Hollow mod update
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hollow mod update

Hollow mod update

UDATE: With some free time at hand we have managed to finish up loose ends and prepare to send off to get powder coated. Home-made mud guard welded on (just sheet metal from home-depot cut to size) along with battery and electrics tray. Went slightly in a different direction with the actual battery tray part (see pictures) allowing more room for the electrics. Battery tray was made out of a tin purchased from Goodwill at 79 cents! Tin was cut in half so one section could be re-purposed as a lid (riveted together). Electrical tray was originally a baking pan ( 7 1/2 by 11) at a whopping $1.99 ... perfect fit! Still filling in some gaps with liquid metal by bondo. Once powder coated should appear seamless. Here's the results so far:

The other pieces of metal welded to the frame are to hide a tiny gap between the seat and frame (see picture). Just looked odd ... thanks to mattmus4357 for point that one out. Ordered a new head light (ebay $68) along with universal brackets (ebay $10). Wanted to keep brackets even (without bending inwards) so in order to do this had to jimmy rig some extenders using simple hollow pipe with long screws threaded through to attach head light. Brackets also accommodated turn signals. Here's the look:

Forgot to post picture of seat with the gap hidden:

Again once powder coated (black) should look as one ... grass hopper!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looks like its coming along nice. I like your idea of the baking pan tray. You might have to drill a few holes in there. It helps to have a place to run zip ties through. What is your overall goal with the bike? As in color scheme/tires/etc?

Bart

Thanks Bart ... and yes your build had been an inspiration I am sure there will be much to alter and adapt as we start putting back together. My first re-build so very much a learning process. For this bike (I have another T-dub waiting patiently for the same thing) I will be going for the black frame with army green tank (with white star decal), base ball vinyl seat cover (being done as I type) with matching color grips. Basically a across between a Triumph scrambler and my take of a military style look. The only other part I have received but not yet taken a picture of is the exact same front fender as you have (Daytona). My other T-Dub will be my take on a police looking bike complete with faux sheriff badge attached to tank (black frame, white tank). But let's pay for this one first lol. The bike I am doing now is a 99 and we have already had the engine rebuilt ... just needs to be put back together. Did you end up buying a new shock or painting the spring. I have the same dilemma as you did as yellow will just not do for the overall look! Was looking at popping off the stock and replacing with a black spring.

I will be using the bike for street use. But tires can easily be switched ... right?!!

Either of you know how to disassemble the spring?, want to get the coil painted.

If you have a machine easy to switch, if not its a massive pain in the ass. Although most garages will do it for you for around $20.
    First time i took tires off it took me over a hour with the help of a friend. After that i didn't even want to try put them back on so got a shop to do it.

The shock was actually the biggest pain. I bought a cheap spring compressor that worked to get the spring off, and then I taped off spots on the shock that I didn't want painted, and then sand blasted and rattle canned the rest. Then, with the spring, I tried to sand blast it, and what I found is that it has some sort of plasti-dip type coating. I would come off with the sand blaster but it was really, really slow going. So I ended up just blasting the whole coil to rough it up and give it a texture. I then sprayed it with some rattle can bed liner. I wanted to hit it with a thicker type paint since it moves a little. I hate using rattle can on anything, but for the shock, this was the easiest option and it just kind of blends in now. I couldn't find a black spring anywhere to replace the freakin' ugly yellow one. I'll be honest, I don't understand color at all. I freakin' hate all the jazzy bright colors of dirt bikes and dirt bike gear and what not. To me, the simpler the better. I know, I know, safety and visibility, blah blah blah. But come one, these are motorcycles, not Jackson Pollack paintings. I don't understand it, but stuff like this gags me:

combustcombo-300x255.jpg
    And the best part is, the bikes are made to match!!!

Mad Max FTW!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by FlashTW200 View Post
    I will be using the bike for street use. But tires can easily be switched ... right?!!
    I don't think you will need to switch the tires, just get a nice dual purpose tire and run those full time. Or, better yet, watch eBay and get a used set of wheels and just keep street tires on one set and knobbies on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tuhinuhi View Post
    Either of you know how to disassemble the spring?, want to get the coil painted.
    Do you have a bench vice? If so, that plus one of these works:

Amazon.com: motorcycle shock coil spring compressor tool kit xs cb: Automotive

That is the one I have. But be aware, it isn't the best tool. Its made shitty and it WILL bend under pressure. The trick is to go real slow, and make sure you have the compressors positioned well opposite eachother. Keep and eye on them for slipping. Also know you only have to compress the spring a little to get it apart.

Bart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links