Oil temperature monitoring
Close

I as going through oil coolers and I stumbled across this...

My linkhttp://tboltusa.com/store/factory-effex-temperature-stickers-p-1745.html

Has anyone used this? My mom used to use something like this on my head when I had a fever! Ha! May be a cheaper and MUCH easier alternative to running a gauge and probe. Think any accuracy will be sacrificed?

Kyle

EDIT: Found this too http://tboltusa.com/store/trail-tech...er-p-1128.html though I feel like combustion temp could greatly cause this to deviate.
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

For another 20 bucks you could get a real gauge and be able to dismiss concerns with accuracy. Just sayin'.

Those tattletale thermometers have come a long way, but the pic is of a waterpumper. I doubt that you would find a suitable place to mount one on a TW Motor.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    For another 20 bucks you could get a real gauge and be able to dismiss concerns with accuracy. Just sayin'.

Those tattletale thermometers have come a long way, but the pic is of a waterpumper. I doubt that you would find a suitable place to mount one on a TW Motor.

I was thinking I'd just slap it on the crankcase. I think I might just get a TTO temp monitor with the sensor and mount it in the plug... Man, I hate when I have to do things correctly.

EDIT: Drain plug, not spark plug.
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nah. There are at least three ways of doing things. Lol. The right way, the wrong way, and my way, which is often a little of both.

But I have played with those kinds of stick-On thermometers in the past. The adhesive is quite good but I'm not certain that it is up to oil or fuel exposure.

In my buisines they are known as "tattletales" because some versions will change color or go black permanently if the piece of equipment has been used under conditions outside its design parameters.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm pretty set on running a TTO temp reader and tapping the oil plug. I'm not sure what's more vital though. Cylinder head or oil temp? My personal preference is to monitor the head so I can check my tuning. And if cyl head temps are low, oil temp should be coming down. BUT, overheated oil is very bad. Ah! I'm at a crossroads! There is a 6 second latency... So I think with monitoring head temp for tuning, this isn't the right tool to use.
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am

Sponosred Links