engine starting puzzle
Close

My TW’s engine is past its best. So I have been thinking of a rebuild. I got the offer of a (early) xt225 engine, but it still needs a rebuild, but will give me more power once done. Problem is that there does not seem to be a kick-start on this engine? It seems to be blanked off, and it looks like it’s been that way for a long time, and there is no electric starter either. Can anyone tell me how this engine was started? I can take pictures and post them here soon,

Able

If it's an older model without starter, then they would have to push start it.

Second gear, a little forward motion, and pop the clutch.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Remember the XT does not have a extended sprocket jackshaft like the TW.

So you'll have to get creative with sprocket alignment or rebuild the TW motor with xt parts. https://tw200forum.com/forums/56100/ShowPost.aspx

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, I think it would be better in the long run to put the 225 cylinder on the TW case.

Any tricky offset hardware to get the sprockets lined up would be a fail point I wouldn't want to deal with on the road.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

There are a couple of ways to go with this. To do it well either will require splitting the cases om both motors and in the end either will involve considerable time. Both will be similar in cost depending on the internal condition of your XT motor.

You can machine the cases on your TW motor to accept the XT cylinder and piston. While you're in there you can install the XT crank into your tw cases and have a 223, or a 214 with the TW crank and XT bore.

The other option involves splitting the XT cases and installing the TW 5 speed and output shaft into the cases and re assembing with the TW rotor, stator and left side cover. You will need an early XT right side cover in order to regain the kickstarter hole and you can then use the TW kicker with the larger Xt clutch.

Offset sprockets will put a strain on an output shaft and bearing which was never intended. While it sounds like an easy out it wouldn't do much for peacee of mind to me.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Oh, and early XT motors had the kickstarter hole. So what you have is either a later motor or an early motor with a late right cover.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I am always impressed by your posts Mr. Lizrdrth.

Your vast knowledge on these bikes, and willingness to help anyone here really says a lot about you.

You are a real asset to this forum sir.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links