An easy Duro install
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vagabond

Thread: An easy Duro install

An easy Duro install

Brown truck brought a Duro Power Grip 26x8/14 and Bridgestone 180/80-14 tube Friday. Installed by 2 Saturday afternoon. Odd tire; in this photo next to the old Bridgestone TW32, note the Duro's lopsided shape. Lots bigger on the right side. The bead measured bigger; the right side is 14"; the left side measured 13 7/8" Tire weight 23.5 lbs.
    P8021001.JPG
    I got some water soluble tire goop from a tire shop- they usually mix it with water and let it stand overnight- I used the straight goop, looks like light grease. Super slick, so much so your tire irons scoot all over the place. Got the tire on the rim with a minor struggle and a little sweat. From some previous threads, had noticed the difficulties- and solutions- of others such as Retrofit. Noticed that at very low pressure (5PSI or less), I could slide the tire across the rim. I could push down on one side and get the concentric rim marks to show on the opposite side. You wish it would stay perfectly concentric so the whole bead would pop on at once, but no matter what trix you try, it wants to go to a side- which you can influence or choose, and the other side will not pop.

Took it to 70 PSI and set it in weak sun for an hour- maybe 75-80F. Set up a 50 foot compressor hose with a lock-on valve stem fitting. Ran pressure to 90 and the large side popped on. Both sides had left the non-seating area near the valve stem. So, let all air out, worked the tire so the non-seating part of the bead was somewhere besides near the valve stem, and re-inflated to near 100 psi. Another satisfying pop. No problems.

The weird offset/ lopsided shape had caused me some concern- deflated it looked like a defective tire. Inflated, it came perfectly square and true. Have had it up to 45 mph, no issues. Also installed Ride-on balance & seal in front and rear. Can feel the balance effect, particularly on the front tire. May over-dose the Duro by 4 oz.

First mount the tire on the rim, now mount the wheel on the bike.

The first whack at this was to cut off the inside chain guard mount; not using the guard due to the dual sprockys. Put the wheel on the bike, note that it rubs with the snails at 3. That's about where the chain length for the road 50T sprocket wants to be. So, I added the extra chain for the 68T low gear and we're out to 7.1 on the snails- and everything clears. Time to go for a ride wit da new treads!!
    P8031005.JPG
    At crawl speeds you feel each bar, knob. Slightly faster there's a funny wobble like the bike is shakin' it's ass. Makes ya laugh. At around 5-7 mph all that smooths out and from there up it's amazingly rideable. The larger circumference means the bike is now geared higher but that's not news. At 19PSI with a fairly heavy TW and a 200 lb me, it seems to me to be a soft lean and slow recovery at 40-45 mph, maybe a brief resistance moment when you begin the lean. Have also noticed a minor bump steer effect occasionally but neither pronounced nor worrisome. Long story short: the Duro is here to stay- great tire.

There's still some work left to do. I'll tinker with chain length and see where a link or step link will put the wheel. Worst case is stretching the swing arm an inch or so, not the end of the world. More sooner --

Roy
    Scutler likes this.
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

That Duro looks awesome! Sounds like it was a bit of work, but nothing compared to some of the ATV tire horror stories I've seen before. You must be doing something right! Congrats.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Thanks Don...I hoped I had some ideas & tricks that would make it easier. I too have seen some very troublesome tire installs. While ya couldn't call this a 'typical tire install', it wasn't that bad.
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

They are great tires. Definatly a weird feeling as you try to "lean". Mine poped at 80 psi after using some synthetic chain lube on the trouble spot.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

No bought adoubt it, different from what I've ridden before, but no issues no real problems, ride very well at highway speeds. Definitely larger circumference than stock, so the bike is higher geared. Goes faster at lower engine R's but when climbing hills even less power than before. All to be expected. Traction in 'low range' is nothing short of incredible. -- R.

Sponosred Links