New TW, now to prep it for adventures. Advice?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New TW, now to prep it for adventures. Advice?

New TW, now to prep it for adventures. Advice?

Hey there,

New TW owner here. I've been lurking this forum for a while actually since I've been looking for a tw for a couple months now. And I just picked one up. Quite happy with it so far too. Picked up a 2008 TW200 with 1700km on it in great condition. Already came with the cycleracks front and rear racks which I was looking to add anyways.

do mind my sweet ass Elite 150 in the background

I'm planning a longer trip come September, a mix of on and off road riding so I'm trying to get a list off accessories I'll need for this adventure and future adventures to come. This first trip should be a couple thousand km's by the end of it. Here's kind of what I have so far. Im not on a shoestring budget or anything but I'm not looking to go broke either. My Idea is to camp along the way so I want to set my tw up with a Rotopax water and fuel pack in the front, build some ammo cams on the sides of the rear. Then strap a duffle bag and backpack on the rear rack, small rolie on the tank. Also interested in finding a solar charge to throw on the front rack since you cant really put too much on it without blocking out the light. Anyways here's my list so far;

Body
    -Jimbo shield (if they're available? I just email him?)
    -Tusk D-Flex Handguards (ATV Parts, ATV Tires, Dirt Bike Parts, Motocross Gear, Motorcycle parts and Motorcycle Tires | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC)
    -Seat Concepts Foam & Cover Kit (Parts + Accessories + Performance = ProCycle)
    -MotoLock Tube & Tube Tender Kit (www.thetooltube.com)
    -Bag Supports Front + Rear (cycleracks.com > Home)
    -Rotopax 1G fuel + 1G water packs & mounts

Luggage (Wolfman Motorcycle Luggage & Bags:)
    -Expedition Dry Duffel - Medium/Large
    -Small Rolie Pack
    -Harness for flat tank

Engine / Electrics (Parts + Accessories + Performance = ProCycle)
    -Counter Shaft Sprocket - 15T
    -Rear Sprocket - 47T (not too sure about this)
    -LED Bulb for Stock Tail Light
    -Extra Spark Plug

Tools
    -Tire Iron Wrenches
    -Inner tubes or patch kit?
    -multi tool
    -various sockets
    -Small air pump

So is there anything that's obvious I'm missing? or is anything here excessive?
    Last edited by Braden; 07-22-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Welcome Braden,

I am sure you will get lots of replies. I have a few quick thoughts/cautions off the top of my head:

• Having 2 gallons of liquid on the front might be too much weight for the front end.

• I would consider sticking with the stock front and rear sprockets unless you have some special reason to re-gear. Especially if you are going to be spending some time off-road and are expecting to encounter hills and headwinds on-road. Get some seat time with your full load before your trip and evaluate.

• I would add an inline fuel filter between the petcock and the carb - it is cheap and easy insurance.

Sounds like fun.

Some oversized foot pegs. I got mine off ebay for about $22. Make sure you get steel. Mine fit perfect right out of the box. Took about 5 minutes to install and I was really surprised how much of a difference they made for comfort, stability, confidence, etc...
    1991 TW200: Jimbo windshield, oversized foot pegs, quick release seat bolts, Tusk D-Flex hand guards, Yamaha luggage rack, Emgo trunk, 2 storage tubes, Bridgestone TW203/204 tires, LED taillight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Maybe have a look as to what I've done . Sounds like you are trying to achieve something like this.
    have a look at photos on page 3 of link below

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...appy-bike.html
    Last edited by old betsy; 07-22-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Braden likes this.
    1997 TW200 The Happy Bike

2012 ZX14R 190HP +

2009 F800GSThe Best Adventure bike

Regearing will likely be a bad plan with all the gear and accessories you've in mind. Your bike will be considerably heavier and combined with wind resistence you'll find it tough to maintain speed even with stock gearing.

Consider applying the Rotopax money toward an oversized fuel tank, instead. Fuel won't be hogging up valuable real estate and the weight will be where it belongs.

Consider bladder type water storage. It's lighter. more versatile, both expandable and collapsible with no heavy bracketry required. By using more than one you can distribute your water load at will and place it almost anywhere you want and your eggs won't all be in the same basket so ta speak.

r80rt and PlacerLode like this.

Lots of good advice already.

If you're not gonna play with tire air pressure much by adding and removing air for different road conditions, you may want to try "ride-on" tire sealant. Also helps balance the tires.

In regards to your rear rack luggage, I'm thinking of rigging up an old back back frame upright. Might give you some back support as well. Got the idea from seeing a harley with a sissy bar backpack attached.

I'd also like to add, I like using a camel-bak water drinking bladder. Easy access to drinking water while still moving!
    Last edited by admiral; 07-23-2013 at 08:28 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Alright,

Thanks for all this advice! Definitely have re-thought my ideas. New plan new plan;

-Keep stock gearing
    -small ammo can panniers on the front rack
    -Rotopax 1G fuel tank in the back left side or on the rack like Old Betys' Happy Bike (clarke tank is a little over budget for me)
    -Use a water bladders + camel pack
    -Add a 90° bend in-line fuel filter
    -DMO FootPegs

I'm still curious how I could go about getting a jimbo shield. Are they still being made? I've sent him an e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    I'm still curious how I could go about getting a jimbo shield. Are they still being made? I've sent him an e-mail.
    Yes they are. I am sure he will soon respond.
    Last edited by old white truck; 07-23-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: correct a typo

Always fun to see how people outfit their Tdub... Here's a link to what several people have done: https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...ady-tw200.html

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Newcomers may not be aware of this but Jimbo's real job as a firefighter makes for an. unpredictable and demanding schedule, particularly at this time of year. I hope he wont mind my speaking for him but give him some leeway. He'll do ya up right and you. will love what comes in the box.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 07-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links