FMF Exhaust First Impressions
Close

Well, to start off with today had the makings of a great day. Good things come in brown boxes and FedEx and UPS were both scheduled to visit today. Tires arrived from smalltires.com before lunch this morning with a BW34, M6006, tubes, & rim strips, and UPS conveniently arrived just before I got home from work with my FMF Turbine Core 2 universal exhaust.

That's a good start of an evening if ever there was one. On the flip side, the folks at Motorcycle-Superstore.com did a crappy job of packing and there were a couple of dings in the outside of the muffler. Knowing that the clamp would cover the stickers, I peeled the stickers flipped the muffler around and put one of the decals back on toward the front of the muffler such that the clamp wouldn't obscure the view...so to speak...

I had already procured and prepped a TTR225 header that was waiting for the slip on to arrive. Quick change of clothes and it was on. Last week when I replaced the base gasket, I forgot to tighten the mid-pipe bolt, so at some time later in the week, it was donated to the local roadways. 5 minutes later and the stock exhaust was off. The TTR header was attached loosely allowing allowing for a bit of wiggle room and fitment of the FMF universal began.

I remember reading where another member commented on having the connecting pipe bent more by a local exhaust shop and immediately identified with the sentiment. Not wanting to wait to hear the little mill roar, I continued to fiddle with the head pipe angle, mid pipe angle and muffler orientation until I could live with the final configuration. The muffler comes within a gnat's asp of rubbing the tire under full compressions, but I believe it will be acceptable for the time being. I had to fight like hell to get the muffler support lined up with the muffler hangar tab on the frame while incorporating the half inch aluminum spacer that also came with the package. Not quite as hard as I had to fight to get the CycleRacks to line up mind you, but it took several attempts before the screw finally took hold and snugged the whole thing up. I gooped the mid pipe to head pipe connection with high temp RTV and clamped the muffler with the supplied hose clamp. Install complete...

Time for the real test. I hit the starter button and wasn't greeted by the familiar roar that I normally get, but with half choke she fired to life. I didn't get the shock & awe "wow, this is loud" impression until I walked behind the running bike. "Oh, there it is! Yep, that's loud..." The carb preferred another quarter turn on the pilot screw, and with some idle speed fidgeting I was suited up and on the road.

So, for the first impressions...

I was ready to return the exhaust after two highway miles...but it grew on me throughout the evening. Yep, it's loud, which was half the point. Rarely does anyone try to change lanes into me on the VStrom, but it's like I'm invisible on the TW. I've never been a big fan of the "Loud pipes save lives" mantra, but at this point I was willing to break with standard convention. I had already switched to a 130 main jet, which was a bit too rich for the stock configuration at 1300 ft. elevation, so I was hoping the pip would balance things out. With the FMF installed, the bike definitely pulled harder through gears 1-4, to the extent that I hit the rev limiter in 2nd a couple of times and once in third. I was listening and waiting for it to quit pulling...and it didn't. Sweetness!!! Then I got into the 55 mph roadways and checked full throttle WFO pulls...no more stalling! (very, very MINOR stalling with the OE pipe, but stalling it was nonetheless) However, it seems that with my 14/47 sprockets that my top speed is actually less than the rich condition with the original exhaust. WTF, over...? Pulls harder, accelerates faster, but no top end...really? WFO at 62-65 mph and that's all she's got? It sound happy as a lark to be buzzing along at that pace, but she sure as hell wasn't doing anything more!

Normally, 60-65 mph is a slow steady crawl, but once she got there she stayed there barring high hills & headwinds. Now, it seems I can get off the line better, but can't maintain traffic flow like before. I've got to conclude that I robbed Peter to pay Paul and sacrificed some torque for horsepower, but it's not exactly what I was hoping for to tell you the truth. Granted, I wasn't expecting the extra zoom through 4th gear which is a welcome benefit, but the top speed barrier is a tad disappointing.

Guess I just need to withhold instantaneous judgment and try it on the trip to work tomorrow and see if the results repeat on familiar territory for an apples to apples comparison and monitor fuel consumption (was averaging 65 mpg to date) for a better analysis.

