Putting on Protaper bars this weekend
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Any tricks I need to know or just straight forward stuff?
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

pretty straight forward. Just take your time so's not to pinch/kink anything, and your golden.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Unbolt clamps and remove everything. Then put everything on the new bars before clamping them down. Should take you ten minutes max.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The stock handlebars have a small hole on the right hand side that lines up with a nub on the inside of the throttle/kill switch/starter button housing. This is for alignment purposes. The ProTaper bars do not have this hole. I believe that most people do what I did and just file this nub off.

Thanks everyone. Sounds pretty straight forward. I will tackle the nub when I see it. Maybe drill a small hole as the OEM bars.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Dont drill the hole. Losing the nub allows you to move them where you want depending on the angle you set your bars.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Remember tape wrapping can tighten the fit of grips, switchgear and lever perches if they are loose.

Quote Originally Posted by tw200sgp View Post
    Remember tape wrapping can tighten the fit of grips, switchgear and lever perches if they are loose.

Thanks. I planned on looking into this since I want to get some Oxford heated grips and the aluminum can suck the heat away quick so I have been told. I think some electrical tape might work.

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

A blow gun tip for an air compressor makes quick work of removing grips and you can re-use them.
    '09 TW200 - Black Jimbo Shield - Custom Oversize Foot Pegs - Tusk T-10 ATV Sport Bend Bars - Hammer Black Cycle Rack - Tool Tube (Muffler Style Mount) - 15/50 Sprocket - HID Headlight - Custom Mount Ducati Monster LED Tail Light - LED Turn Signals - Eagle Eye Running Lights - OURY Road Grips - Shinko 700 Trailmaster Front Tire.

Ok the bar is on. As usual I was pretty slow. It was a bit of stretch on the throttle cable turning the wheel to lock to the left. I ended up taking off the throttle and throwing some lube on the bar. Also the brake is more of a 3 finger deal.

I used the ATV High bar and they are swept back pretty far. It feels like a 70's dirt bike. I them aligned with the forks right now as think that is proper placement. They may feel better rotated forward a bit but then again the throttle may get sticky.

What is the torque on the stem bolts?

EDIT: I did rotate them forward of being inline with the forks and they feel great that way. I went for a little shake down run and I love them. Now I would like a bit higher foam in the seat to get my legs a bit less bent but the bar feels great. I have some IMS pegs coming next week too.

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links