ft, so I'm not sure if a gear change would be necessary. As stated above it will see some trail use, but most of the time it will be on improved roads, two track, or atv trails. Gun and bow mounts will be needed, especially the bow mount. I can sling the gun if absolutely necessary and I don't like my rifle scope being bounced around. Hunting boots will be worn while operating the machine.

Give me your must haves on a hunting rig....

Thanks

It's all about space. Two wheels call for more thought and planning with regard to making best use of it. If you've been an ATV hunter for very long you're used to having buckets of it and lots of acreage to mount your weapons with ease. Guns and bows have to be situated in a manner that not only protects the weapon but isn't a hindrance to operating the bike, and that alone requires some forethought in order for them not to interfere with the best use of space. Putting all your crap on your back will get old after awhile but with some adjustments it really won't be necessary.

You'll gobble up that O.E.M rack immediately with a hard case and have nothing solid on which to attach a scabbard or fuel cells. It's very likely that you'll also exceed the weight limits of the subframe.

Not to brag (much) but I've got the biggest rack of anyone on here and it still isn't equal to the smallest front rack on some of the smaller quads.

My must haves in your situation would probably start with a more substantial rack than your O.E.M. When it comes to the TW that almost always means a Cyclerack. A bigger rack is key to your other plans and means more space for your game and gear and will ultimately make mounting your Kolpin tanks, gun and bow racks infinitely more doable. By design the rack takes most of the direct stress off the subframe, as well.

Next up for me would be an oversized tank to get the fuel between your knees and off your rack in order to make even more space for game, gear, gun and bow racks, etc.

All the little doodads we've all added can come later but if you wanna get out there right away and carry all your stuff I'd start from the back.

Here's mine. My subframe is triangulated by set of Happy Trails pannier racks, but it's the same principle as the side rails and frame mounts built into the Cyclerack. I somewhat routinely haul 130 lb. "Cali bales" of alfalfa on the rack. The Cyclerack is narrower but probably even stronger:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

littledawg, as you may have already figured out for yourself, this lizrdbrth guy knows what he's talking about. You want more fuel, and you want it all in one tank.

The Clarke TW200 specific tank is a little bit bigger and pretty much a straight bolt-on job, but, it really only seems to hold less than a gallon more than the stocker.

The Clarke XT350 tank is a much more committed mod and involves a whole lot more time and energy, but I don't think that any of us who are running an XT350 tank (Clarke or OEM) are anything but thrilled with the painless nature of the extra fuel capacity it offers. It's worth the headache of getting it on there in the first place.

Cycleracks is the way to go too, unless you happen to be very skilled with a welder and can fab up something custom that attaches in a similar way. You can mount pretty much anything you want to a Cycleracks rear rack, including cheapo topcases (lo-pro like used DeWalt cases or big boys like the 8gal Rubbermaid action packer, or whatever soft option you can find at the surplus store) and Kolpin stuff like rifle scabbards, etc.

You can mount that fuel cell you mentioned to the Cycleracks too, but from the sound of things you're gonna want that real estate free for other cargo.

If you're wanting to ride any kind of dirt, a better front tire is going to be your best mod though. The stocker sucks in the dirt. I love my Shinko 244, but there are plenty of options and they're all way better than the godawful death wings Yamaha puts on the front.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

">[media]http://__CODEBOX_0__[/media]This was the set up I used for the first time this last hunting season. It seemed to work well enough, although I wasn't using it any of the days I killed deer. The 25mm ammo can mounted on the cyclerack held enough clothes and supplies, and kept my helmet in the dry while I was out hunting.The old style kolpin gun scabbard is mounted to the cyclerack with a 1/2 " nut welded to the rack.

DeerDawg:

goldenhtr, markxrm and MotoHornet like this.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks guys.... I have somewhere to start.

Just wondering if you know how DeerDawg did the camo on the plastics? I was thinking about DIY rhino lining but not sure how well it would stick to plastic...

3M. From Camoclad, I think. Only way to go. Way better than paint.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    3M. From Camoclad, I think. Only way to go. Way better than paint.

In my opinion gears are critical but I hunt single track areas between 8'-10'. I run 70 tooth rear on my bike and on slow narrow steep technical single track here in Utah I think it is the way to go.
    2007 TW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links