TW Cooling Fans
Close

Thread: TW Cooling Fans

Here's some pics. The one inch aluminum strip around the perimeter of the fan is to keep the screen from being bent into the fan blades. They turn at 3K RPM and will break. (ask me how i know

The screen is an RV furnace screen I found in ACE. Cut in half it was too small so I added some aluminum sheet metal to the bottom. Provides a custom look don't you think? Full screen would be better.

I've had a few rides on these and I'm expecting them to hold up. If one gets busted, it won't cost like a radiator on a liquid cooled bike anyhow.

The frame around the fan blades is cast aluminum, not plastic. I was happy about learning this when I was drilling for mounting.

They work really really well!! Drops temps at the plug by 50-60 degrees F.

Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

different breed you arizonans! that must be some slooooooow crawling in july to need two fans. i like the way yours look, well done.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Really glad to see this, I've been very curious.

Sounds like you're getting some significant cooling out of this set up. Did you go with 2 fans from the get-go or did you add a second because one wasn't cutting it?
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    Really glad to see this, I've been very curious.Sounds like you're getting some significant cooling out of this set up. Did you go with 2 fans from the get-go or did you add a second because one wasn't cutting it?

Yeah, Don, my original concept was to have two fans. I thought, "Gee, what if one side is cold and the other is hot?". But that said, air comes from the front when riding and not from the back. And on the Rokon industrial engine, cooling is from a fan with a shroud on only one side. Of course that is designed so maybe the cooling is more or less equal in that example. But not with the air from the front when riding, and not on the back side of the barrel.

And my main idea was to have the fans (or fan) positioned so that it would not interfere with air from the front. That way the fan on the side could almost cause a venturi effect with air coming in from the front.

I pondered all this and decided since I didn't really know the answer or much about what I was doing anyhow, both sides would be the safest. So that's what I did. I do think now that considerable cooling could be had with just one of the fans. If I get ambitious someday I may run them one at a time just to see the difference. I'd particularly like to know if the fan on the spark plug side indicated more cooling from blowing directly on the spark plug. Also would like to check oil temp variations. I have friend with the same temp gauge on his TW. Maybe I can borrow it for the advancement of science.

But for now, it's working very well and I'm wrestling with which rear tire to use and which tube. More on that in a few days in another post.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joe band View Post
    different breed you arizonans! that must be some slooooooow crawling in july to need two fans. i like the way yours look, well done.

Strange breed indeed!!! A birder that rides dirt bikes. Now that's one for the books!! Hee Just kidding of course. My oldest son lives in Santa Clara. I spent about 20 years plus in Pacifica and Vacaville.

BTW, the slooo rock crawling actually produces less heat than a 3rd gear clime up a moderately steep smooth road/trail. I've learned a lot about the temperature behavior of the TW with the little gauge. Much different than a water cooled bike. They get hotter and hotter when stopped idling. The TW cools when idling.

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links