Rear Shock Mod
Close

Thread: Rear Shock Mod

Recently purchased a tw200 and had a problem with the rear shock always wanting to kick me over the bars when riding over rocks, roots, and other types of riding. The rear shock didn't squat a whole lot with me on it either. I own a suspension modification company. So, I took some measurements and figured out what I wanted out of the rear shock. I noticed that the ride height was way off and that the rear spring was way to stiff. The stock spring on my shock is an 8.8kg/mm and I needed a 4.6kg/mm for my weight and riding style.

I took the shock apart and spec'd everything out, replaced the seal assembly with a rebuildable seal assembly, revalved the shock with a new piston valve and shims, and converted the shock into an emulsion shock. Which means the shock now is charged with nitrogen from the added schrader valve. I then topped it off with a new spring and installed.

Here is the link to look at the shock that I modified for my tw200. It shows the new spring and the schrader valve installed.

http://wiigstyleracing.com/news/

Quote Originally Posted by wiigstyle View Post
    Recently purchased a tw200 and had a problem with the rear shock always wanting to kick me over the bars when riding over rocks, roots, and other types of riding. The rear shock didn't squat a whole lot with me on it either. I own a suspension modification company. So, I took some measurements and figured out what I wanted out of the rear shock. I noticed that the ride height was way off and that the rear spring was way to stiff. The stock spring on my shock is an 8.8kg/mm and I needed a 4.6kg/mm for my weight and riding style.

I took the shock apart and spec'd everything out, replaced the seal assembly with a rebuildable seal assembly, revalved the shock with a new piston valve and shims, and converted the shock into an emulsion shock. Which means the shock now is charged with nitrogen from the added schrader valve. I then topped it off with a new spring and installed.

Here is the link to look at the shock that I modified for my tw200. It shows the new spring and the schrader valve installed.

http://wiigstyleracing.com/news/

Nice....some mods that are definitely needed

I notice this is your first post, have you lurked at all here or at the old site?...If not, there are a few things that need to be addressed.

Most importantly, the fact that there is a recall on the TW rear shock. A worldwide recall....everywhere but the United States that is, even though they pawned the offending shock off on us by the thousands. They don't feel the need to give us brand new shocks like every other country gets. Now I see by the pics on your site, that you have rebuilt one of the offending shocks. I can tell because of the way the bottom perch is attached to the shock body, The later units had a much beefier attachment weld. I just want to let you know that I have about four of these offending shocks, and one of them is definitely damaged at the perch junction.

So, If you do continue to rebuild these pre 2001 MY shocks, It would be important to beef this area up...Of course, doing so will ruin the factory finish and do other damage to the offending shock absorbers...hence the recall.

secondly, a lot of us want a longer shock...so we've resorted to installing Banshee shocks upside down, they are under-sprung and mushy though.

Thirdly your rebuilt TW shock has no rebound adjuster (not that big a deal if one revalves very close to spot on)

Fourth there are no good aftermarket options for replacement shocks, save for ordering an aftermarket shock from the euro TW guys, or buying one from Works performance

Fifth, the forks suck, and there is little option for changing them out to more modern units due to the TW's unorthodox front end....It would be nice if you could develop emulators for the forks...

YAMAHA MOTOR COMPANY have said it will recall 53,814 motorcycles to replace a defect in rear-wheel shock absorbers on the company's TW200E.

The TW200E's in the recall were manufactured between 1987 and 2001 and all sold in Japan, the motorcycle firm said in a statement. The recall followed six reports of problems with the joint part due to a lack of tenacity, the company statement said. The problem could result in a seizure of the part, resulting a loss of stability. One rider was slightly injured when a TW200E motorcycle with the defect scraped a guardrail, a Yamaha spokesman said.

I redid a shock locally for a guy as well and he said that there was a recall and showed me what was going on with it. I had to revalve the rebound dampening on the shock as well and now it feels like a real shock absorber.

