Big bore kit
Close

Thread: Big bore kit

There is a TTR225/230 250 big bore kit available from Engines Only in San Jose, CA. $599.99 for resleeved cylinder, 11.5:1 piston, rings and gaskets OR $749.99 for cylinder, piston, rings, gaskets AND custom cam and performance springs...

That kit is a pretty good value, all things considered. But you'll lose about 9cc's (240 vs. 249cc's) and it will produce less low end torque due to the TW's shorter stroke. It will work on TW cases if you open them up to XT/TTR spec.

I've talked with them about it. It's a proprietary kit with a new, thicker liner and they've sourced their own pistons. It's pretty hard to find a 74mm piston with the same piston pin size as the TW/TTR/XT. They're pretty much a cu$tom propo$ition.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I've already done the 225 conversion with high comp.piston, so this is the next step for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think we'd all be curious and grateful if you took one for the team.

Maybe import your fuel from Mexico or someplace with decent gas.

Seriously, it's the "11.5" part that concerns me. But up there in your rarefied air it's gotta be worthwhile.

I've tried sourcing the parts and pieces and their kit price is pretty hard to beat.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

What kind of a price did you find for the resleeved cylinder?

Airwise, I am currently using a 2004 XT225 carb, carb boot and airbox boot going into a modified de-snorkled airbox attached to a heavily ported TW200 head.

L.A. Sleeve will build anything you want and step the liner to fit the case mouth. But that falls into the custom order arena rather than a simple resleeve and you're looking at around 250 when last I axed.

The piston is the biggie and unless you have the crank split and upsize the small end of the rod they really don't exist.Then there's the non-stock head gasket, etc.

I'm guessing that if you could source a piston on your own you could maybe equal their price but I doubt you could beat it by much.

74x58 is exactly the same numbers as the XT250. Mine's an all-rounder, so I'd want a bit less compression. I'll prolly have to roll my own later and settle for 72x58 for now.

Stroking it actually works out to a fair amount less money, but that assumes a perfect rod and bearing..

I'm sure Ronnydog would be interested in your XT carb setup for his TW250. I've not found a way to fit one to the stock airbox without some fairly significant frame grinding

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I did grind a fair amount of metal from the frame gusset which is situated above the carb to get it to fit. I also moved the front part of the airbox rearward about an inch in order to be able to use the XT225 airbox boot, using a plastic welder to seal it up again after cutting it up significantly. The larger XT carb, jetting, XT airbox and carb boots,

airbox modifications (including removing the snorkel) and a 2 layer higher flow air filter have made a significant increase in power and torque for me.

updates on this?

Sponosred Links