Anyways, for those of you considering an exhaust upgrade, those are my fresh first thoughts on the matter and I'll check back in after I've had some time to further test and noodle the subject.

I suspect I'll just chill for a bit until I can swing a WebCams stage 1 camshaft to fully capitalize on the improved flow, but until then...

Cheers,

2006 TW200, LED tail & turn signals, Clarke XT350 tank, hybrid YZ80 forks, CycleRacks rear rack, Ricochet bash plate, TTR225 header, eBay pegs, MSR high ATV bars, Tusk bar risers, Tusk handguards & deflectors, Tusk KX250 stainless brake line, XT225 speedo cable, 14/47 sprockets, Mule-pin seat latches, 130 main, 0.035" shimmed needle, TW34/M6006 meats.

Did you open the intake as well? Sorry if you have and I just haven't read it yet...

No, I haven't touched the factory intake yet. I guess I've been under the impression from this and other forums that messing with the intake runner has a tendency to do more harm than good with respect to overall driveability.

I really don't want to sacrifice a nice steady idle or easy starting to gain a couple mph at top end.

On the plus side, the ride in to work this morning was buzzing along at 65 same as usual with a little bit of throttle left to go, so maybe it's not as bad as I first thought...?
    2006 TW200, LED tail & turn signals, Clarke XT350 tank, hybrid YZ80 forks, CycleRacks rear rack, Ricochet bash plate, TTR225 header, eBay pegs, MSR high ATV bars, Tusk bar risers, Tusk handguards & deflectors, Tusk KX250 stainless brake line, XT225 speedo cable, 14/47 sprockets, Mule-pin seat latches, 130 main, 0.035" shimmed needle, TW34/M6006 meats.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi abyssdncr, I'm using the same exhaust can. You're right, it is loud! I didn't like it at first but I ride with earplugs so it doesn't bother me so much.

I'm curious about you losing top-end and I think the only way to know for sure is to do a couple of WOT chops with a new plug and see how it's burning up there. Might be slightly on the lean side now?
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Hi abyssdncr, I'm using the same exhaust can. You're right, it is loud! I didn't like it at first but I ride with earplugs so it doesn't bother me so much.

I'm curious about you losing top-end and I think the only way to know for sure is to do a couple of WOT chops with a new plug and see how it's burning up there. Might be slightly on the lean side now?

I suppose that's certainly possible. It's weird in that it kinda seems sensitive now. Out at lunch I was having no problem cruising the freeway at 65 with throttle to spare, but coming home she was done at 60. Granted the wind had a bit to play in that... Perhaps I need to motor down to the local stealership and find a 132.5 to try. I've done the plug chops before with an old KZ250 that I swapped the crappy Keihn out for a Mikuni round slide and have to say that the experience was less than definitive. I found the best results just swapping jets and comparing top speeds.

What main jet did you end up settling with?

Quote Originally Posted by abyssdncr View Post
    What main jet did you end up settling with?

Well, I've got the "old style" TK carb. I just tried a 122 in it but that seemed a little fat so I'm going to throw a 118 in there this weekend. Of course, these numbers don't apply to your carb so we can't really compare.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

Well, I tried a 132.5 main jet today. I ripped the carb apart last night to make a few adjustments.

Upped the main to 132.5, shimmed the needle 0.035", and backed the pilot from 1.75 to 2.5 turns out.

She started coughing and sputtering when I cranked the throttle wide open. The decel popping was gone, but performance definitely suffered. Put the 130 back in and all was well. The needle shim solved the popping still and I'm going to blame my top end wall on wind and/or road incline. With the wind (it's KS...there's always wind...), I was buzzing along at 65 no problem tucking to 70. Against the wind and I found the 60 mph wall, but could tuck it up to 65. Can't say the stock exhaust did much better, but I haven't put it up for sale yet.

I think it will really shine paired with the Stage 1 Webcams cam. Time will tell...

Sounds like the pipe will work well with a bit more cam. After a rain knocks the dust from the air you can make a run without the air filter to see what opening up the exhaust will do. I expect not much until you upgrade the cam.

Sponosred Links