The front forks are off the bike and I am in development with them. I tackled the rear end first cause I was having the most problems with it. Other shocks are a good way to get more peformance but I can't see having a longer shock that would make the kick stand not work properly and making my riding position more up and towards the tank. I had an old banshee shock sitting around from another mod and used it and pitched the idea and modified the stock shock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I redid a shock locally for a guy as well and he said that there was a recall and showed me what was going on with it. I had to revalve the rebound dampening on the shock as well and now it feels like a real shock absorber.

The front forks are off the bike and I am in development with them. I tackled the rear end first cause I was having the most problems with it. Other shocks are a good way to get more peformance but I can't see having a longer shock that would make the kick stand not work properly and making my riding position more up and towards the tank. I had an old banshee shock sitting around from another mod and used it and pitched the idea and modified the stock shock.

You have to use longer forks or fork extenders to use the banshee shock...several members use the tri-z 250 3 wheeler forks, several problems though, 1) .they are 35mm units, the triples need to be bored, 2) they have a long underhang past the axle 3) the caliper mounts in front of the fork tube. 4) kick stand

I am going to try RT180 forks, they will eliminate problems 2 and 3, but they are 35mm units also and the triples have to be bored.

This will make the TW sit proper with a banshee shock, or they can be hiked up in the clamps to sit proper with a stock TW shock.

screw in fork extenders may be the best option if you can dial in the stock forks to work like modern forks.

Another possibility yet unexplored, is the use of 85cc USD mx cartrige forks....this of course would require custom triples.

I have some yz85 forks that I could use but they are still junk unless modified. I already have the springs selected for the mod on the front and I am going to get the ball rolling on the other components I need to revalve.

I have some yz85 forks that I could use but they are still junk unless modified. I already have the springs selected for the mod on the front and I am going to get the ball rolling on the other components I need to revalve.

there was another tdubber from South Africa that had his machinist buddy make some emulators for the stock tw forks, and he said it worked out really well...you'll have to search the old forum archives

Quote Originally Posted by TWrider View Post
    there was another tdubber from South Africa that had his machinist buddy make some emulators for the stock tw forks, and he said it worked out really well...you'll have to search the old forum archives
    Here is a link to that same post but on a local site. The funny thing is the person who did it for me failed to enlarge the original compression holes on the damper tube. I was warned about it so opened them. I am very happy with the front end now though I intend dropping the oil level a bit to see if that will make it a bit softer still.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...1755#msg791755

He also modified the back shock for me but it uses the original spring. Recently he changed one shim to make the compression softer & it has worked really well. It has external compression & rebound damping & I had the compression on fully soft but that used to be too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by tok-tokkie View Post
    Here is a link to that same post but on a local site. The funny thing is the person who did it for me failed to enlarge the original compression holes on the damper tube. I was warned about it so opened them. I am very happy with the front end now though I intend dropping the oil level a bit to see if that will make it a bit softer still.

http://www.wilddog.z...91755#msg791755

He also modified the back shock for me but it uses the original spring. Recently he changed one shim to make the compression softer & it has worked really well. It has external compression & rebound damping & I had the compression on fully soft but that used to be too harsh.

LOL I remembered this from about a year ago....but couldn't remember your handle

and yes, you have to open the holes once you go the emulator route.

PS: that is one of the most detailed suspension posts I've ever seen....was that all on the old TW site first, or was it always over there in your local forum?....It almost needs to be a sticky in the P and C section here.

Are you sure racetech doesn't make emulators small enough? They make them for 35mm forks...which are only 2mm larger....look through their vintage section

Yes that is exactly the same post as on the old TW site (I have edited it very slightly since then). The discussion is different of course.

I checked the Racetech site & they don't list one small enough for the TW. The suggestion for the emulators came from the local suspension guy & I only looked at Racetech afterwards when writing up the report. Sadly the link to the fitting instructions has been taken down.

EDIT: I looked at the Racetech site when I originally wrote that article & there were only about 3 or 4 sizes then as far as I could see. TWRider has now posted a link to the very comprehensive list at Racetech. Problem solved. I really recommend emulators.

FEGV 3301 FRK EMULATOR-26.5 / 19.5 / 13.5mm

don't know if anyone has tried this ^ but there are even smaller units listed http://www.racetech....ATOR_CHART.html

I know they make them for the XT225, because all the xt guys rave about them.

Sponosred Links