Slowly does it
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowly does it

A little time ago I purchased this 1999 with just less than 2,000 on it for $1,700

All stock, running but in need of TLC (aren't they all)! Plan is to strip down to the bare frame, powder coat frame and other parts black, except tank which will be an army green color (minus the dent, to be fixed), engine being re-built as we speak, up-grade all working parts taking ideas from other T-Dubbers (exhaust, speedometer, headlight, battery, tires etc)! The direction I am heading is it to be a Scrambler/hollow type style with a little more oomph! Oh and I'll keep original seat just have it reupholstered with a base ball kinda covering. Her name will be Recon.

Here's how she stands now:

Progress is slow but life, money and time have all come into affect. My husband just bought a basic welder and we will soon be fabricating brackets and such to attach new gadgets! Once complete she's off to powder coating, re-assemble everything, stand back and take her all in

When all said and done we plan on doing the same to my 2006 just different color scheme (undecided but thinking black/red, black/white). Only add-ons are 47 rear sprocket, DG exhaust, Bridgestone streets and of course cycle rack. Here is Flash:

Big shout out and thanks to ProCycle ... you did a most excellent service Will post more Pictures as as when Recon takes form.

Cheers Zoe

Looks like a fun project.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

eli
    I was thinking of going the black/OD green color scheme as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I was thinking of going the black/OD green color scheme as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Thanks Eli ... as soon as we can carve out some time and get all the welding done it should be a quick process of putting her back together. I can not wait and will post as soon as I have some progress!

Consider swapping the plastics between the two bikes if you're going for the O.D. Green look.

The O.D. look is pretty much "wash and wear" and easily touched up, but Krylon, et al aren't the most durable in flat colors and need frequent touchups if you care about appearance. Rock chips and dings will show through immediately if the base is white. They dangnear glow in the dark.

Dings are less noticable if the base is black plastic. Or just roll with unpainted black plastic and painted tank. Less maintenence.

I used to recoat everything a couple times a year. Only takes a couple of hours to strip the plastics, scuff them and repaint them, but now I just hit the dings with flat black for a camo look. Eventually the bike will have an abundance of black and then I'll either switch to brown or recoat and start over.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Consider swapping the plastics between the two bikes if you're going for the O.D. Green look.

The O.D. look is pretty much "wash and wear" and easily touched up, but Krylon, et al aren't the most durable in flat colors and need frequent touchups if you care about appearance. Rock chips and dings will show through immediately if the base is white. They dangnear glow in the dark.

Dings are less noticable if the base is black plastic. Or just roll with unpainted black plastic and painted tank. Less maintenence.

I used to recoat everything a couple times a year. Only takes a couple of hours to strip the plastics, scuff them and repaint them, but now I just hit the dings with flat black for a camo look. Eventually the bike will have an abundance of black and then I'll either switch to brown or recoat and start over.

Thanks lizrdbrth! I am actually sending everything off to be professional coated. I don't have the skills or proper tools and with the amount of time and effort taken to strip the bike down I want a finish that will last. I want to rid of all plastics ... simple is better in what I imagine. No doubt I will spend as much in the mods and finer touches as paid for the bike but hey ... it's a T-dub and worth every penny. I know she will be with me forever I really appreciate everyone's input though and truly admire those who go alone as your finished results look as professional as the professionals!!! Love your bike too, part of my inspiration!

If you want the real deal see if you can find someone who has real C.A.R.C military paint for your tank.

That stuff is fuelproof and tough as nails.

And be sure to insist that your powdercoater plugs each and every threaded hole and bearing surface in your frame and swingarm before coating. If not you'll spend many a therapeutic hour chasing the plastic out of the holes so your bolts will start, and you'll never get your swingarm bushings back in the swingarm unless you sand the heck out of the inside.

A GOOD powdercoater won't need to be told, but they ain't all good and sometimes even the good ones need to be kept honest.. 10 minutes of plugging the holes on their part could save you a full day of unnecessary labor.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    If you want the real deal see if you can find someone who has real C.A.R.C military paint for your tank.

That stuff is fuelproof and tough as nails.

And be sure to insist that your powdercoater plugs each and every threaded hole and bearing surface in your frame and swingarm before coating. If not you'll spend many a therapeutic hour chasing the plastic out of the holes so your bolts will start, and you'll never get your swingarm bushings back in the swingarm unless you sand the heck out of the inside.

A GOOD powdercoater won't need to be told, but they ain't all good and sometimes even the good ones need to be kept honest.. 10 minutes of plugging the holes on their part could save you a full day of unnecessary labor.

Thanks ... I will be sure to ask. The guy who owns the powdercoating company took our MSF basic rider course, we taught him how to ride, so hopefully he will know how to properly protect a bikes frame .... but again I will double check!! A little prep saves you a lot of heartache down the road!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bike, OD green looks great on them.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Found this awesome looking hollow mod with a green tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links