Power outlet
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power outlet

I needed a power outlet for a phone charger and my air compressor, Finding a place to mount it out of the way was a bit of a problem. A motorcycle doesn't have a dash like a car, or does it? Two short screws in to the the side of the pilot light box and it's mounted nice and neat.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

I love it! How did you wire it? Is there a special kit or did you just tap in somewhere? I'm sure theres already a thread somewhere but I want to do this for sure!
    Persistence is the better part of genius.

What is that black thing tied to the throttle cable?
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    What is that black thing tied to the throttle cable?
    Tire Jack

r80rt, that looks like a great place to mount the outlet - good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleCowTw View Post
    I love it! How did you wire it? Is there a special kit or did you just tap in somewhere? I'm sure theres already a thread somewhere but I want to do this for sure!
    I ran the hot wire to the battery and the ground to the frame, I already had the tank off so it was easy breezy to do.

That does look good. I may do that. I want to get some creature comforts going on mine. Heated grips and this are on the list.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    I ran the hot wire to the battery and the ground to the frame, I already had the tank off so it was easy breezy to do.
    I guess the outlet must regulate the electricity in some way. I would think it would be risky business to charge your cell or other sensitive expensie device on a hot tap with no other components involved. That said if its working for you I'm gonna go for it.
    Persistence is the better part of genius.

I guess the outlet must regulate the electricity in some way. I would think it would be risky business to charge your cell or other sensitive expensie device on a hot tap with no other components involved. That said if its working for you I'm gonna go for it.
    Don't know nothing about no regulation, and I don't own any expensive sensitive devices, but my phone still works and it's been charged on there a few times

r80rt did his set up almost exactly as I did mine. Only difference is that I used a splitter type of outlet. It has a double socket(cigarette type) and a double USB. The splitter had a folding 'arm' that would plug into the car's 12v outlet. I removed that to give me a nice size modual with the ability to plug in 4 things at once! Had to split it open and solder some wires as I removed the swivel plug. Ran 14GA wires to the battery, through a relay, that also sends power to the heated grips. Getting back to the 'modual', I too mounted it to the side of the pilot light box, however I used 3M tape rather than put a hole in it. As I do know something about voltage and the regulation of said voltage I can tell you that almost all of your expensive electronics only need about 5v to charge. The modual that I modified had the vital electronics in the 'box', not the swivel. I can plug in 4 things to charge, (GPS, Iphone, helmet coms,and tablet)and draw about 5 amps. For my air pump, I ran a second 12v outlet that is mounted to my front rack. It has also been modified. Extending the wires long enuff to go directly to the battery, I used a battery tender extension wire that I plug into the fused Battery Tender pigtail. Yes, this makes it 'hot' all the time. If I need to hook up the battery tender, I unplug the 12v socket, and plug it in as normal. I even mounted the exact same voltage meter in the same place. All this being said, it all works for me, your results may vary.go slow and test it as you install it. TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Why would it be any different from plugging your device into your car's cigarette lighter or other 12v socket? There is nothing but a 15 amp fuse on them, and car's alternator voltages can get up to 16.75 volts. I doubt if a new TW would exceed 14.75 volts.

Millions of people have been doing this since electronic devices using 12V adaptors came out decades ago.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links