DIY side boxes on a budget mounted to my Cycle Rack
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By selbmn

Thread: DIY side boxes on a budget mounted to my Cycle Rack

Well, after alot of dreaming of some fancy panniers to hang off the sides of the Tdub, followed by some realistic thinking about how much i really wanted to spend, heres what I came up with. They seem to be pretty sturdy and at least make the bike look a little adventure ready (lets face it, with a few kiddos and a wife that works the evening shift so we can keep our childcare costs to a minimun, the bike doesnt get out for nearly as many fun adventures as it should, for now thats just fine and im content to go for little rides here and there and take the little ones for spins around the yard....but when the time comes and we're ready to ride, the little Tdub will be set to go!)

After a trip to a local store and dropping about 50 bucks for the boxes and some hardware, a couple hours in the garage, a beer or two and a few choice words here and there, heres how it came out....looks kinda nice if ya ask me, and i think they should even hold a fair amount of stuff!

Support bracket

Quick disconnect handles...well not exactly quick, but faster thatn the old wrench and socket set...
    overheat likes this.

looks great!!!
    2008 TDUB

Neo
    I really like the side boxes and the mounting idea. I've been considering something similar.

Where did you find the rubber-lined clamps to attach to the rack? Online or hardware store?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I really like the side boxes and the mounting idea. I've been considering something similar.

Where did you find the rubber-lined clamps to attach to the rack? Online or hardware store?

Yeah those clamps are nice....keeps the rack from getting scuffed up, and adds a little bit of shock and vibration protection to keep the plastic boxes from getting cracked. I found them in the hardware isle of a Fleet Farm, kind of like a catch all store for farm, auto, household and sporting goods...I found some nice little rubber grommets there as well that i used where i mounted all the bolts through the bins, i thought it might help keep water out. Im always amazed at the ideas a creative mind can come up with while wandering the local hardware isles.

love the boxes that you used. Only concern I have for you is that your weight load will be pretty high. TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Quote Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post
    love the boxes that you used. Only concern I have for you is that your weight load will be pretty high. TIM

That's a good point and something I hadn't thought much about. I'll have to load em up a bit and take it for a little drive to see if the handling/steering is affected much. I have seen your set up Tim, and have to say, am slightly envious....I really like how yours looks and its deffinately built a bit more heavy duty than mine....the crossbar between the boxes was acually slightly inspired by yours!

three points of contact evenly as possible. Other than that, its all what works for you. You understand that you can buy just the racks I make? Think it would make a great set-up paired with your box choice. TIM
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Your setup looks great! I just ordered my Cycleracks rear rack and the pannier mounts to go with it. I plan to us the 25mm "plastic" ammo cans as panniers. They're kind of like Pelican cases on steroids If they're too heavy, I'll probably go with boxes similar to yours.

Sponosred Links