Reflecting on the Issue of ...Reflectors!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Reflecting on the Issue of ...Reflectors!

Cool Reflecting on the Issue of ...Reflectors!

I realize this is only a minor 'issue', but not only does it improve the looks of the T-Dub, it also offers a small functional improvement too. I figured this had already been addressed, but was unable to find anything on the subject here on this uber-informative forum, so I figured it was worth posting.

I'm talking about the reflectors mounted to the lower fork clamps. When I recently became the proud owner of a 2007 T-Dub, I was walking around it admiring it like we all do when we get a new 'toy', and they immediately 'stuck out' like a sore thumb - and I mean that literally. Of course I want to keep it street legal and remain as visible as possible, so I knew better than to just remove them.

As assembled, they point forward like little awkward ears and also create a catch point for twigs, vines, etc. when riding an uncut trail.

So.... I just grabbed a socket wrench and in about two minutes I had reversed the reflectors so that the brackets point toward the rear of the bike. This quick fix instantly improves the look by centering the reflectors on the forks and nearly eliminates the pitchfork tine effect of the stock configuration. Oh yeah, don't worry - the reversal poses no steering clearance issues whatsoever.

I realize I could've just posted "Reverse your front reflectors. It'll look better and work better too." ...but that wouldn't have been very fun, now would it?

Keep the dirty side DOWN!
    grewen likes this.

rbm
    I had to go look at mine after reading this. It looks like one of the PO's removed all of the reflectors from my TW

Does anyone have an extra set they don't want/need? I think there's supposed to be one in back under the plate too? If so, please PM me what you want for them. Every little bit helps on the street around my parts. Thanks.

Well, at least you can look on the bright side (reflector pun intended). Once you get a set, you can install them 'correctly' in the first place!

On the subject of the rear reflector - Yes, there's supposed to be one there. However, it is mounted on a gangly-looking bracket and serves very little purpose since the tail/brake light on the T-Dubs are illuminated anytime the bike is running, so there's not much 'value-added' by that reflector other than the off-chance of being out at night with a burnt out tail lamp. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sarge,

I also had the same thought about the mounting of the front reflectors. Changing them as you did was the first thing I did to my Tdub.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    I had to go look at mine after reading this. It looks like one of the PO's removed all of the reflectors from my TW

Does anyone have an extra set they don't want/need? I think there's supposed to be one in back under the plate too? If so, please PM me what you want for them. Every little bit helps on the street around my parts. Thanks.
    I think I may have the front ones without the bracket, and I could take of the rear for you. I'm using the front brackets for my LED aux lights

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmus4357 View Post
    I think I may have the front ones without the bracket, and I could take of the rear for you. I'm using the front brackets for my LED aux lights
    I appreciate that but I'll need the brackets, I have nothing to attach them to.

Just to be contrary, I run mine vertically oriented instead of horizontal.

Also, this way I can say that I have a modded TW. No stocker for me, no sir.

Yer such a Rebel

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

When I got my bike, I stared at those brackets and thought, wonder what those were for? DUH, reflectors! I'm surprised the dealer I bought it from wasn't required to bring it up to code before selling it to me.
    89' Tdub
    10' Victory Ness Vision - a most unique touring bike
    -----
    Philosophy - questions that can't be answered.
    Religion - answers that can't be questioned.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozzledog View Post
    When I got my bike, I stared at those brackets and thought, wonder what those were for? DUH, reflectors! I'm surprised the dealer I bought it from wasn't required to bring it up to code before selling it to me.
    Want to sell the brackets?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links