Comparison of 3 Speedometer Bulbs
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Comparison of 3 Speedometer Bulbs

Comparison of 3 Speedometer Bulbs

Just because it was affordable and mostly because I am a geek, I tried out 3 bulbs for the speedometer instrument light.

The bulbs were:

1. The stock incandescent T10 3.4W bulb (Yamaha part # 4G1-84744-00-XX). Price: about $3.

2. A white 5 SMD T10 LED JDM bulb from e-bay seller K2 Motor (Part # LED-194WH-03). Price: $1.88 for 2 and free shipping.

3. A Natural White WLED-NW5 from superbrightLEDs.com. Rated at 0.3 watts. Price: $3.94 plus shipping.

The pictures below are in the same order as the 3 bulbs listed above (Stock, K2 Motor, and superbrightLEDs.com respectively):

Notes –

•The photo of the K2 Motor bulb (the middle photo above) shows a bluish halo around the perimeter of the speedo glass – unfortunately that cool halo is pretty much invisible to the eye in real-world viewing (bummer).

•All camera settings were held the same for each picture and the background ambient light was the same. I turned automatic white balance off and used a setting of Tungsten for all 3 photos. All photos were taken from the same distance and as close to the same angle as I could get. All 3 photos are from the same speedometer –the trip odometer reading in one picture is different because I bumped the adjuster knob when I was changing bulbs (I was never good at playing Operation as a kid either).

•These bulbs have the wedge base. They just push in – no turning involved.

•The stock incandescent bulb had the tightest fit in the socket and the K2 Motor bulb was the loosest. The superbrightLEDs.com bulb was a bit tighter than the K2 Motor bulb. I am not sure if the K2 Motor bulb will eventually vibrate loose. It might be just fine. I will be your guinea pig and test this and let you know if it ever vibrates loose. Yes, I would do that – just for you!

•If you want to try any of these and you haven’t changed a speedo bulb before, Rainman has an excellent write-up in this thread: speedometer light bulb . (Rainman has many good write-ups – if you run across one of his posts, make sure to click “Like” if you feel so inclined. He does a great job.)

•If you try one of the LEDs remember that they are polarity sensitive so if you plug one in and it does not light up then just rotate it 180 degrees.

This is what the bulbs look like:

SUMMARY

•The LEDs will probably last longer. However, it is not like a burnt out speedo bulb is going to leave you stranded so it really isn't that important. The LEDs do seem to illuminate the trip odometer slightly better (applicable on the later year TWs).

•The LED lights provide a slightly different color light than stock incandescent. (Amaze your friends with your modding abilities!!!)

•The LEDs will consume less power than the stock 3.4 watt incandescent. The superbrightleds.com light is only 0.3 watts. (I couldn’t find a power rating for the K2 Motor LED).

•Out of all 3 bulbs I like the K2 Motor bulb the best because of the color of its light and the extra trip odometer lighting (compared to stock) – it is also by far the cheapest. However it also had the least tight fit, which may or may not be an issue.

•The stock bulb is just fine. Only a geek would worry about upgrading it and only a REAL dweeb would take the time to write up a comparison.

I hope you found this post illuminating.

I must be a geek because I'm about to order some of these. Nice write up!
    Tom Bettiker likes this.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Thanks - interesting write up -= welcome to the dweeb club

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm too lazy to look right now but do they come in red?

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I'm too lazy to look right now but do they come in red?
    Yep. superbrightLEDs.com has them in red for when you are infiltrating the enemy hideouts.

thanks for taking the time. btw: you touched his funny bone!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks for the very nice write up.-----------------------------------------pause------------------------------------- DWEEB. (o;. OMM.

I took apart my drag specialties speed o meter and put in a blue led light. Hella brighter and way cool looking.

Quote Originally Posted by old white truck View Post
    Yep. superbrightLEDs.com has them in red for when you are infiltrating the enemy hideouts.
    Wedge Bulbs | Specialty & Automotive | Universal LED Bulb Finder | Super Bright LEDs
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by old white truck View Post
    Red is purty and it keeps wolverines fromm stealing my loonyum foil hats.

old white truck likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links