FMF or DG?
Close

Thread: FMF or DG?

so,

hey guys. i have a problem with choosing the appropriate exhaust.. i was thinking about the DG-R exhaust a long while ago.. since i have seen some of the forum members rollin with them. but then i found this.. it may not be for the TW specific.. but the engine on both bikes are nearly identical so i figured that it wouldn't realy matter (am i wrong with this?).

so i was wondering.. do you maybe have any experience with one of these exhausts or do you have an idea of what exhaust would be better? please comment!

thanks.

rbm
    I believe FMF makes an exhaust for the TW, no?

FMF makes a custom fit slip on exhaust, FMF Site. But the thing that I am wondering about before spending the money on the after market is which one will give the better performance gain?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A friend of mine had the oval dg with an xt225 header on his 96 and it sounded good. I wouldnt want to take a long trip on it, well at least without ear plugs. Im past my loud pipe stage in life. Now i like them quiet or with just a slight rumble. We took it off for our Moab trip and i may be posting it on here in the classifieds this week.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtechboy View Post
    FMF makes a custom fit slip on exhaust, FMF Site. But the thing that I am wondering about before spending the money on the after market is which one will give the better performance gain?

There's a ton of content on here regarding this question, and the general consensus seems to be that you can't really squeeze much more power out of the TW's engine by changing the exhaust pipe. Aftermarket exhausts are much louder and much shinier than the stock setup, but that's more or less where the difference ends.

You might be able to optimize the performance of your engine if you get your jetting dialed in just right, that is if it's off as-is. You'll have to re-jet of course if you change exhausts no matter what.

Short of rebuilding the engine to a larger displacement, from my reading there's just no way to get all that much more power out of the TW.

Look up some of Qwerty's old posts, he has all of the technical jargon to back this stuff up, and if you're one of the few as dedicated to fine-tuning as Mr. Bracket his build thread is very elucidative as to how elusive squeezing every last drop of power from those 196ccs can be!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I got dg r and love it. Looks and sound. I have silencer but not installed yet. It has deep.powerful.sound. I like it loud so they know I'm there or coming.
    2006 tw200

Sponosred Links