1994 TW200 Rebuild
Close

Hello Everybody! I have been following this forum ever since I bought my first TW and I love the community on here. So...I decided to document my own TW mod. I bought this 1994 TW200 about a year ago for a heck of a deal. It had 2000 miles on it and now has about 2600 and still runs like a champ. Everything was stock on it and I got bored, so I decided to rent a storage unit and tear into the TW. My primary objective was to reprint the bike from the original blue to a dark green, but I have not had any luck with a durable spray paint. I have tried several different paints including the Krylon Fusion and it still scratches off without any effort. I am not thinking of buying new plastics but I have not found any that I really like. Any suggestions?

Also I may use this opportunity to do a little performance work (jet the carb, new exhaust, etc.). Anyone have some recommendations for me? I am fairly new in the dirt bike world and need some help!

I am posting pictures of the project so far...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

My '94 is torn down at the moment for a rebuilt. It's exactly like yours but is blue/orange. I'm keeping mine stock looking with the French blue and crazy orange graphics and seat.

I picked up a DG O-series exhaust off eBay for $158 shipped. There are 2 version of this pipe - one for '87-'02 bikes and one for the newer '03+. In 2003, Yamaha slightly changed the exhaust mount point location. I also picked up a stainless header pipe from an '07 TTR230 (direct swap) off ebay for $30 shipped. I'm not expecting much of a performance gain but it will sound better. The polished header and exhaust will add some bling.

I got a jet kit from ProCycle that has a few different jets and washer shims for under the needle to fine tune things. The tech section has lots of info on the needle shims and carb cleaning/tuning.

Can't help you with the paint. Good luck with your project.
    '95 TW200G - TCI skid, ProTaper bars, amber Jimbo, DMO pegs, IRC GP-1, DG-O w/TTR230 header, Brisk BR12ZC, ProCycle jet kit, K&N filter, DID x-ring, TCI Sequoia rack, storage tube, JNS light

'04 Buell XB12S Lightning - Drummer exhaust, race ECM, K&N, open airbox, RC right side scoop, Corbin seat, fender eliminator Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Quote Originally Posted by deton8r View Post
    My '94 is torn down at the moment for a rebuilt. It's exactly like yours but is blue/orange. I'm keeping mine stock looking with the French blue and crazy orange graphics and seat.

I picked up a DG O-series exhaust off eBay for $158 shipped. There are 2 version of this pipe - one for '87-'02 bikes and one for the newer '03+. In 2003, Yamaha slightly changed the exhaust mount point location. I also picked up a stainless header pipe from an '07 TTR230 (direct swap) off ebay for $30 shipped. I'm not expecting much of a performance gain but it will sound better. The polished header and exhaust will add some bling.

I got a jet kit from ProCycle that has a few different jets and washer shims for under the needle to fine tune things. The tech section has lots of info on the needle shims and carb cleaning/tuning.

Can't help you with the paint. Good luck with your project.

I have been looking for a TTR225 stainless header, but have had no luck. I am going to take the frame off today. Any thoughts on if I should use spray paint or powder coat for the frame? Powder coating will look much better and be more durable, but is it worth the price?

By the way, how do you add pictures directly on the post? I can only find the place to insert a hyperlink...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWcowboy View Post
    I have been looking for a TTR225 stainless header, but have had no luck. I am going to take the frame off today. Any thoughts on if I should use spray paint or powder coat for the frame? Powder coating will look much better and be more durable, but is it worth the price?

By the way, how do you add pictures directly on the post? I can only find the place to insert a hyperlink...

I gave up on trying to post pics. Went to photobucket like the forums tells you and it just doesn't work for me.

If you were checking eBay, also search for TTR230 header. There's a few listed out there now.

Regarding the frame - if I ever tear everything down to refurbish the frame, I'm going to powdercoat it. The durability is worth the extra cost IMHO.
    '95 TW200G - TCI skid, ProTaper bars, amber Jimbo, DMO pegs, IRC GP-1, DG-O w/TTR230 header, Brisk BR12ZC, ProCycle jet kit, K&N filter, DID x-ring, TCI Sequoia rack, storage tube, JNS light

'04 Buell XB12S Lightning - Drummer exhaust, race ECM, K&N, open airbox, RC right side scoop, Corbin seat, fender eliminator Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Quote Originally Posted by TWcowboy View Post

TWcowboy, Here is a link to the forum thread in how to post pictures. http://tw200forum.co...tos-and-videos/ Though these photo hosting sites have changed, & probably will change again the appearance of there website, the basic information in the thread I started is essentially the same. In the next few weeks I'll update the thread to reflect the changes made to the specific photohost websites.

Plumbstraight, sorry to here you had problems posting photo's and gave up. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. However, you have given me an idea to post a video of how to post a photo and add this to the thread. Maybe that would help you and others in the future.

Admiral
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links