What can I do about the sucky rear brake?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We all know what a lousy rear brake our beloved Tee dub posses, but what can we do? I heard a rumor that there was a rear disc kit, but I haven't uncovered any actual evidence of it yet.

I see many of you have replaced the TW rear brake actuator with one from a larger bike, but does that really do anything??

Thanks!

Tod

It does. But don't get carried away with it. The longer the arm the more pedal movement required to engage it. More is only better to a point.

Stick to one of the tried and true such as the TTR or XT arms.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 5chord View Post
    We all know what a lousy rear brake our beloved Tee dub posses, but what can we do?

Huh? I can lock my rear wheel at any speed on any terrain or surface. How much more braking power do you need?

Now, if you are talking about braking modulation and feel, then I would agree. The rear brake does not have much in the way of progressive feel, it's only a matter of a few ounces more pressure from hard braking to locked up. You have to train your right foot!

I'm spoiled with the ABS on the BMW, but I have never felt that the TW rear brake was any different from dozens of older dirt bikes with drum brakes, which all exhibit this unpleasant characteristic.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I thought the brake was OK, I must be old and slow.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Huh? I can lock my rear wheel at any speed on any terrain or surface. How much more braking power do you need?

Now, if you are talking about braking modulation and feel, then I would agree. The rear brake does not have much in the way of progressive feel, it's only a matter of a few ounces more pressure from hard braking to locked up. You have to train your right foot!

I'm spoiled with the ABS on the BMW, but I have never felt that the TW rear brake was any different from dozens of older dirt bikes with drum brakes, which all exhibit this unpleasant characteristic.
    I have 2 motocross bikes with rear discs...there is no comparison. Rear disc brake as well as real front forks would be on the top of my improvement wish list

I'm with the O.P.

It blows. Even by 1974 standards.

Get inside to your brake shoes and make sure they aren't glazed or dusted and that the drum lining inside the rim is within spec. A lot of older bikes' drums can be so worn that they only allow contact in the middle of the shoes. If all's well go with a longer arm and frequent prayer.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

There was a member a few years back that attempted to develop a rear disc, but we haven't heard from him for a long time.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I'm with the O.P.

It blows. Even by 1974 standards.

Get inside to your brake shoes and make sure they aren't glazed or dusted and that the drum lining inside the rim is within spec. A lot of older bikes' drums can be so worn that they only allow contact in the middle of the shoes. If all's well go with a longer arm and frequent prayer.
    Great, I thought I was done, and now I gotta scrounge up an XT brake arm. Thanks a lot
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

I just installed a rear disc brake on my TW on the weekend.

Just kidding, here is the link

.http://tw200.forumotion.com/t268-rear-disc-conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky TW View Post
    I just installed a rear disc brake on my TW on the weekend.

Just kidding, here is the link

.http://tw200.forumotion.com/t268-rear-disc-conversion
    Rocky, thanks! LOL

Too bad I have to use a sportbike tire!

Everybody, IMHO the biggest problem with the weaker rear-drum system is the uneven braking pressure during a panic or aggressive breaking maneuver. The front disc will out-brake the rear drum when applied at the same pressure, possibly causing the front to lock up before the back. I have to consciously use more back brake pressure to ensure that the front won't wash out during these situations (Aggressive off-road riding)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links