High altitude jeting
Close

New guy here so be gentle if this is one of those " been asked and answered questions " . I have a stock 2012 TW. My son and I are going up to Lake Tahoe next week to ride some trails and maybe the Rubicon. If anyone has experience or suggestions on altitude jetting (6k-10k feet?) it would save me the guess work.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodymuler View Post
    New guy here so be gentle if this is one of those " been asked and answered questions " . I have a stock 2012 TW. My son and I are going up to Lake Tahoe next week to ride some trails and maybe the Rubicon. If anyone has experience or suggestions on altitude jetting (6k-10k feet?) it would save me the guess work.

I find that the stock jetting works pretty well from 6,000 to 8,000 feet. I haven't taken mine to 10,000 yet. I expect you will find you will lose some power the higher you go.

My TW came jetted for lower altitude and I found that the richer setting made it very weak at higher altitudes. I went to the stock jetting and noticed immediate improvement.

If it has stock jetting you will probably be ok. It might sputter a bit at high rpm's at 8,000ish+ feet. We hit 9,600 in Utah and they ran ok with a bit of high rpm sputter. I hit 13,220' on the old tw in Colorado. She wasnt real happy but she made it over the mountain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info, I will leave well enough alone and see how she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodymuler View Post
    I have a stock 2012 TW. My son and I are going up to Lake Tahoe next week to ride some trails and maybe the Rubicon. If anyone has experience or suggestions on altitude jetting (6k-10k feet?) it would save me the guess work.

I still have the stock 126 jet on my 2010, didn't find any real issues except loss of power at 10,000 to 12,000. Solved that by going to a 55 tooth. At full throttle in 5th it would sputter pretty good, but in any lower gear no real problems. It always started fine. (Made me a little nervous getting to the trailhead on the 10,500 ft. highway, but once on the trail it was fine.)

For extended riding above 10,000 I'm going to put in a 122...only because I couldn't find a 118.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Its gonna lose power no matter what. Hell AMA can't even get Pro Motocross bikes not to lose power with there EFI line up. Its a done deal.

If the stock settings are too lean, they are better when you take them to higher elevations. Ride on and don't worry about power. You have a TW and are not in a hawg pack. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Thanks for the advise. Stock was the way to go. Spent three days up at Lake Tahoe, beautiful views and some off road trails that were amazing. Then went south to Mammoth for a day (two half days really, but would like to have stayed a week.)

At both areas the TW did better than I would have expected. It went everywhere my son could go on his XR-400 (just slower, of course.) Like a proper riding buddy he would wait for me at any road split. He even came back after a couple of steep sandy hill climbs expecting to find me stuck and was amazed to see the TW chugging over the top ( I'm tipping the scales at 265 so not a simple task for the TW's (12hp?)

He even rode it for half a day and stated " this thing is actually fun to ride, its like a mountain goat"

Gotta love the TW, it gave me the ability to spend a week of very quality time just me and my teenage son.

Anyway thanks for the advise and a great forum.

Sponosred Links