Tried 14/47
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tried 14/47

I tried the 14/47 sprocket combo for about 100 miles. The lower revs were nice on the level, but any hill required a downshift and I ended up going slower up the hill, my gas mileage dropped from 77mpg to 73, and trail riding suffered. I ended up going back to the stock 14/50. Has anyone else been disappointed with taller gearing?
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I have never tried the 14/47 but there have been reports in the past of people trying it and coming to the same conclusion that you did. Then they returned to the stock ratio.

Some people like the 14/47, but you are definitely not the first to come the conclusion that Yamaha's stock ratio makes sense (unless you want to gear down for an off-road advantage).

I like 14/55. Maybe next time try 14/53, 14/54, or 14/55. You might like it.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I like 14/55. Maybe next time try 14/53, 14/54, or 14/55. You might like it.

I like 14/55 too. Haven't tried anything else though.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I liked the 14/47 so much I changed out my wife's dub and my riding buddies dub... We all like it better......... Our gas mileage stayed 78/85.. We ride 90% on hard pack or paved roads............ We rode them out west in the bad lands and south in tenn. and the gearing worked just fine...... OMM.

I have a 15 tooth front and stock rear and am fairly happy for longer runs, but I agree the off road capabilities do suffer a little. Pretty flat here in most areas but I could see where taller gearing would be annoying in some hilly areas. I was wondering about mileage, mine seems to have suffered some also, I just went to an oring chain not that long ago so I wondered if it was the chain some too?
    2008 TDUB

I like the 14/47 for street riding and the 14/55 for offroad. A dual sprocket setup allows the best of both worlds with minimal hassle to switch back and forth.

Just insert or remove a small chain segment.

I had the 14/47 when I bought the bike. Did not like it at all for offroad riding. Now I've gone to 14/52 and love it. Now I can ride the dirt roads/trails in 3rd and 4th instead of 2nd and 3rd. LOVE the 14/52
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    I like the 14/47 for street riding and the 14/55 for offroad. A dual sprocket setup allows the best of both worlds with minimal hassle to switch back and forth.

Just insert or remove a small chain segment.

WOW THATS FREAKIN" SWEET! how did you do that did you just bolt it on with a spacer in between? how do you switch sprockets?

I like the taller gears, im currently running 14/47 and i like it but i want to go a little higher for the street and probably do a 15/47, and it still wont suffer that bad offroad (I know this because my buddy has it) but if I can have the best of both worlds I'll totally go that way if its not a huge hassle.

Also got another quick question..., How does that back tire do on the road at high speeds, I want one but I'm not sure how it will do on the road. Thanks

I like the 14/47-15/50 best for all around riding. To me its the best compromise. It has taken me everywhere that the 14/50 has. I do like the 14/50 gearing better for serious off roading. I ran the 15/47 for a 1600 mile road trip and that is the max i would go. Anything higher it probably wouldnt pull it very well and im only 150lbs. I did take the 50 rear with me incase i didnt like it. One nice thing was that on roads like the blue ridge parkway going uphill at higher elevation you could run 4th at 55-60mph no problem. 4th feels just a tad lower than 5th with stock gearing. On our way back home we were in a hurry and took I-75 for almost 400 miles at 65-72mph. I was glad to have the 15/47 then. Its fine for gravel and dirt roading and it will get me most places off road but you lose alot of bottom end.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links