Keep your cap on
Close

I've read a couple of posts about storage tube caps coming off while riding. So I came up with a pretty simple way to keep them on. Velcro.

Being a hoarder, I have a box of velcro odds and ends. I found some of the hook side with 3M adhesive on the back and cut two pieces to stick to underside of the tube (out of sight) across from each other, one on the cap and one on the tube. Then I cut a strip from a roll of double sided velcro (from harbor freight) and put the loop side down. Done!

I cut the strip a little long so I'd have something to grab. It passes the twist test and the 'multiple on and off test' but time will tell how it holds up to mud and rain. I think it will work out ok if the glue holds.

Pics:

That's a great idea
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

Here's a little trick that I stumbled upon when I mounted my storage tubes to my Pelican case that virtually guarantees that my caps won't vibrate off.

I used nylock locknuts to secure the tubes:

These locknuts protrude enough so that even if the cap vibrates loose a few turns it will still be held captive by the locknuts:

There is enough flex in the storage tube mounting bracket and/or slop in the threads of the cap/tube so that the cap can be readily removed with some effort, but it will definitely not come off by itself:

If your mounting system would not allow something like this, a small strip of something like adhesive backed foam rubber could accomplish the same function as the locknut to secure the cap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good idea Brian. I originally was writing a post looking for ideas to keep the cap on when the velcro idea came. Requirements were that it needed to be simple and not visible.....like your nylock nuts. Maybe there are other ideas too.

I saw an ebay auction selling the tubes with d-rings for padlocking held on with cable clamps. Way too jury rigged looking for me.

Thanks Tirebiter.

The funny thing is that I have ridden multiple 80+ mile days of pretty rough offroad stuff and I can't remember my caps even loosening up at all. That neoprene seal seems to be working pretty well by itself on my tubes. The locknuts just provide some extra security.

i have a similar set up as brian, and yet mine fell off on the maiden voyage of them on the nor cal 150. ?? back to the drawing board.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links