TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Bar End Suggestions?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hoginthebog 
#1 ·
Hey all, I recently posted for help with installing some MSR Billet bar ends in Technical Help.

The ends I got are apparently too small or I'm missing some sort of rubber bushing sleeve (the product was repackaged by Cycle Gear and it was their last one).

Does anyone have suggestions for bar ends that are easy to install on a TW?

My biggest concern is that the throttle tube on my '09 isn't completely open--there is a hole but it's only big enough to accomodate a bolt. Do I have to remove the throttle tube to install a bar end? That seems like more trouble than grip replacement in the event of a lay-down.

Now I've got my new open-ended grips installed but nothing to protect the bars.

Anyone using bar ends? Which ones and how was the right side install?

Thanks,

John

See less See more
#2 ·
You are going to have to take off your throttle tube and slice a little bit of it off so the opening is the same as your handle bars. It won't affect anything. I used a pocket knife with a serrated blade to do mine when I installed hand guards (same principle).

I know that when I installed my Dad's hand guards on his aluminum bars I had to use the rubber inserts, but when I did mine on my steel bars no inserts were necessary. I'm assuming you're missing some sore of rubber insert. I should be a round tube looking thing.

Don't be afraid to slice your throttle tube. You don't need to take off very much...just enough to make the opening match the ID of your bars.

#3 ·
What Rainman said.

When I installed my handguards I used a razor knife to take off the butt end of the grip and a hacksaw to cut off the end of the throttle tube. I did not remove the throttle tube from the bars to do this and I had no problems.

#4 ·
I had the same problem. Go to Walmart or Dicks and buy some cloth like athletic tape. Wrap the inserts and then put them it. It will both firm it up and also work well as an adnesive. The roll is less than $3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.