New Rear Shock Option?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: New Rear Shock Option?

Noobie here and I've been reading alot of the customization threads and I have to say, the desire to customize here is far more contagious than any other forum I'm on, and that includes a few custom motorcycle building forums. Anyway, I mod the hell out of everything I have, so this kind of stuff is nothing new.

I got my 87 TW200 in December and I've enjoyed it thus far. A few issues on it bother me, but for the most part I like it. I've decided to tackle the completely blown rear shock first. I have no clue how a stock TW200 rear shock performs, but I'm guessing it leaves a bit to be desired, judging by everyone's tenacity in trying to swap it out for something more worthwhile...or it could just be the whole customization thing. Anyway, looking at the prices to replace stock, even with used units which are likely already blown out, I was quickly swayed to get something a little more homebrew. I looked at a few shock cross references and cross referenced that with some other information and came upon a VTR1000 Shock.

The VTR1000 shock is 345mm eye to eye (compared to 335mm for the TW200)

60mm stroke (I'm guessing the TW Stroke is around 50mm)

and 900 lb/in spring rate. I found on the old R6 shock swap thread that the manual indicates "728 lb/in for K1 and 1064 lb/in for K2" so this seems to fall in the middle of that

Looks like it has some sort of damping control

I'm thinking on paper this is a great starting point.

I just purchased on ebay a lightly used shock from a VTR1000 and I'll update as this goes.

Here is a picture of the shock:

I'd like to see what you come up with. Keep us updated.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I'm excited to see how it works for you, I really need to upgrade mine.... Please keep us posted.

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was just looking at the microfiche and it looks like the eye diameters are 10mm:

VTR1000F Rear Suspension - Bike Bandit

So at the very least I'll have to remedy that situation. I might be able to get by with drilling out the bushing, looks like there is alot of meat left on the bushing in the shock. Washers could help me fit it up if the spacing doesnt match, which i'm sure it doesnt, till i get a more permanent solution.

It's always interesting to read about rear shock swaps, seems that the most popular ones add height without adding real travel which is about as appealing as a root canal to a 5'8" fella such as myself.

I'd be willing to straddle an extra 1" or so of seat height for an equivalent gain in travel, but no more at my height.

I've experienced the dunce move of bottoming out while standing lock-kneed, so me and my hernia repair patch understand the value of suspension travel, but me, my 31" inseam, and my KLR also understand what months of commuting on a bike that's too tall for its rider feels like.

Looking forward to a review of the VTR shock!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Interesting and worth trying for cheap.

Has anyone just spent the money and bought a shock designed for the TW (& rider) weight, ratio, and riding style from Works Performance, etc?

I like experimentation but sometimes it makes sense to start right.
    James

Attitude =

The difference between

Ordeal and Adventure

Looks like the aftermarket isnt quite there yet. I looked on their website and the TW200 was absent from their application list. I'm not sure what the process is for getting one made, but maybe you could find out. If they did offer one, it seems you could expect to pay around $500 for one.

I dunno, I'm just looking for any damping whatsoever. Would be nice.

No way no how will I shell out $750 for one of those works shocks... It's a TW not a Ducati

A brand new OEM Yamaha shock is only $240.00

Most of us by tw's cause they are relatively cheap compared to other dual sports.
    Peterb likes this.

Yeah, thats true, but I'm thinking that the TW shock isnt that durable. I have a 1993 CBR600 with 50k miles and the rear shock is still in great condition (I dont know how). My 1987 TW200 had 4900 miles on it when i got it and the shock was completely blown. Granted, I punished the suspension on the TW far more in the last 400 miles than I have the CBR in 4000 miles, but I'm giving something else a go. Also with a shock price like that and the market like it is for these bikes, each time it went bad you could buy a brand new bike and either part out the old one or sell it outright and probably still come out ahead when it comes to operating costs. Blah, im done talking about the economics of shock swapping.

Excellent! Another shock option. Interested in hearing about how this one fits up. Looking forward to updates

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links