520 chain ans sprocket conversion?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lizrdbrth

Thread: 520 chain ans sprocket conversion?

520 chain and sprocket conversion?

Hey, all.

I have a 2000 TW200 with about 4K miles on it.....and the chain and sprockets are already toast. I had found a thread about a month back regarding a 520 sprocket/chain conversion, but it's lost somewhere in the depths and I can't find it again. I'm thinking it may make it less of a hassle in the long run, maybe a longer lasting setup.

Does anyone happen to have the link to the thread handy? And is it worth doing? I do about 50/50, and I've taken her on some pretty gnarly trails, and have had issues with throwing the chain more than once with the stock setup.
    Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by jeadra View Post
    Hey, all.

I have a 2000 TW200 with about 4K miles on it.....and the chain and sprockets are already toast. I had found a thread about a month back regarding a 520 sprocket/chain conversion, but it's lost somewhere in the depths and I can't find it again. I'm thinking it may make it less of a hassle in the long run, maybe a longer lasting setup.

Does anyone happen to have the link to the thread handy? And is it worth doing? I do about 50/50, and I've taken her on some pretty gnarly trails, and have had issues with throwing the chain more than once with the stock setup.
    Thanks so much!
    Aside from being an additional and unnecessary expense, heavier chains and sprockets will only be....... heavier. 13 horsepower does not warrant the 520.

If your chain is coming off it is due to them being "toast". The stock roller chain will wear out quickly, as you have seen.

My .02 is to replace them with a high tensile strength o-ring chain and new sprockets in the stock sizes and you'll probably never have to replace them again. 13hp does not warrant a high-tensile chain from the standpoint of strength, either. But high tensile strength is an indication of better materials, so get the highest tensile strength you can afford and it will probably last for longer than most folks will own their bike.

jeadra and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Thread On The Subject https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...520-chain.html

I ditched the garbage stock chain and went to a 47t sprocket right after I bought my bike new.. I went with a HD regular chain and clean and lube frequently. I've almost have 5k on it now with very little wear.
    Last edited by rm_hm; 07-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Right. Thanks for the quick reply!
    If I do a conversion, I can still see it being a hassle in the future as far as remembering to order the right parts...I'd like to avoid that if possible. If I won't get any sizeable benefit out of it, it's not worth the trouble.
    O-ring it is, then. But I'm not sure about dropping to a 47t or keeping it the stock size...It's got plenty of grunt on the trails, and I can manage to keep up with the bigger dual-sport riders on pavement at about 70mph, but that's pushing her a bit.

Your gonna blow it up @ 70mph , my '05 has 15/47 set up and it does great off road and lower rpms at 60mph

Handy Kapped on Youtube
    Ride it Like you Stole it!

Go with a good quality brand (DID, EK, or RK) O or X Ring chain, and be done with it. They don't wear as fast if at all if you keep it clean and a little lube once in a while. It's the only way to go, period. Don't get a cheap brand though. Expect to pay $60 + on a good chain. The cheaper ones are crap, and won't last as long. Investing in a good one is much cheaper in the long run. You need to get new sprockets front and rear when replacing the chain.
    Last edited by Werloc; 03-06-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links